Denon AVR-X6200W (or wait)

bkervaski

I have and love the 6200. I am running a 7.2.4 atmos setup, which requires me to have an extra 2 channel amp for the other 2 atmos speakers. If you are in a hurry to buy a new avr, then it's up to you on which is more important. Are you going to run an atmos setup, and if so, how many channels? The 6300 has 11 powered channels which can natively do 7.2.4, which is nice. The 6300 has a much more powerful amp output, but I'm not sure if you would really notice a difference (I probably wouldn't).

The 6200 came out around this time last year, and I bought mine last January brand new for $1350 ish on eBay. This is when Amazon still has it listed for $2100. If you could wait till January, you could probably get the 6300 for around the same price, just regularly check eBay.

I kind of want the 6300 after just reading about it, but I am very happy with my 6200 and will not be replacing it for a long time. I don't think you will be disappointed with either avr. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

As a rule of thumb, I have not been an early adopter.  One exception has been my 2007 Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR which has been trucking along since new without ever an issue.  That series of Onkyo AVR's were the first to ever feature HDMI 1.3a for decoding of the new lossless HD-DVD/Bluray soundtracks.  

Get the 6200 and save some serious $$$.  Add an outboard amp if you must amplify all channels.

Bill

I'm setting up a 5.2.4 system in a 16x14 room ... bought a 6200 on eBay for under $1200 new ... after looking at the 6300 video and specs that were posted this morning on the Denon website it seems like the only real advantage (for my 5.2.4 system) is the 5GHz wifi upgrade, other than that it seems very HEOS centric which I really don't care anything about (but cool tech for some no doubt).