WTB Klipsch Quartet Speaker pair Internationnal shipping

deol33

Dear All,

First of all I am living in Cambodia .....

I am looking to buy a pair of Quartet (the lightweight in this range, mainly for shipping reasons but if price is good could be forte II, Chorus ...)

Has to be in good technical condition (no possibility to repair hifi here ...), no problem with cosmetic defect

Integrated amp, power amp, amp and preamp coming on side is / are welcome (adcom, lynn, dynaco, parasound, onkyo, mcintosh ...)

And for sure everything has to be accurately hard packed and shipped to Cambodia ...

I know its a lot to ask, but I am in a no hifi land and I don't see other possibilities,

BTW any good ideas welcome

Bests

Thanks jweber,

According my firsts investigations ,

I take the risk to pay almost the same price or a little bit less, for the shipping than for the speakers ....

I know it seems crazy but ,

Don't have a better idea yet, any thoughts welcome.

BR

After having lived in SE Asia for a number of years, I would recommend that you look into any classified listings in Singapore and Bangkok.  Both of them have large ex-pat community's, and I believe Singapore has an authorized Klipsch dealer/distributor that might be able to help out in some way.  Just a thought.

Hi everyone,

I had a good question while replying to a PM about why I was ready to spend so much money for a pair of Klipsch Quartets considering I have to put a big 300$+ for the shipping to Cambodia.

And so I made the reply, that I post for everyone to catch some more advice if any ...

Quartets, lets say good feeling, good feedback (on this forum as well), the lightest of the series Quartet Forte Chorus, not enough money to go for Cornwall, Scala ..., Still want something I could be satisfied with during at least the next decade ...

While any suggestion are welcome ....

to add a few information if could help to makes any advice more accurate,

I plan to re discover all my LP collection as I still have turntables, kind of music ...

from Jimmy Hendrix to led zeppelin, electronic music, jazz, reggae, acoustic lives various styles, funk, dub (with quite some bass), a bit of classical music ....

So the bandwidth from 38 to 20k Hz seems nice, as well as the deepness / presence of the sound , I am living in a home so I can push the power a bit if I wish

I am repairing an old ss amp Scott A436, if he still not work when I got some speakers (the old ones I had, disappeared during a re location ...) I think I will go for either small valve amp, or hybrid, or another ss vintage low power but high quality warm sound,

That is also one of the reason I think the quartet sensitivity are quite good for this purpose

As mentioned I am in Cambodia, no possibility to listen any real speaker, so I do my best to ''imagine'' what could fits, reading forums and reviews

Its now almost two month I go here and there to catch information, best option, ...

So I think at a point I should do order and try ...

This is a small recap of my thoughts, but I could be wrong on my choice ...

Bests

How large a room will you have these in? Something may work great for you more nearfield, or for a larger room. I know there have been LaScalas in Hong Kong. I have family in the Philippines on the lookout, too, with a couple of friends in Thailand as well. Depending on size, I know I can ship to the Philippines for $115USD (doesn't matter the weight). I will see if there is something similar to Cambodia.

Bruce

Have you considered a pair of Heresy?

I did not like the Quartet very much. The cabinets are very noisy and boxy sounding. Also, dynamic range seems lacking and sounds compressed compared to Heresy or Forte.

Heresy sounds cleaner and more transparent. Just my opinion though.

Edit: I just read your music preferences. Heresy would sound excellent with classic rock, jazz, acoustic, but not with electronica.

I don't think any of the Heritage models(Heresy, Quartet, Forte) sound very good with electronica.

So if deeper bass and modern electronica/pop is important to you, I would recommend a Reference model like RF-35 or RF-82.

3 hours ago, mattSER said:

Have you considered a pair of Heresy?

I did not like the Quartet very much. The cabinets are very noisy and boxy sounding. Also, dynamic range seems lacking and sounds compressed compared to Heresy or Forte.

Heresy sounds cleaner and more transparent. Just my opinion though.

Edit: I just read your music preferences. Heresy would sound excellent with classic rock, jazz, acoustic, but not with electronica.

I don't think any of the Heritage models(Heresy, Quartet, Forte) sound very good with electronica.

So if deeper bass and modern electronica/pop is important to you, I would recommend a Reference model like RF-35 or RF-82.

While my experience with my previous two pairs of Quartets no way parallels your experience, I do agree with your opinion of the Heresy.  That is why I still own HI's and HII's.

With that said, I do miss my oak oil Quartets.:(

Quartets front no cover.jpg

Bill

Many thanks for sharing your experiences,

I am still interesting to know especially for the low frequencies if it start at 36hz or 50hz ,

does it make such a big difference,as these are figures but it doesn't tells you what you could feel,

a little bit like for computer processor if I choose a 3.6ghz or a 3.8ghz does it makes such a difference,

for a computer not so much, or hard to see it, so for the bass power sound would it look like the same,

different but hard to ear / feel it or really not the same ?

BTW I am currently following a pair of Forte I ...

I will let you know if I could catch them or not ...

Thanks again

Hello deol33,

First off i want to let you know i am no expert in the audiophile world.My terminology may be off a bit too.I usually read mostly on here and dont post much.I have met Willland and thats about it.Anyway i have Herseys with the thicker horns and recapped x overs unknown caps , Quartets, Chorus ll and.KLF 30. I have also heard many other Klipsch speakers Belles, Lascala,Hersey ll,Epic Cf3 v3,Kg 5.5,I think imho room  sizes being 10x 11, 12x16. 15x20 i think the Chorus ll is an all around ok sounding speaker.I listen to all the same types of music as you.It has good bass and good highs.Now i also like my Hersey too because i and the wife liked my lascala i had but sold them... Kinda of big along with the Belles.I preferred the Belles wife liked the lascalas. she says the Lascalas sounded like they were in front of you singing.I feel  the Hersey,Belles and LaScalas do better with a good sub and thats why i like my Hersey sound they are kinda like the in between of the lascala and belles...kinda if that makes sense.I feel the Quartets are kinda bright when pushed as the same with the Hersey and klf 30..I have powered all the speakers with my yamaha 2095 and a carver 4.0t amp...375wpc chourus ll loved the power as did the klf 30 not so much the hersey.And thats about it for my input on my stuff...I never heard fortes but if they sound more like the chorus ll then the quartets they may be better the better speaker which is what i hear anyway.Also i have a Jolida 502a tube amp which sounds great with the klipsch.Well i hope i helped ...lol i hate typing and was bouncing all over the place.Also the Hersey have upgraded x overs and all my others only have only  the bob crittes titanium tweeters.

I live in Florida near the shipping ports and there is a shipping container company that goes from Jacksonville to Cambodia.I have been thinking about thinning out the heard but dont know the first thing about packaging and shipping speakers...But send me offers on the Quartets and chorus ll.The quartets were factory black but there was walnut under the black so off it came.The Chorusll are a golden Oak.They are bothe in really great shape and are consecutive serial.If we can work something out i am more then willing to help you out but i dont know your Budget $$$$$$$$$.

4 hours ago, deol33 said:

Many thanks for sharing your experiences,

I am still interesting to know especially for the low frequencies if it start at 36hz or 50hz ,

does it make such a big difference,as these are figures but it doesn't tells you what you could feel,

a little bit like for computer processor if I choose a 3.6ghz or a 3.8ghz does it makes such a difference,

for a computer not so much, or hard to see it, so for the bass power sound would it look like the same,

different but hard to ear / feel it or really not the same ?

BTW I am currently following a pair of Forte I ...

It depends on the type of music you listen to. If it's mostly classic rock and jazz, you won't notice any problem with bass that goes down to 50hz.

If you listen to a lot of Electronica, Pop, or Hip-Hop, then you will want deep bass that gets closer to 30hz.

A pair of Forte would be great, better than either Quartet or Heresy. Also, the KLF-20 is the most versatile speaker I've ever owned. It gives you the excellent 3-way midrange for rock and jazz, but also the tight, fast, and deep bass for modern electronic music.

I think the only models that would cover a wide range of classic and modern music as well as the KLF would be the RF-7 and the Palladium towers.

Many thanks

to mustangerfourlife and mattSER for the inputs, it comforts me with the idea to go for Forte (Chorus II will be too expensive for me currently)

its seems a good compromise price quality versatility and still heritage Klipsch long lasting speakers

I will let you know how the story goes, and maybe if I can't catch some Forte I will ask mustangerfourlife if he can make a good offer for its Chorus II ;-)

Bests

So I am now looking for Klipsch speakers Forte II at a good price ;-), international shipping still mandatory ;-)

(I unfortunately missed a pair of these on Audiogon, mint condition, with all possible bob critess upgrades, 645 US$, but didnt know if the seller were ready to send these to Cambodia ... no time to ask him before they were sold ...)

I will find , I will find ....

No way to find forte II that the seller ship internationally..... 

Frustrating as I am more and more convinced that these speakers will fit with my needs 

I saw several for sale last few months and the time I decide myself to go for it, they all disappear... 

On 9/8/2016 at 8:17 AM, deol33 said:

No way to find forte II that the seller ship internationally..... 

Frustrating as I am more and more convinced that these speakers will fit with my needs 

I saw several for sale last few months and the time I decide myself to go for it, they all disappear... 

Be patient.

Thanks

I try indeed,

as I am convince that I would make a mistake buying something else

then not being fully satisfied while not changing because of heavy shipping cost ...

so I stay calm , and sometimes,

I go for fitness or meditation ...

waiting for music listening possibilities ;-)