Root! Root! Root!

thebes

Thebes is very excited, wet your pants excited, because tomorrow night I'll be seeing the Root Boy Slim All Stars, a gathering of former bandmates of the iconically dead Root Boy Slim and his band, The Sex Change Band, complete with original Rootettes!

Just think of the hits I'll be listening to:

Boogie till ya Puke

Christmas at Kmart

They Call me Lefty, Left For Dead

My Inflatable Doll

You took my Mood Ring

I'm Not to Old for You (30, 31, now 32 and you're still in high school)

Hicktown Pizza Hut Woman

So Young, So Hip, So Lame

Our Little Mistake

While Root may be an acquired taste,  anyone who ever heard the band will tell you that they are some of the best players in the business.  Memphis boogie woogie meets classic rock, one of the best ax players in the country and energy to spare.

Rather then drive home after the concert, I've booked a nearby hotel in case I get lucky with one of the Rootettes.

Here's what today's Washington Post had to say about the event:

Root Boy Slim All Stars

Show: Saturday at Bethesda Blues and Jazz. Show starts at 8 p.m. 240-330-4500. bethesdabluesjazz.com. $25 in advance, $35 at the door.

With his anarchic presence and such tunes as “(You Broke My) Mood Ring,” Root Boy Slim monopolized the spotlight whenever he was onstage. But the Takoma Park parody-blues singer always had crack musicians behind him, as a dozen of them will demonstrate this weekend. They call themselves the Root Boy Slim All Stars, and they’re expanding the legacy of their departed frontman, who died in his sleep in 1993.

The occasion is the 40th anniversary of Slim’s local debut at the bygone Psyche Delly, whose location is a short walk from this show’s venue, Bethesda Blues and Jazz. Slim (born Foster MacKenzie III) was backed by several outfits over the years, but the most famous was the Sex Change Band. All but two of its surviving members are set for this gig: They include such noted musicians as guitarist Tommy Lepson and saxophonists Ron Holloway and Marshall Keys.

The All Stars promise 20 Root Boy songs, some never before performed live, and clips from an upcoming documentary, “Boogie Til You Puke: The Legend of Root Boy Slim.” Some may question Slim’s legendary status, but there’s no disputing the chops of the players who are keeping his rueful boogie alive.

• Like 2

Sounds like you must have to be very drunk plus wear something that hides your identity.  Too many cameras to be caught at something like this.

Edit:  Just watched the "Puke" video on you tube.  I stand by my comments.  That is some sick $hit.  :D

On 8/26/2016 at 2:22 PM, thebes said:

Thebes is very excited, wet your pants excited, because tomorrow night I'll be seeing the Root Boy Slim All Stars, a gathering of former bandmates of the iconically dead Root Boy Slim and his band, The Sex Change Band, complete with original Rootettes!

Boogie till ya Puke

Christmas at Kmart

My Inflatable Doll

You took my Mood Ring

Hicktown Pizza Hut Woman

Our Little Mistake

While Root may be an acquired taste,  anyone who ever heard the band will tell you that they are some of the best players in the business.  Memphis boogie woogie meets classic rock, one of the best ax players in the country and energy to spare.

Rather then drive home after the concert, I've booked a nearby hotel in case I get lucky with one of the Rootettes.

Here's what today's Washington Post had to say about the event:

Root Boy Slim All Stars

Show: Saturday at Bethesda Blues and Jazz. Show starts at 8 p.m. 240-330-4500. bethesdabluesjazz.com. $25 in advance, $35 at the door.

With his anarchic presence and such tunes as “(You Broke My) Mood Ring,” Root Boy Slim monopolized the spotlight whenever he was onstage. But the Takoma Park parody-blues singer always had crack musicians behind him, as a dozen of them will demonstrate this weekend. They call themselves the Root Boy Slim All Stars, and they’re expanding the legacy of their departed frontman, who died in his sleep in 1993.

The occasion is the 40th anniversary of Slim’s local debut at the bygone Psyche Delly, whose location is a short walk from this show’s venue, Bethesda Blues and Jazz. Slim (born Foster MacKenzie III) was backed by several outfits over the years, but the most famous was the Sex Change Band. All but two of its surviving members are set for this gig: They include such noted musicians as guitarist Tommy Lepson and saxophonists Ron Holloway and Marshall Keys.

The All Stars promise 20 Root Boy songs, some never before performed live, and clips from an upcoming documentary, “Boogie Til You Puke: The Legend of Root Boy Slim.” Some may question Slim’s legendary status, but there’s no disputing the chops of the players who are keeping his rueful boogie alive.

Sooooo How was the show Thebes????

I'm lovin this LOL

Root! Root! Root!

A great time was had by one and all.  The band was killer, about a dozen or so on stage. They played all the crowd favorites plus a couple of encores. The guy doing the singing for the departed Root Boy (fellow classmate at Yale with Bush) was pretty good, but lacked the gravel voice an odd behavior that made Root such an onstage presence. 

The venue was a converted old movie theater now set up for dining on the main floor with rows of seats at the back. The sound system was excellent with tight controlled bass.  However, the 12 year old kid operating the new all digital mixing board must speak in garble, because the singing was constantly garbled.

This was a staycation for me.  Even though the venue was a little over 30 minutes away from my home, I still rented a hotel room, hit a pricey chop house with a nice 3 piece jazz band for dinner, and literally walked across the street when the show was over.

I leave you with the following lyric:

Inflatable Doll

Root Boy Slim (Foster MacKenzie III)

"I was lookin' for a decent girl

I looked all over the east coast

But the one that impressed me

Held me and caressed me

The one that who really means the most

She's my woman, she's my lover, she's my friend

Into any position she would bend

She's my inflatable doll

My inflatable doll

She looks about fifteen

Miss Polyethylene

She got ruby lips

Shapely hips na na na na

She's my kinky, kinky, kinky, kinky, queen

She whispered "You're the first"

Just before she burst

She's my inflatable doll

My inflatable doll

I tried to patch things up

To pump her courage up

I was so elated

When her breasts were reinflated

Up to that triple D cup

The only girl I want yeah yeah

Thanks alot, thanks alot to her

She my inflatable doll

My inflatable doll

On 8/26/2016 at 0:22 PM, thebes said:

Boogie till ya Puke

Christmas at Kmart

My Inflatable Doll

You took my Mood Ring

Hicktown Pizza Hut Woman

Our Little Mistake

I grew up in the DC area and remember Root Boy Slim fondly from the old WHFS. Loved Xmas at Kmart and it's a shame more people don't know that song.

So glad you had a great time at the show. But you didn't mention how it went with the Rootettes?

Edited by onemoretime
Updated b/c concert already took place.