Klipsch Heresy?

Vinyl Junkie

Hello, new to community. I picked up a pair of speakers at an estate sale. They looked older, just grabbed them, unsure of what they were due to no badges or spec sheets. I have never owned a pair of Klipsch due to a little pricey for my budget. I have been doing research and I think they are 1980 Klipsch Heresy, S/N imprinted into the wood on the back top  of the enclosure. #104U112 #104U113. Am I right about the year? I am going by looks of the speakers to identify. Enclosures have small nicks, scratches, grills are very good, have some fuzz areas on the cloth. I removed the backs that's when I found out they were Klipsch! Woofer is K-22-R, horn is a K-55-V, and tweeter is K-77-M Type E balancing network. I would like help in verifying what I think to be true. Thank you, going to enjoy these, as they sound excellent! DSCN4997.JPG

DSCN5002.JPG

DSCN5001.JPG

DSCN5000.JPG

DSCN4999.JPG

DSCN4998.JPG

• Like 1

Vinyl Junkie,

Welcome to the forum.

Great score on a nice pair of Klipsch Heresy I's.  Construction of 3/4" plywood and older screw type terminals are the the first clues to their identity.  Not sure of the year but there are charts out there that will help you determine that by the serial numbers.

The guts(and cabinets) look very clean but due to age you may consider at some time to recap the crossovers.  Of course listen to them and enjoy them before making that decision.  What are you going to drive these with?  Where are you located?

I am concerned about one thing, that footprint.:o:huh:;):D

Bill

• Like 1

You will love those speakers. I sort of wish I would have kept mine (even without any practical need for them). 

I can't recommend re capping the XO enough. I used a kit from Bob Crite and did one at a time so I could compare. It will really bring them to life, sounded like a different speaker to my ear.

• Like 1

Yeah, nice catch!  If yours have solder terminal K-55-Vs, you have the best of the Heresy Is!  Those are the decorator model, same as mine, but I had mahogany veneer added and covered the edge plys.  Makes them look nicer. 

• 5 years later...

Good Morning or Evening everyone,

I saw some vintage Heresy one speakers at a high fi shop. I'm trying to determine manufacture date.  The following serial number was on the back.  8427931. Does anyone know how to figure manufacture date from that serial number. ????

Thanks, Brad

1 hour ago, Subaman said:

Good Morning or Evening everyone,

I saw some vintage Heresy one speakers at a high fi shop. I'm trying to determine manufacture date.  The following serial number was on the back.  8427931. Does anyone know how to figure manufacture date from that serial number. ????

Thanks, Brad

In the era yours were made, the first two digits are the manufacture year.