New Media Room Help

Jaggie99

Hi All

I am in the process of setting up my new HT Media Room using a projector and AT screen(Seymour XD) 120" diagonal. Speakers will be placed behind the screen leaving 2" to the screen (based on 18" depth of RP280's).

Need some advice asto the Klipsch setup. So, I am leaning towards the Reference Premiere line

1. L & R are going to be RP280f

2. C - torn whether to go with the RP450C(horizontal) or go with RP280 for C channel as well. Pros cons to horizontal vs same 280f as C channel speaker ?

3. Sub - is it better to go with one sub or two subs? Comparing R115SW or R112SW though not sure if 112 is better bang for the buck..the subs can go in the bottom area of the setup. 

4. Finally, thinking RP250S for the surround.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas before I pull the trigger ?

Thanks !!

image.jpeg

1. 280f's are nice, my only question would be about the rear ports and your clearance.  It sounds like you're going to be putting those ports right up against the wall, but I can't visualize what will be behind them yet based on the picture. 

2. Always get a third tower if you can fit it behind a screen and your mains are the same towers.  There are no pros to a horizontal center, it's always a compromise. 

3. Two subs are going to be better.  The R-115SW digs significantly deeper than the 12's and is what you want for home theater unless the budget doesn't allow it. 

4. Not much other choice nowadays, can't go wrong with the RP-250S if you're getting ref premiere everywhere else. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys...also spoke to Klipsch rep to get some insights 

1. The lower shelf is being built to accommodate upto 2 subs in the corner or center. I used 115SW dimensions for opening framing. The black post is being removed as added two structural posts to get the opening needed to accommodate upto 116" wide AT screen

2. There will be dry wall "box out" to accommodate the LCR speakers. Will put some sound absorption there

3. AV equipment will go in the room under stairs (I have 5 ft wide stairs so plenty of room)

4. Would 280FA as L and R and a 280F for C work better (replace the 450CA). Gives me Atmos setup ? Though not sure if ideal for behind projector screen setup but something Klipsch tech rep suggested

5. They also suggested 5800C for ceiling as mids , and replace 250S with 5800W wall mounted for rear surround if I want a discreet look as opposed to the wall mount look with 250S. How are 5800C/W compared to 250S

33 minutes ago, Jaggie99 said:

Thanks for the advice guys...also spoke to Klipsch rep to get some insights 

1. The lower shelf is being built to accommodate upto 2 subs in the corner or center. I used 115SW dimensions for opening framing. The black post is being removed as added two structural posts to get the opening needed to accommodate upto 116" wide AT screen

2. There will be dry wall "box out" to accommodate the LCR speakers. Will put some sound absorption there

3. AV equipment will go in the room under stairs (I have 5 ft wide stairs so plenty of room)

4. Would 280FA as L and R and a 280F for C work better (replace the 450CA). Gives me Atmos setup ? Though not sure if ideal for behind projector screen setup but something Klipsch tech rep suggested

5. They also suggested 5800C for ceiling as mids , and replace 250S with 5800W wall mounted for rear surround if I want a discreet look as opposed to the wall mount look with 250S. How are 5800C/W compared to 250S

I've heard enough strange things come out of the consumer phone line that I've got to recommend to not call them. :) 

1. How far away are you from this screen? 

2. I have some industry-insider'ish links I could forward in regards to that baffle wall if you're interested. 

4. I wouldn't put up-firing speakers behind a screen especially with the drywall cutout you mentioned, not sure why they were pushing this idea. 

5. 5800c or the pro models with the soft dome tweet would be nice for Atmos, not sure what is meant by "as mids".  Just make sure you plan on 4 if you do this, 2 isn't that pleasant. 

Have you heard a THX system?  If you're doing a baffle wall you may want to consider going in that direction. There's pro cinema too but the price tag goes up quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Well metropolislakeoutfitters above is a dealer. I'm sure he can get you what your looking for. If you had a bigger budget I was gonna suggest a cinema route but you wouldn't have enough for that. 

And n's I would only do in ceilings speakers since you are doing speakers behind a screen (which is the perfect way to go in my opinion). And yes three matching LCR behind the screen doesn't get any better than that. 

The more complex aspect of this room that I didn't pick up on at first is that there are no side walls, they're both like 20 feet away or more and I'm not sure the room is symmetrical.  The ceiling speakers were mentioned as an alternative to 5.1 side speakers.  The problem with this is that mixing Atmos ceilings and 7.1 rear channels on the walls with 5.1 sides in the ceiling wouldn't be very good.  I imagine he's either going to have to forget Atmos and go all ceiling surrounds, or better yet, use matching towers or bookshelves for the 5.1 side surrounds so they can come out into the room.  You can use in-walls or on-walls or bookshelves behind you, then bring the sides out into the room, then use four ceiling speakers for overhead Atmos.  It would work since he's got the room.  What sucks about this solution is when you're just a few feet away from the side speaker, I don't like that at all.  But yeah definitely don't mix Atmos and ceiling speakers for side surrounds, or ceiling speakers and on/in-walls for the rears.  The panning would be all over the place. 

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input and insights...Here's another view...So the open concept media wall sets up like this

1. Screen to back wall (windows). 21 feet depth

2. Facing the screen the left closest full wall would be a bar back wall which would be 20 feet from the left edge of the brown structural post (or 25feet from the center point of the screen or center sitting position)

3. Similarly, facing the screen the right closes full wall would be 19 feet from the right brown structural post.

4. Taking into account the 11 feet width between the posts, the total footprint is 50 feet wide

We had to drop the ceiling over the HVAC, so total height of 93inches/8'9" here(includes 1 inch for Drywall). Plan to put Roxul in there and double drywall as that gives me just enough room to add Front two Ceiling speakers. Would only be able to accommodate a 4.5" depth type ceiling speaker(5650 ?). Outside of the HVAC the ceiling goes back up to 9 ft

IMG_0642.JPG

I have a difficult room in the basement.  I have in-ceiling and in-wall speakers.  The surround back and side surrounds are in-wall and fairly close to ceiling height.  Dolby Atmos recommends the surrounds be lower but, I've rear if you must use high surround it can still work with good results.  The main thing will be placement and separation of the speakers.  I am running a 9.x.2 and can be easily swithced to a 5.x.4.  Leave enough rope and the tiles with the speakers can be moved, lol.  You can't do that with a regular ceiling, he, he.