La Scalas and time alignment?

jorjen

5 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

That's helpful Zeus.

Thanks for your incredible insight.

I was always told to keep my mouth shut and ears open, maybe I will learn something.

Jumping in something the chief is discussing is a GREAT place to follow this advice.

Or maybe you know more and have better information that the chief.

Obviously you seem to think very highly of yourself, so I'm sure you are well versed in Klipsch, maybe you could give him some guidance in his future endeavors

Mark

3 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I was always told to keep my mouth shut and ears open, maybe I will learn something.

Jumping in something the chief is discussing is a GREAT place to follow this advice.

Or maybe you know more and have better information that the chief.

Obviously you seem to think very highly of yourself, so I'm sure you are well versed in Klipsch, maybe you could give him some guidance in his future endeavors

Mark

This coming from someone who digs up a 3 month old post to show how superior you are.

I wish you the best.

6 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

This coming from someone who digs up a 3 month old post to show how superior you are.

I wish you the best.

I guess if a post from Wednesday is a 3 month old post in your mind, then clearly I AM superior to you. It appears to be almost 5 days old now. Oh and I'm sorry for being so rude, I missed your joining this forum in August.

WELCOME!!!!

Mark

On 8/29/2016 at 11:45 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Not yet. Maybe you should have had discussions with paul about modifying klipsch speakers.....to put it mildly... He thought it was crazy. He thought that ANY mod that did not come from klipsch or was not authorized by klipsch was worthless....."after all, how would they know what they were doing?"  

Do what you want. I don't really care. But it is NOT a klipsch speaker anymore .  Call it the jorjen3.  And to add to my vent, this "section" of the forum makes me think that mr k was right....how would they know what they are doing?  How in the world would they quantify it to make it repeatable?  

Now back to your thread....adding the ports to the jorjen3 and changing to this magic horn....if it sounds good to you then great. Happy listening!!

You have raised this before... I thought I was beginning to understand where you draw the line, from a physical vs logical distinction, but I've lost the bubble...

Is using subs considered a mod? (since the speakers came without subs)

What about a system that augments the signal with various corrective adjustments for a room's acoustic anomalies? (since the speakers were designed before this existed)

I don't use either of those things, nor do I use any digital source (but not because that didn't exit when the speakers were designed).

Is there a physical/logical threshold where the speaker is considered modded only if it makes a measurable deviation from design spec?

On 1/12/2017 at 9:19 AM, pauln said:

I thought I was beginning to understand where you [Roy] draw the line, from a physical vs logical distinction, but I've lost the bubble...

It's easy, if it doesn't come from Klipsch directly and is unaltered, don't call it Klipsch or imply that it is, or "an improvement on Klipsch"...at least not on this website.  No third-party stuff or mods are authorized.  This really isn't any different than other major branded hardware elsewhere.  Now, whether or not you agree with that policy is up to you. 

For me, when the any manufacturer refuses to support (at a competitive price) all customer segments, especially when these customer segments demand a product mod or a combination of products into a specific set of capabilities is strong, then the branded company is actually inviting third parties into their shop whether or not the company acknowledges it. 

Usually though, discussion and selling of this third party stuff is done off the manufacturer's website.  I recommend looking for alternative websites if you're significantly motivated to do things "off stock".  That means that any modifications to the products are discouraged here by Roy. 

I can see some of Roy's concern, especially when looking at the knowledge, skills, and abilities of all that are doing and selling mods.  Oftentimes I have to bite my tongue just looking at the so-called "improvements" (this thread presently excepted).  Having a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

On 8/29/2016 at 11:45 PM, Chief bonehead said:

...Maybe you should have had discussions with Paul about modifying Klipsch speakers.....to put it mildly... He thought it was crazy.  He thought that ANY mod that did not come from Klipsch or was not authorized by Klipsch was worthless....."after all, how would they know what they were doing?"  

Do what you want. I don't really care. But it is NOT a Klipsch speaker anymore...And to add to my vent, this "section" of the forum makes me think that Mr. K was right....how would they know what they are doing?  How in the world would they quantify it to make it repeatable?...if it sounds good to you then great. Happy listening!!

My answer to the first bolded rhetorical question just above: just the same way that Paul learned...by doing, testing, and improving.  Couple this with intensive learning on the engineering side, then you can have potentially better products. But caveat emptor applies, legally and in commerce.  Sturgeon's law applies, i.e., "90% of everything is crap". 

The answer to the second bolded rhetorical question also involves due diligence.  One thing that many third parties don't acknowledge is that the production runs of original manufacturers (like Klipsch) do change over time due to things like changing driver characteristics, and the third-party "upgrades" suffer when this occurs without knowledge of which serial numbers are which that are affected, and what should be done to correct their third party add-ons to accommodate those changes.  Repeatability, in other words, is also a function of what Klipsch has done and how it's changed over time.

I believe one of the reasons why the original Khorn, Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, and Belle loudspeakers survive as actively traded products (among others from Klipsch)--not really collector's items that sit in the corner unused--is because they don't wear out.  Upgrades (from Klipsch and third parties) have kept many of them alive.

Chris

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, a quick question, i'm interested in trying the time alignment tweeter mod mentioned before and practised by members here, the mod was removing the tweeter and placing it on top of my LSII's, so the question is how easy is it to remove the tweeter from the top section of the LSII's,

Can someone explain the steps please, any help will be much appreciated, also does anyone Chris A! have the measurements of the ideal placement of the tweeter once removed, 

cheers

Deano

There are directions for doing this. Nutshell:

1.Remove grills. 

2. Back up screws on front panel and remove.

3. Stand top hat on front panel. 

4. Remove back panel. Unclip tweeter and mid. Pull back panel with crossover off. 

5. Lift top hat off motorboard. K-77 and K-55 in open now. Four screws hold the K77D horn in place. 

You may be able to route tweeter wires out through the cut out for K55x in rear panel. The wires are long to reach the front of the top hat. 

I have thought about this. No plans to try right now. 

But like some other things will not know if it improves thing until tried. 

A bracket to hold the tweeter is important. Seen some nice ones. Most pictures show the  use of golf balls and painters tape to support the tweeter horns. 

There are directions for doing this. Nutshell:

1.Remove grills. 
2. Back up screws on front panel and remove.
3. Stand top hat on front panel. 
4. Remove back panel. Unclip tweeter and mid. Pull back panel with crossover off. 
 5. Lift top hat off motorboard. K-77 and K-55 in open now. Four screws hold the K77D horn in place. 
  You may be able to route tweeter wires out through the cut out for K55x in rear panel. The wires are long to reach the front of the top hat. 
  I have thought about this. No plans to try right now. 
  But like some other things will not know if it improves thing until tried. 
  A bracket to hold the tweeter is important. Seen some nice ones. Most pictures show the  use of golf balls and painters tape to support the tweeter horns. 
Perfect thank you so much, very much appreciated

Deano

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, jorjen said:

All I have done so far is dress them up a bit. Beefed up the bins with an MDF wrap(all sides), braces, double thick bottom panels, veneer, binding posts and grilles. Stock K-33, no port modification.

Mr. D(Chief Bonehead)if you see this I hope you approve. No seriously, it matters.

DSCN2735.JPG

DSCN2752.JPG

Those look really nice.👍

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 7:40 PM, jorjen said:

All I have done so far is dress them up a bit. Beefed up the bins with an MDF wrap(all sides), braces, double thick bottom panels, veneer, binding posts and grilles. Stock K-33, no port modification.

Mr. D(Chief Bonehead)if you see this I hope you approve. No seriously, it matters.

DSCN2735.JPG

DSCN2752.JPG

What thickness MDF did you wrap your Bass bins with? I saw your Bass Bins on the Oakwood Veneer web site under the Tigerwood section, they look great !!  :D If everything proceeds correctly, I am driving up to Oakwood Veneer on Thursday in two weeks with my daughter for her to pick out the type of veneer she wants on her LaScalas  :D I bought her a pair of Industrial splits. Ultimately to me, it is her decision, but if it were up to me, they came with the trim option and I would polish and either nickel plate or chrome plate the factory trim. What are your thoughts on this?

Roger

• Like 1

I think that would depend on how much moving them around will take place. I don't mind the black, but would go sans trim. Love the way Eldon's home made MWM bins turned out.

I'm trying to get a pair of MWM bins back from a donation. They are black with no trim, round over edges and no handles at all. They look nice, but because of their shape and weight, nearly impossible to move.

Bruce

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, Marvel said:

I think that would depend on how much moving them around will take place. I don't mind the black, but would go sans trim. Love the way Eldon's home made MWM bins turned out.

I'm trying to get a pair of MWM bins back from a donation. They are black with no trim, round over edges and no handles at all. They look nice, but because of their shape and weight, nearly impossible to move.

Bruce

Bruce,

I like the industrial look of the trim and the handles, but ultimately, it is my daughters decision, not mine. I used to own Five Theatre version (which is what you described) MWM double bins and four MWM single bins. The singles were touring versions and had both handles and trim. I also owned a bunch of other MCM-1900 4 way pieces. I had to sell them to pay some bills but kept one MCM Double and gave it as a gift to Kevin Harmon at Pilgrimage. Kevin Paid to have Klipsch sand down and refinish that bin so it looked like a brand new one, so I know all about moving MWM doubles without handles, it takes two good sized guys.  :D

Rog

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

so I know all about moving MWM doubles without handles, it takes two good sized guys.  :D

Rog

That wouldn't be me... I hover right around 150 lbs.

Besides the weight, the shape, without handles, is just hard to hold onto.

17 hours ago, Marvel said:

That wouldn't be me... I hover right around 150 lbs.

Besides the weight, the shape, without handles, is just hard to hold onto.

I am 6'3" at 225 pounds. Michael Colter and I had no problems moving them, but we knew we had done some work after moving all of those cabinets.  :D

Hi Guys,

So I have decide im not going to disect my LSII's for the tweeter alignment project

So I was thinking that I would just buy a spare set of the tweeter units, as this would be far easier to do.

Can someone please tell me where I can buy these from and what the model number is, and alao are they availible as complete units

Cheers

Deano

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

You can order them from Klipsch if your in the US or Gentech if in CAN.

Model K-77 D (unless you have the newest LSII's)

Part # 1006875 from Gentech, not sure if its the same from Klipsch direct.

Yes this is the complete tweeter.