Setup a sound system while living in ''remote'' hifi area

deol33

Dear All,

Great and impressive community , tons of information, thoughts,

experiences and experiments shared, and

Always in a fair and constructive manner, Congrats.

I hope I am posting at the right place

Well to make it short, I am looking for :

- first : for a pair of quartet speakers, or forte II with upgrades, or ... (don't care so much about the cosmetic condition)

- second : if I could get an amp or amp and preamp pack in the same deal (if it could make some savings for the shipping),

it would be great (adcom, lynn, dynaco, onkyo, parasound, mcintosh ...)

- the best for the end, I am living in Cambodia ..... ;-) ... Yes that's the main point  ....

Means not possible to repair nor upgrade the material ....

Huge Shipping Costs .... Strong and Accurate Packaging Mandatory ....

And for sure I am far to be a millionaire  ... ;-)

Thanks in advance for your advice

Bests

Andeol

Thanks for the advice,

Indeed I am trying , but really hard to find someone who ships internationally,

I found quite several but it was not the item I was looking for (KG 3.5, KG 4, or others)

Still watching ebay, hifi shark, ... and coming through Klipsch community to increase my chances ;-)

Best Regards

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=integrated+amp

I don't know the system voltage in your country, but you should be able to get/order some nice Japanese electronics like these.  Forty to 50 watts/channel will be plenty, 100 is more than enough.  I am a fan of the 1970s Yamaha gear.  Pretty tube like sound.  Look for a CA-800 or larger. 

I also have 2 vintage Technics receivers from the late 70s I like.  They sound nice IF you don't push them hard.  Clipping is harsh and recovery is slow.  Pricing on the used market (ebay) is not bad, but climbing.

Dear John Albright,

Thanks for the advice, indeed if I could get some stuff direct from japan , could be easier while according my first researches they are more pricy than in the the US and so the transportation cost difference makes only the balance ... still interesting to look for japanese amps in Japan

Any idea for shipping big speakers ?

Have a good day

18 hours ago, John Albright said:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=integrated+amp

I don't know the system voltage in your country, but you should be able to get/order some nice Japanese electronics like these.  Forty to 50 watts/channel will be plenty, 100 is more than enough.  I am a fan of the 1970s Yamaha gear.  Pretty tube like sound.  Look for a CA-800 or larger. 

I also have 2 vintage Technics receivers from the late 70s I like.  They sound nice IF you don't push them hard.  Clipping is harsh and recovery is slow.  Pricing on the used market (ebay) is not bad, but climbing.

Yes, the Yamaha CA-800 is a wonderful piece.  Owned one for 20 yrs.  Nice little 10 watt Class A / 45 watt Class A/B integrated amplifier with more power then spec'd.  Built like a tank and beautiful walnut casework.

Welcome to the forum Deol33 and good luck on your quest.

Hi everyone,

I had a good question while replying to a PM about why I was ready to spend so much money for a pair of Klipsch Quartets considering I have to put a big 300$+ for the shipping to Cambodia.

And so I made the reply, that I post for everyone to catch some more advice if any ...

Quartets, lets say good feeling, good feedback (on this forum as well), the lightest of the series Quartet Forte Chorus, not enough money to go for Cornwall, Scala ..., Still want something I could be satisfied with during at least the next decade ...

While any suggestion are welcome ....

to add a few information if could help to makes any advice more accurate,

I plan to re discover all my LP collection as I still have turntables, kind of music ...

from Jimmy Hendrix to led zeppelin, electronic music, jazz, reggae, acoustic lives various styles, funk, dub (with quite some bass), a bit of classical music ....

So the bandwidth from 38 to 20k Hz seems nice, as well as the deepness / presence of the sound , I am living in a home so I can push the power a bit if I wish

I am repairing an old ss amp Scott A436, if he still not work when I got some speakers (the old ones I had, disappeared during a re location ...) I think I will go for either small valve amp, or hybrid, or another ss vintage low power but high quality warm sound,

That is also one of the reason I think the quartet sensitivity are quite good for this purpose

As mentioned I am in Cambodia, no possibility to listen any real speaker, so I do my best to ''imagine'' what could fits, reading forums and reviews

Its now almost two month I go here and there to catch information, best option, ...

So I think at a point I should do order and try ...

This is a small recap of my thoughts, but I could be wrong on my choice ...

Bests

Just throwing an option out there for you:  a brand new Klipsch R-15PM set of powered monitor speakers?  It might be easier to procure in Cambodia.  Just hook up your turntable and whatever digital source you want, and you're done.  If you really get crazy, add a subwoofer down the road.

Thanks for the idea,

Indeed I have started my researches by this one, in a word : more simple ...

but still same price as quartets (for sure they have in addition an integrated amp I know, but the amp is not much the issue)

and less than 100$ shipping instead of +300$

but has you said may be need a bass sub woofer, not so much vintage (sorry purely personal consideration),

so your right if I dont catch the big deal I may come back for something simple

Thanks for the reminder, sometimes in the quest of the best you can loose your common sense  ....

Cheers

Hello, just to keep you inform on the progress of the quest ...

I am now looking for Klipsch speakers Forte II at a good price ;-), international shipping still mandatory ;-)

(I unfortunately missed a pair of these on Audiogon, mint condition, with all possible bob critess upgrades, 645 US$, but didnt know if the seller were ready to send these to Cambodia ... no time to ask him before they were sold ...)

I will find , I will find .... speakers first then we will see .....

Cheers

why would you want to subject factory cabinets to international shipping? Due to size weight and cost you are not going to be packing them well enough to properly protect them. Why not have the drivers, passives, networks, horns and gaskets shipped to you and have a box made locally? It's just a hollow box nothing special past that it weighs a lot to ship.

If you do go ahead with shipping these speakers then make sure to have the shipper remove the mid horn and pack it into the interior of the cabinet to prevent possible damage. I suggest that you cover the woofers and the passives with a layer of 1/4" ply to protect them from puncture. Remove the factory riser prior to shipping it will only make your package larger and they will get destroyed anyway. Packing the cabinets and strapping them to a skid is the safest way to ship them. I would further suggest that shipping the components separately from the cabinets would be worth your while but the cost of your idea just keeps going up. Find a local cabinet shop or carpenter and discuss your local options first. Remember that the cheaper the shipping option that you choose will have a direct impact upon the likelihood of your speakers getting damaged. Cheap shipping is slow shipping and slow shipping means much handling along with more opportunities for your goods to get damaged.. Every time your goods are moved or handled they are at risk of damage. The fastest shipping option is going to result in the least handling and exposure to risks, it is the best option for safe delivery but it will cost you the most. good luck

• Like 1

@pbphoto,

the only thing that goes wrong at the early beginning is that in Cambodia you only find terrible sounding karaoke equipment ...

now that said, I am always open to good and constructive ideas,

So following your post, what do you propose ? (considering I would still hope to buy some klipsch vintage speakers ...)

Cheers

I don't know anything about Cambodia or your particular situation.  But if I was living someplace remote "off the beaten audio path," I would stick with my recommendation above - a pair of R-15PM's.  Brand new, everything I needed in a reasonably small original factory box, insured from a reputable reseller that ships to Cambodia.  It sounds like they meet all your requirements except they are not "heritage."  If Cambodia is a temporary assignment for you, then the R-15PMs may be all you'll need.  If you are going to be there a while, then I would look to buy new H3's, a sub, and an integrated amp from an online retailer that ships to Cambodia.  I would avoid buying used gear that I couldn't listen to ahead of time, from somebody that's probably not adept at packing and shipping large electronic items to a remote foreign country, and without any return privileges.  

Thanks for the advice,

Indeed I am going to .... stay there .... (already 10+ years + family + ...)

The new material is tempting , unfortunately money is not yet at the good level ,

so I maybe make a mistake but I try to catch a not too non reasonable option ... ,

knowing that I have to cross my fingers until I plug the material ...

Cheers

For those who share kind of same situation ''isolated area''

and maybe for me if I didn't succeed in getting some vintage speakers,

the alternative, as proposed by pbphoto, light weight sound system,

even I have some doubt on the equivalent sound ''presence'' as I am looking for some Forte II,

to catch the same range of low and high with still half of the power but you get an integrated amp in addition,

as R-15PM two powered speakers 50wpc plus R-10SW powered sub-woofer

(as total on paper : range bandwidth : 34hz to 20khz (as the forte ii) )

Cost in Klipsch official dealer at Bangkok Thailand around 900$ US, plus in my case around 150$ US shipping

Hope this could be useful for some South East Asian which are looking for Klipsch sound system setup