XOver Design Modular Assistant

Arash

Hey guys,

You probably know I'm into business here and I have always several speakers in R&D process and I have to design crossovers for them. if you have designed crossover at least once you know what the mess is soldering many parts together on the air and testing different components like caps and inductors and resistors is a pain in the butt when you have to desolder and solder again and will be time-consuming so I just decided to build something. first I decided to design a variable crossover with rotary selectors with a lot of caps and inductors already installed in there but I came to the conclusion that this device will have it's limitations in the matter of slope and order and the caps and inductors and resistors will also play a big role. you know sometimes using two caps with the same capacity from two different vendors will result in some minor difference in the frequency response so I decides to design some blocks with input and output bananna binding posts and some spring-loaded binding posts for connecting caps, inductors you name it. I took me about 30 hours to draw it in Corel Draw I thought maybe it's a good idea to share it in the forum maybe some other dudes will do the same thing or give an initial idea of a similar project. I built 42 blocks for now and it set me back ~300bucks for everything. I'll build more blocks in future if needed.

Targets:

1. no soldering needed
  2. no limitation in crossover order and slope
  3. no mess at the designing table!
  4. saving time

this is what it looks like in a sample crossover:

sample.gif

this crossover consists of seven different blocks as following:

input block which takes the signal from measurement device and devides it to three ways (Woofer, Midrange, Tweeter). I thought it's a good idea to have an overall highpass here. I can short it with a piece of wire anyway:

1-input dispatcher.gif

a low pass/high pass filter which also works as L-Pad:

3-low-hi.gif

parallel notch filter:

4-parallel notch.gif

series notch filter:

5-series notch.gif

an impedance equalization (Zobel):

6-zobel.gif

and an autotransformer stepped attenuator:

7-autotransformer.gif

and output dispatcher board with phase inverting switch for each channel:

2-output dispatcher.gif

and here is actual image of one the blocks:

photo_2016-08-27_20-05-44.jpgphoto_2016-08-27_20-06-02.jpg

and some pictures of parts:

photo_2016-08-27_20-07-07.jpgphoto_2016-08-27_20-07-20.jpgphoto_2016-08-27_20-07-16.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/28/2016 at 3:34 AM, Honeybadger said:

That is a neat idea, great for testing. I like it.

I usually use and active crossover , and back engineer a passive from there.

I regret why I hadn't done this earlier. it could probably hundred of hours of my time. this thing is superb! I don't know if big speaker manufacturing companies use a similar thing but I'd like to see how they design crossover

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...