new to me 1972 speaker lab k horn

HIFI4EVER

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn-70th-anniversary-edition

You can see that Klipsch enclosed the backs of the 70th anniversary edition.

Some other on the forums have done something similar to their own, or as Paul Klipsch described, built false corners. For the best performance, being placed tight into corners gives the best bass response and overall tonal balance.

You should try doing searches on the forums. At the least, reading will help to inform you more on the designs, tradeoffs and genius of Paul Klipsch.

Bruce

I'll make a suggestion beyond what Diz said. 

The goal is to recreate the triangular cut out with some accuracy.  But you don't have to do that with the first cut.

I'd make a first exploratory cut where you are sure it is two inches smaller or so on each side than needed.  Then you have a hole and you can feel around to determine just how much extra you have to trim.

In the distant past I had posted a picture of a feeler tool to determine where a perpendicular board actually meets its mate in a T so you can drill to the edge from the top with accuracy.

It looks like a tuning fork.  You can use a 1 x 3 about 8 inches long.  Then cut a 3/4 inch slot (edit, or whatever thickness you are working with) in it about 6 inches down to form a tuning fork- like device.  Then you can use this as a probe.  I know, difficult to understand.

Regarding the matching of woofers to the application.  Don Keele came up with a way to do this using T-S parameters.  The T-S parameters of the SL woofer show its not a good match.

WMcD

• Like 1

If that last pic on the other page is the back of your speakers....it looks like those have a enclosed panel so they do not need corners. If you take that panel off the access panel is behind that. If not and you have to cut a hole that's pretty easy to do.

As far as sealing and confirming the seal.... its pretty easy to do but hard to explain on here. But I have a way to test the airtightness of the woofer chamber and it works. PM me and call me I can explain it to you.

My 74 k-horns had a few leaks and I sealed them up.

As far as the bass not keeping up with the highs like you say ...that because these need to be in corners and have a foam seal to the corner.

You can build a new crossover or buy one from Bob Crites I'm sure the one on the speaker is way out of spec.

If you build enclosed backs  [or false corners]  and maybe extend the backs a foot or more it will help also. But they really need corners to preform as designed.

Here is the "tuning fork" which I mentioned.

I'm suggesting that you can use it to probe.  On the shorter sides of the triangle you'll find the edges of the back chamber.

On the long side you'll have to get even with the motor board which does not abut that side wall. Thus you'll have to estimate.

tuning fork.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:18 AM, ricktate said:

If that last pic on the other page is the back of your speakers....it looks like those have a enclosed panel so they do not need corners. If you take that panel off the access panel is behind that. If not and you have to cut a hole that's pretty easy to do.

As far as sealing and confirming the seal.... its pretty easy to do but hard to explain on here. But I have a way to test the airtightness of the woofer chamber and it works. PM me and call me I can explain it to you.

My 74 k-horns had a few leaks and I sealed them up.

No, that is what I want though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the paint tip.

I am now wondering about using like a nutsert or something to mount the back panels on to so not to ruin the wood or be able to remove them.  I'm sure they will stay on, but should I just screw the rear panels on or use something more robust?  I'm nor sure about sealing if I use some nutserts.