La Scala Road Trip

cincymat

Last Friday and Saturday, I drove 1,030 mile round trip to pick up a pair of refurbished La Scalas from Mathews. 

Left around 10:00 a.m. on Friday morning. First stop was U-Haul to rent a package of furniture moving pads. Two day rental was $10.00 plus tax. It's not a bad deal all things considered. Didn't have any old blankets or comforters as a big load of them went to Goodwill just a month ago. 

Decided to take the southern route, Cinci to Louisville then up to St. Louis and across to Columbia. Wasn't a bad drive but after 8 hours I was a little road crazed upon arriving at Matthew's house. He sensed my dazed condition and provide a nice cup of coffee and some tunes. Love the way the La Scalas sounded through his wall of tube goodness. Just magical. 

Spent the night in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, 3 hours east of Columbia. Driving through St. Louis twice in one day was not well thought out on my part. Rained both times. Traffic was heavy. Typical stuff. 

Here are some pictures of loading the speakers:

La Scalas in the CRV:

IMG_0925-XL.jpg

Proud new La Scala papa:

IMG_0923-XL.jpg

All bundled up and ready to go

IMG_0922-XL.jpg

Home, unscathed, in the garage:

IMG_0926-XL.jpg

On temporary duty in the family room waiting for the music room to get painted

IMG_0287-XL.jpg

Sounding great....

Glad I had the opportunity to meet Matt. What a nice guy! Listening to these beauties right now. So happy I pulled the trigger and bought this wonderful looking and sounding pair of speakers.

Mark

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

Meanwhile, they seem to go with the décor there.

Glad they are designing more cars with LS in mind.

Congrats again and that's what I hear about him...nice guy :)

Wait till I post pics of the music room. The La Scalas are the reason to redo the room. Should look quite nice. It will be a few weeks. Waiting for paint and furniture.

Mark

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Wait till I post pics of the music room. The La Scalas are the reason to redo the room. Should look quite nice. It will be a few weeks. Waiting for paint and furniture.

Mark

So get busy dude!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

So get busy dude!

I did the hard stuff, road trip for La Scalas, shopping for furniture with my wife, and saying, "Yes Dear", to the paint color. Only thing left is writing the checks. I can handle that from right here if front of the La Scalas! :D 

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

Maybe next year in Hope. I'm seriously considering a nice cruise on my Harley there.  

Its very nice nice to meet people who post here.

Mark

If it is so nice to meet the peeps here, why did you drive right by me twice?!

Good call on letting the wife pick the paint color and furniture for the music room. When I moved my (2nd set of) Belles into the living room, we suddenly needed new carpet and chairs in there too!........yes, dear!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I personally thought those would have been keepers.  Kudo's for being able to let go of them!!

It was a tough call, "Coytee"!  However, my priorities have changed and this is all being done to help fulfill a life long dream :emotion-19:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Cincymat, you are truly one lucky guy. I'm the other one.

This is my 1st post here but I saw your thread and couldn't resist jumping in. I have the forerunners to your "Plum Crazy" L Scalas. My wife, our dogs (the "girls") and I made our road trip from OK to meet Matthews and pick up the "Black Bettys." If yours are anything like mine you will truly be pleased and amazed!

Hard to believe 3 guys, one from OK,one from MO and one from OH have this in common - we have Matthews to thank for this!

Here are my "Bettys."

WP_20160709_08_52_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20160711_10_30_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20160710_13_29_37_Pro.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

If it is so nice to meet the peeps here, why did you drive right by me twice?!

Good call on letting the wife pick the paint color and furniture for the music room. When I moved my (2nd set of) Belles into the living room, we suddenly needed new carpet and chairs in there too!........yes, dear!

Maybe next time Mookie! Hate to say it but I was trying real hard to put St. Louis in my rear view mirror both times! 

I like it it when wives get to help. Mine was all sure rose speakers look good but they better sound as good as they look,

They do.

Mark

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cincymat said:

Welcome to the forums Sonic!!  I almost bit on the Black Bettys. Glad I waited.

Matthews does a great job getting the cabinets looking good. My wife is very pleased. 

Is this stuff fun or what?

Mark

Why, pray tell, are you glad you waited?

• Like 1

Beautiful speakers! 

First heard the La Scala(s) in 88' in another barracks room when I was an Airman in RAF Lakenheath, UK (after) I had bought a pair of Cerwin Vega D9 E's (euro exports) and the return date had passed on mine.  Man o' man, was I blown away when I heard the La Scala's ran through their paces; believe they were being powered by a Yamaha MX-1000 amp.  Clear and my heartbeat was resynced with the bass output, LOL.  I was humbled to say the least and wished that I had saved a few more "pennies" for a pair of those Klipsch's. 

My Vegas were clear and thumped but those were a 2016 Mustang GT comparing to a 2016 Vette Z06 (being the La Scala's) both in sound quality/output and build-quality.