New to Klipsch, help identify these La Scalas

audiodogster

So I got lucky. There was an online auction where a listing said "Klipsch La Scala" but showed pictures of some old Yamaha PA speakers worth next to nothing. I knew nothing about Klipsch speakers or La Scalas except that they can be worth some money. I bid on them and won. $400. The company said the listing was wrong and let me chose between the La Scalas and the Yamahas, so obviously I picked the La Scalas. They are in generally good shape, just some scratching to the finish. I have cleaned them up some, they wreaked of nicotine.

I was directed here from Audiokarma. So far I have found out I have probably joined a cult. Also that my La Scala are industrial and they have the AL-3 crossover. Now I want to know more. 

0kt6ydn.jpg

Dj8ilFX.jpg

MCoaOPm.jpg

FVVbV9y.jpg

I can get more pictures if necessary.

I'd love more specs. 

What's the difference between the industrial and the home version?

Was $400 a good price?

What have I gotten myself into??

• Moderators
4 hours ago, audiodogster said:

Was $400 a good price?

Yes sir, congratulations on purchasing a fantastic pair of speakers.

4 hours ago, audiodogster said:

What have I gotten myself into??

It's a slippery slope I tell you.  After purchasing a pair of LaScalas just to see how they sounded compared to my RF-83 / RC-64, I ended up selling the RF-83 / RC-64 and redesigned my entire front wall to accommodate the LaScalas.  Run now while you can!!!!!

BEFORE

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-1.JPG

AFTER

klipsch-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-

klipsch-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-

• Like 3

On 8/28/2016 at 7:06 PM, audiodogster said:

I listened to them, not through the greatest system but they sounded pretty good. My feeling is the crossover could use a recap, but I am going to read into the crossover upgrades before I buy any parts.

My feeling is with almost any new-to-you speaker, just hook them up and listen to them, maybe for a month or so.  If there are any obvious blown parts I would address that first, but sit back and listen.  See how they sound.

To check for blown drivers, use a rag to plug, then unplug the driver with your ear close to it.  You can play any kind of music, just use moderate volume.

Recapping crossovers (XO) is a fairly well accepted practice around here.  There is a hot active thread right now, I think called simply "AA Crossovers."  There is lots of good technical information and philosophy of sound in there.  I have some unmolested (meaning, nothing has been changed) 1978 Khorns that are likely due for the updated capacitors.  I have been reading and studying many variations of upgraded caps.  I am still mulling over my options.

If you want a turn-key solution for your XO's, Crites seems to be the go-to for many people.

• Like 1

Congrats!

As wvu80 said, just listen to them for a while. Since they are completely horn loaded, you will find them very revealing and good/great material will sound great/fantastic and poor material... not so good.

Welcome to the nuthouse!

BTW, that was a great price.

Bruce

A set of the vanilla La Scala sold locally for $1200. I have listed mine on Atlanta Craigslist with a high price of $2000 or best offer to see if I get any nibbles. That should give me some time to play around with some of the relatively cheap/easy modifications like the ported bass box and side braces. If anyone is interested, let me know, I am very open to offers, worst I can do is refuse. I may end up keeping these but I want to keep options open. My main motivation to sell these is for size considerations (they will fit but will make me have to change my bookshelfs sooner than I want to)  and the commercial finish which clashes with the antique French and English furniture in my home. I also don't have an incredible amount of time to devote to modifying them to perfection like so many people do. I may be better suited to find something my ears like better without modification. If I do sell/trade these, I am hoping to be able to pick up some Monitor Audio floorstanding speakers and some good amps, basically the money will go into improving the parts of my system I haven't even been able to touch.

So beyond that announcement, I do have an inquiry. As I mentioned before, I will have to change bookshelfs sooner than I want to if I use these in my setup. Currently I have some nice English bookcases but upon actually seeing them in my room for the first time, I need something to fill the wall better. That would be built in bookshelfs. So my question would be, ideally, how would I place these? How far from each wall? I know I should angle them in to set the convergence point slightly behind my listening position.

• Like 1

Those look to be in pretty good nick. $400 was lucky. I expect that if the people wouldn't have screwed up that picture, they would have cost you $1300-1500. No guts no glory as they say. :)

I believe those have the K-43 woofer rather than the K-33 woofer. It has a bigger magnet and can take more wattage. 

If you don't like the way they sound as-is, why not sell them? If you chop them up and start "upgrading" them, you are devaluing them. You could ask $1450 and sell the things and buy speakers you actually like the way they are. There is some bloke in Atlanta who'd love to have a crack at 'em.

On 9/7/2016 at 1:36 AM, audiodogster said:

A set of the vanilla La Scala sold locally for $1200. I have listed mine on Atlanta Craigslist with a high price of $2000 or best offer to see if I get any nibbles. That should give me some time to play around with some of the relatively cheap/easy modifications like the ported bass box and side braces. If anyone is interested, let me know, I am very open to offers, worst I can do is refuse. I may end up keeping these but I want to keep options open. My main motivation to sell these is for size considerations (they will fit but will make me have to change my bookshelfs sooner than I want to)  and the commercial finish which clashes with the antique French and English furniture in my home. I also don't have an incredible amount of time to devote to modifying them to perfection like so many people do. I may be better suited to find something my ears like better without modification. If I do sell/trade these, I am hoping to be able to pick up some Monitor Audio floorstanding speakers and some good amps, basically the money will go into improving the parts of my system I haven't even been able to touch.

So beyond that announcement, I do have an inquiry. As I mentioned before, I will have to change bookshelfs sooner than I want to if I use these in my setup. Currently I have some nice English bookcases but upon actually seeing them in my room for the first time, I need something to fill the wall better. That would be built in bookshelfs. So my question would be, ideally, how would I place these? How far from each wall? I know I should angle them in to set the convergence point slightly behind my listening position.

When you say locally, do you mean Atlanta? I bought mine off a guy name Corey in the Marrietta area not long ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BamaMike said:

When you say locally, do you mean Atlanta? I bought mine off a guy name Corey in the Marrietta area not long ago.

It was on Atlanta Craigslist, past week or so. It could have been less than $1200 it went for but that's what they wanted. The cabinets had been spray painted black, looked pretty bad in the pictures. 

You don't happen to need another pair do you? :P

8 minutes ago, audiodogster said:

It was on Atlanta Craigslist, past week or so. It could have been less than $1200 it went for but that's what they wanted. The cabinets had been spray painted black, looked pretty bad in the pictures. 

You don't happen to need another pair do you? :P

LoLz... I'm good. I bought mine almost 2 months ago. Seller was a flipper... had some Chorus' for sale and some other gear. Nice guy. I think $1200 was fair for all original 1981's.

LaScala2.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mustang guy said:

Those look to be in pretty good nick. $400 was lucky. I expect that if the people wouldn't have screwed up that picture, they would have cost you $1300-1500. No guts no glory as they say. :)

I believe those have the K-43 woofer rather than the K-33 woofer. It has a bigger magnet and can take more wattage. 

If you don't like the way they sound as-is, why not sell them? If you chop them up and start "upgrading" them, you are devaluing them. You could ask $1450 and sell the things and buy speakers you actually like the way they are. There is some bloke in Atlanta who'd love to have a crack at 'em.

If I do any modifications they will not be anything that can't be undone

• Like 1

You Killed it, man!  The woofers alone could bring $400 used.  The Type AL-3 is a pretty good crossover, should be no issue there and they are surely young enough to not need new caps, yet.  Browse and shop the Forum here and look for upgrades you might want.  Listen for a while, first.  You'll want good electronics to drive them.  If not newer stuff, then look at '70s Yamaha, Marantz and Sansui gear.  I'm partial to separates and integrated amps. 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/2016-recommended-components-integrated-amps-receivers

http://www.stereophile.com/content/acurus-dia-100-integrated-amplifier-page-2

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-A15-3-Integrated-Amp/dp/B00D6N8X52

• Like 1

On 9/10/2016 at 0:57 AM, John Albright said:

You Killed it, man!  The woofers alone could bring $400 used.  The Type AL-3 is a pretty good crossover, should be no issue there and they are surely young enough to not need new caps, yet.  Browse and shop the Forum here and look for upgrades you might want.  Listen for a while, first.  You'll want good electronics to drive them.  If not newer stuff, then look at '70s Yamaha, Marantz and Sansui gear.  I'm partial to separates and integrated amps. 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/2016-recommended-components-integrated-amps-receivers

http://www.stereophile.com/content/acurus-dia-100-integrated-amplifier-page-2

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-A15-3-Integrated-Amp/dp/B00D6N8X52

I don't think my Denon AVR-87 is a bad source but I probably could do better. I have a B&K ST1400ii amp and a Marantz SM6100SA amp, both pretty good amps but both of them are having issues. One channel went out in the B&K cause I seemed to overload a resistor, the Marantz just won't output at all, no clue what is up with that. I don't really have anything else at the moment to feed into the amps besides the Denon and a similarly aged Sony. I have been thinking of purchasing a Denon x4200w to use for my set up, would that be an acceptable source?