It's not even a fair fight....

jimjimbo

My new refurbed, recapped, CT120's, K55V dual phase, K33 Khorns, VS. Chorus II's with DeanG crossovers.  I know it's apples and oranges, but still.....

Same amps (MC30's), same pre-amp (Mac C11), same source (Oppo 105D).  Music:  Tower of Power 40th Anniversary, Clapton Crossroads 2013, AC/DC Back in Black.  Some serious funk and rock... 

Had a friend over for a bit last night, and started off with the Chorus II's...They sounded great, and he thought they were terrific, and then I switched in the Khorns....it was like night and day.

Again, I know, they are two different animals, but it's always interesting to hear the differences.....

The look on his face was actually really funny, like, "are you kidding me?  You mean, it gets better?"  Oh, it definitely got better.

Until I had put the speaker selection switch in last night, I hadn't done an "instant" A/B comparison before....it was, to say the least.....enlightening....Fun stuff.  

Next up....Khorns VS. La Scala's.  Maybe next week.  I'm tired of moving this stuff around....

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

My new refurbed, recapped, CT120's, K55V dual phase, K33 Khorns, VS. Chorus II's with DeanG crossovers.  I know it's apples and oranges, but still.....

Same amps (MC30's), same pre-amp (Mac C11), same source (Oppo 105D).  Music:  Tower of Power 40th Anniversary, Clapton Crossroads 2013, AC/DC Back in Black.  Some serious funk and rock... 

Had a friend over for a bit last night, and started off with the Chorus II's...They sounded great, and he thought they were terrific, and then I switched in the Khorns....it was like night and day.

Again, I know, they are two different animals, but it's always interesting to hear the differences.....

The look on his face was actually really funny, like, "are you kidding me?  You mean, it gets better?"  Oh, it definitely got better.

Until I had put the speaker selection switch in last night, I hadn't done an "instant" A/B comparison before....it was, to say the least.....enlightening....Fun stuff.  

Next up....Khorns VS. La Scala's.  Maybe next week.  I'm tired of moving this stuff around....

Maybe next week? How about Friday? I can drink a beer as you move everything into place :D:D:D

Mark

I love shootouts.

I too have some unmolested Khorns driven by an Onk 717 AVR and from my very brief experiences with them, they sound good but some others speakers I've had hooked up to the Onk AVR sounded good too.  If the Khorns are indeed at the top of the Klipsch home speaker food chain, even with the mods, they will need to prove it.

I'm looking forward to the next tests.  B)

Just now, derrickdj1 said:

I use to wonder what all the fuss was over the Heritage speakers when I joined the forum.  I snubbed them due to old school style.  Over the years, each time I got to hear different ones, Wow was the experience.  Jim is doing it right with a speaker selector.  It the only way to do a quick change.  I'm glad to hear you are very pleased with them!

my best k-horn story

came home from work one day went straight into the back yard and jumped into the pool. got out and went in the back door. heard voices coming from the front room and asked the wife who is in the front room. she said no one. poked my head around the corner and it was just the k-horns playing thru the tv.

real life like sound

Can't wait to hear about your other a/b testing Jim.  One of my best experiences in Hope was listening to the Khorns, Palladiums and RF7's a/b/c, it was extremely revealing to me, having lived with 7's for quite a while and never hearing the other 2. 

Nice! I wasn't aware that Deang made crossovers for the Chorus II, a complete redesign or just better parts?

I've never had the room for Klipschorns, I hope to someday. I have heard several pairs though and none have left me with the impression that I'm really missing something with my Chorus II's, maybe I'd feel differently if I did a similar comparison as you in my own home? I know in theory the K-horns should blow the doors off the CH-II's.

Put in the La Scala's tonight, with updated AA crossovers that have had the mids reduced a bit, K55V dual phase, and K77M's.  Although they are not spaced as far apart as I would normally like, there is no doubt they are going to stay in place on the inside of the Khorns.  Did the A/B switch between them and the Khorns, and of course although the LS are not at that "upper level"...they certainly held their own, much more desirable (at least to me) than the Chorus II's.  Nothing technical here, just basic impressions of an old guy....Hope you all have had a good weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Do you still have the original Khorn crossovers?

Do one Khorn with the replacement xover, do the other Korn with the original.  Get people in there that have no idea what xover is in what, play them a favorite tune, ask them IF they have a preference, L. Vs Right, or no difference.

See what they say.

I'm curious to know if you have the levels for playback the same for each speaker, so they match (db wise) when you switch from one to another. Personally, I would expect the Khorn and LaScala to beat our the Chorus II, but I would take the Chorus II after my LS, due to room size and placement options.

EDIT: The Khorn and LS should win due to their bass horns.

Bruce

17 hours ago, Marvel said:

Personally, I would expect the Khorn and LaScala to beat our the Chorus II, but I would take the Chorus II after my LS, due to room size and placement options.

Bruce

That's exactly it for me, just never have had enough room for the big boys, some day I hope. Right now it was a struggle to fit my new RF-5's in my space and they're only 9" wide!