From 2-CH To HT: Need Advice

AccessDenied

My wife and I are closing on our house in 3 weeks!

I need advice on how to setup our Home Theater...
We've been in an apartment for 3 years now, my current setup is a 2-channel with RB-35 bookshelf speakers.  They sound great and worked for the tiny room they were in.
The new family room will be 20' x 15' and has a vaulted ceiling (not sure on the height?)

I'd like to eventually setup a 5.1, but I don't have the funds to do that right away.

I have the 2 RB-35s, and my receiver is a Pioneer VSX822.

Nothing wrong with the receiver, though I would really like to add bluetooth to our HT.

What should my first steps be?

Are the RB-35s going to be sufficient in the future?
Is this a decent receiver (minus my desire for bluetooth)?

I was thinking about investing in a high quality Center Channel first, but figured the community here could help.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Better HT informed members will comment, I just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on the new house.

You asked about the Rb35's being sufficient in the larger, I would say no. Sorry but I doubt they could, I say this because my first Klipsch was a  synergy setup with bookshelf mains. We added on and now the room went from 14x16 to 18x24, the bookshelves could not fill the room the way I was use to hearing, I had to go bigger and it solved the problem. I'm not saying the 35's couldn't be loud in that room but it would not really fill or take comntrol it like a bigger speaker. imo

Funds, well I know about that problem, I would say do it a little at a time when you can, you will be much happier in the end. When I got the Synergy's I had a choice of all at once or a little at a time and i chose all at once, the fun way !  But they were all changed out as soon as I was able and then I realized how big a mistake i made by hurrying. 

I would start with mains when you can and eventually go from there, it's also cheaper in the long run. 

Good luck and have fun. :emotion-21:

Edit.....I reread your post, i don't think a much better center will get you where you want in your new room, wait and put the Rb35's in the new room and you will see/hear easier wjhat would need to happen.imo  

52 minutes ago, dtel said:

I would start with mains when you can and eventually go from there, it's also cheaper in the long run. 

I totally agree with the 'start slow and gradually buy what I want for the end goal' mentality...

I was tempted to buy a Quintet system, but figured I'd just get the itch for something better soon after.

What a good mains to start with?

Are R-15M still too small, even if I added a 10" sub?

What about the RP-250F ?

I am not sure I'll sell the wife on big towers ($$$$), she might also want a fairly unobtrusive system.

Any suggestions?!

I'm so lost on where to start, especially if I'll need to sell the RB-35s and start from scratch.
Which it sounds like... ^^^

• Moderators

I wouldn't sell the RB 35's just yet, they may be useful in a HT setup, plus you have them already, you do need something to listen to no matter what. :lol:

I don't know how much you know about Klipsch, check out all the different models they sell. When I first found Klipsch I had no idea and just bought what I thought I needed, then after finding other models I felt like slapping myself. :o

I can't lie, I don't know about the other models you asked about, I only have one set of the Reference series, the RB 75's., there in a bedroom.

As far as the possible wife problem with looks, which around here is called WAF, wife acceptance factor, your on your own :o i don't have that problem, my wife picked out our biggest speakers, and there in the living room and there big. :) One thing, some of the Heritage speakers look like furniture......if that helps. 

7 hours ago, AccessDenied said:

Are the RB-35s going to be sufficient in the future?

I'd suggest waiting to see how they perform in the new setting before spending money on new mains.  I've compared my RB-81iis against my RF-7iis and they're more closely matched than you'd expect (at normal volumes...).

You'll have plenty of other things to spend your money on if this is your first home.

• Like 1

Look at a the signatures of our forum memebers.  A lot of us have used speakers which are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the new speakers.  Most of us have systems that are not what you find in BB and other big box stores.  There are a lot treasures on the used market.  The RB 35's are excellent speaker and if you are not sure about large tower, definitely keep them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FuzzyDog said:

I'll just add that if I were in your shoes, my path to 5.1 would be:

1. Buy a center channel speaker.
  2. Buy a subwoofer.
  3. Upgrade your mains and move your 35s to surround duty.

Kind regards,

Fuzzy

Thanks for the advice!

1. Is the RP 440c overkill, paired with the RB-35s I have now?

2. Is the R-12SW sufficient, assuming I'll upgrade the mains later on and use the 35s for surround?

3. What would be good mains to replace the 35s,  assuming I went with the center and sub advised above?

Thanks again for the help!
I'm reading as much as I can on these forums, a bit overwhelming...

It will be our first home so there are definitely other things that money will need to go to, but I'd love to slowly start building up our system.
We're overdue for hosting parties and events.

Cheers!

I am one to say that the RB-35's will work fine in that size room, for now.  Get a nice "matching" center channel and a beefy subwoofer(15" or larger) and you are on your way.  Later on, if you must, replace the RB-35's with Reference Towers(RF-7's, RF-5's, RF-63's, RF-83's, RF-82's, etc.) for a fuller sound.  Move the RB-35's to surround duty then.

Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, willland said:

I am one to say that the RB-35's will work fine in that size room, for now.  Get a nice "matching" center channel and a beefy subwoofer(15" or larger) and you are on your way.  Later on, if you must, replace the RB-35's with Reference Towers(RF-7's, RF-5's, RF-63's, RF-83's, RF-82's, etc.) for a fuller sound.  Move the RB-35's to surround duty then.

Bill

Thanks!!

Any chance you can suggest a "Matching" center channel?

How about the RC-52ii?

Also considering the RP 440c; is that overkill?

I was looking at 12" subs, but I'll also consider the 15".

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

Any chance you can suggest a "Matching" center channel?

How about the RC-52ii?

I would go larger.  On the used market, get the RC-62, RC-62II, or you could go with the matching RC-35 but it is a bit inferior to either 62's. I have no experience with new versions.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AccessDenied said:

1. Is the RP 440c overkill, paired with the RB-35s I have now?

Since you're planning to upgrade your mains at some point, i would recommend purchasing the center speaker that matches your future mains.  I've read that the Reference Premier line as a somewhat different timber than the older reference speakers so i dont know if the RP 440c would perfectly blend with your RB-35s, but if you're eventually going buy the matching Reference Premier tower than it would only be temporary.  If you're willing to scour the used market then i'd keep my eyes open for a RC-62 which would match your 35s.

2. Is the R-12SW sufficient, assuming I'll upgrade the mains later on and use the 35s for surround?

I dont think you'd be very happy with the R-12SW...it would be the weak link in your setup.  I'd recommend trying to stretch the budget to get a sub that you'd be happy with for the long run.  The R-115SW can be found for 1/2 price if you call Acoustic Sound Design.

3. What would be good mains to replace the 35s,  assuming I went with the center and sub advised above?

If you're only looking at new speakers, then i think the new Reference Premier towers would suit you well.  You have a pretty big room so i wouldn't be worried about going too big with the speakers.  As others noted, it's pretty easy to find the older Reference II line of speakers for sale on the used market at good prices.

My advice would be to take your time researching the best speakers for your room and searching out the best prices.  It'll be cheaper to buy what you want the first time than it is to replace gear that you had to settle for...I know this from experience.   

It's taken me about four years to put my system together.  My order of acquisition was to first buy the towers, then a sub, then the center, and then my surrounds.  I found my rear RS-35s on craigslist one day for only $50 and they work perfectly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyDog said:

Since you're planning to upgrade your mains at some point, i would recommend purchasing the center speaker that matches your future mains.  I've read that the Reference Premier line as a somewhat different timber than the older reference speakers so i dont know if the RP 440c would perfectly blend with your RB-35s, but if you're eventually going buy the matching Reference Premier tower than it would only be temporary.  If you're willing to scour the used market then i'd keep my eyes open for a RC-62 which would match your 35s.

I dont think you'd be very happy with the R-12SW...it would be the weak link in your setup.  I'd recommend trying to stretch the budget to get a sub that you'd be happy with for the long run.  The R-115SW can be found for 1/2 price if you call Acoustic Sound Design.

If you're only looking at new speakers, then i think the new Reference Premier towers would suit you well.  You have a pretty big room so i wouldn't be worried about going too big with the speakers.  As others noted, it's pretty easy to find the older Reference II line of speakers for sale on the used market at good prices.

My advice would be to take your time researching the best speakers for your room and searching out the best prices.  It'll be cheaper to buy what you want the first time than it is to replace gear that you had to settle for...I know this from experience.   

It's taken me about four years to put my system together.  My order of acquisition was to first buy the towers, then a sub, then the center, and then my surrounds.  I found my rear RS-35s on craigslist one day for only $50 and they work perfectly.  

This is great. Thank you!

I'll look around for an RC-62. 

I'll also give Acoustic Sounds Design a call and see what the deal with that R-115SW is.

Since I have the RB-35s already, I might try to get a Center first, then a sub, then look for towers later on to move the RBs to the back of the room.

I notice now when watching action movies that I have to turn up the volume for dialogue and turn it way down when any explosions or anything happen.  I assume the center channel will help balance this out?

This site is a great resource so far.
I'll keep reading!

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I had the matching RC 35  center with the RB 35's.  I loved the combo and even paired it for a short time with my RF 7's.  The RC 35 is a decent center IMHO.

I can't seem to find any of the old Refence II series speakers anywhere...

I'd love to just complete my Reference 35 set, but that's 10 years old now.

I'm gonna keep looking for an RC62ii and some RF62ii towers.
Even these are difficult to locate.

Big question though.
The more I read the less I understand...

My current receiver is a Pioneer VSX822k. I want to upgrade this as well; I don't have a remote and it's lacking features like bluetooth.

If I end up with my complete 5.1 setup:
RC62ii
RB35
RF62ii

R-115 SW

How do I match an AVR to this? I'm lost with the talk about matching wpc and output...

Will any modern 5.1 AVR suffice?  When do you need to add an amp with the AVR?

thanks again for the help?

You should be fine.  No amp needed for small to medium size room. Most 5.1 avr's will be OK in a small/medium size room.  It also depends on how loud you listen. Once you start getting external amps, you're venturing into the rabbit hole and things can get expensive.  It just depend on your goals.  If bluethooth is a necessity then you may need another avr with that feature.  Most entry level avr's will not be bluethooth.  Also, if you want to add an external amp, the avr needs preouts.  Now the cost is going up!