KHorn risers vs False Corners

Dicdanger

I just picked up a pair a KHorns and am reading here of the importance to seat them into the corners and assure good contact with the corners for wonderful bass enhancement.  In my case, and I imagine with many others, the room they will go in has baseboard heading which are also in the corners.  I was thinking.  Instead of building false corners, what if I just build risers to clear the 8" tall baseboard heaters so they can then sit in the corners?  Would you think it is just as important for the cabinet to be directly on the floor as that also enhances the bass?

Thanks.

Mine have the tailboards cut to fit over the existing trim plus the pipe sealing foam stuff to seal against the wall. The walls and floor being crooked have the Khorns sitting  on the floor at  a slight angle. My only problem are the old window weights hanging in the walls rattling with the bass notes.

JJK

I think some clarifying is needed.  The issue is not clearing baseboard molding which I see the cutouts for but clearing baseboard heating.  I have hot water heating baseboard running through the corners where the cabinets will go.  They are 8" tall and maybe 3" deep.  So instead of cutting into the rear of the cabinet, I was planning on raising the whole cabinet just above the baseboard heaters and seat it into the corner.

2 suggestions. instead of cutting up the factory tailboard, why don't you remove the tailboard all together and see if that works for you. option #2 -  make your own tailboard replacement boards and cut it out as you see fit around the heater boxes

• Like 1

I tool a look last night and the bottom of the tail board is part of the bottom of the cab.  I'd rather not cut it off.  One of cabs is from 1954.  The other is newer.  I spoke with Bob Crites and he said in 1954, that was in mono days.  So the older unit was probably used alone and then another KHorn added later (in the early sixties).  I found some references to adding closed backs.  Seems like a short false corner.  These are built into the 60th anniversary model.

They were mentioned here: