Would a 0.7 scale University Classic work smooth to 500?

karlson3

If the original model was right and I scaled it right, then a baby Classic for 12" looks good with a B&C12pe32 - but would it work in practice?

Do you think it would go high enough to allow a 500 or so crossover? - or would it get rough before 500Hz?  Has anyone built and published a down-scaled version?

if it worked then might be a fun midbass when augmented by a small sub.  It would have to be shipped and I donn't have space for the real thing

plus have too many horns, Karlsons, etc.

j36Okqg.jpg

Ml4LU9Q.jpg
zvXW2tC.jpg
TmsTjQw.jpg
5EGPNLP.jpg
q4rYPFc.jpg

LjpnlrD.jpg

I believe there was a gentleman on here from the Netherlands who crossed his regular sized at 1Khz. You would lose too much bittom end the make the cabinet smaller.

I'll try to find the link for you.

Bruce

if a 0.7 size could reach 100Hz solid in-room (might not ?) then it may blend with my 12" sub  (?)  I'd have to ditch my FH1 and more (both a good idea space wise) to make use of what I have already - its a curiosity thing to see/hear whether a good midbass folded horn can be made from its folding.   My modified RCA-Fan hypex reaches nearly flat to 60 in-room

20-maybe 110Hz - of course, not a lot of power from an Infinity 1260W- its smooth with no stuffing - just some felt lining

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e15/1517101_1573060802917643_531752324_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=ODQ3MDc5NDk1MTYyNzAyNDk2.2

this is a smooth horn - it came out well - plus very rigid from 5/8" Baltic birch other than the baffle and I think lid - I've not tried it with my 12pe32

a2EYtXQ.jpg

Normally I go for Karlson tech because other than efficiency I can achieve a big sound and impact in a smaller package - the price is more watts input

here's an 8 inch Delta Pro8A in a little coupler - it could be a bit smaller - its topped with "THE TUBE" K-tube and a Dayton D250p compression driver.   A similar K-tube can be made from a piece of 1" schedule 40 pipe - or even paper.  I have some in brass which are pretty.

This is the response of Beyma, Fane and Eminence PA drivers a vintage Isophon and Gamma Bulgarian driver, the last one with a Fr of 28 Hz a Q around 0.4 and a Vas of 300 liter no less! All mounted in Kuben a La Scala look alike. they all reach to arund 1 kHz despite having mass roll offs way lower than that.

alldrivers.jpg

Here's an old outdoors graph I took of my FH1 with stock woofer - the upper trace was with microphone laying on the ground, the lower trace, mic about 15 inches off the ground and 30 degrees off horizontal axis.   Does the 30 degree off axis trace approximately follow what mass rolloff says? - or is the ~900Hz notch a standing wave effect? (and interference effect between the "two mouths" )

OUTDOORS - FH1

4ca8a220_fh1peavey.jpeg

my new 70 hz folded horn with a Community "buyout" 12 inch speaker seems to rolloff above 400 in a cramped room - I've

not tried a 12pe32 as RCA-Fan says that will only tilt the response - not go "higher"

the little (7 cubic foot external bulk) midbass horn looks pretty strong as there's no attenuation on the 511/ University SA-HF compression driver combo - just a 24uF cap highpass.   I don't know about my old tractrix 250Hz Edgarhorn midhorn - its a good 10dB less sensitive than the midbass from this room/mic perspective. 

IN-ROOM 70Hz horn

tHPM6Kx.gif

IF the baby S9 turns out well then it might make a fun project - if not - it'll still be cute (to horn lovers) ;^)