Will Heresy match up...

RTR

I am in a slippery slope. I want, I want, I want  I currently have RF 280F's, RF 450C, RP140s-SA, and using RP150M as surrounds. I have been craving some Heresy's. Will Heresy's match up with the 450 center and a R-112SW? Will the Heresy be ok with a Yamaha RX-A1050?  I've read Heresy's prefer tubes. 

I'm about 50% music and 50% movies/TV. Would the Hersey's make a big difference in what I'm hearing. I feel the need to experiment, so much good is written on the Heresy's. There are no stores near that sell Heresy's for me to try out.

The Heresies are a slippery slope from the RP-280F. I used the RP-280Fs as my main listening speakers and they sounded excellent until I got my Heresies. I A/B'd them for a while, but now the Reference Premieres have been moved out of my rig for kind of a while.

The timbre is quite different; the Heresy has more recessed treble. If you A/B'd white noise, you'd hear very different tone on the H than the RP. However, I find the Heresy incredibly musical, and I find that even my 1989 pair (technically KP-201s, built for professional installations) have a final peak of dynamics that the Reference Premieres don't. They have a very rich sound, some music that I thought was unlistenable prior (any original Led Zeppelin recording) sounds fantastic through them. I attribute this to the three-way design, I find that having a dedicated mid horn makes a huge difference.

The RPs are better for some video games; the treble extension makes ambient location sound (wind, waterfalls, etc) in The Legend of Zelda sound much better, for example. But the Heresy's huge dynamism flatters action games like Splatoon, where punchy sound effects seem totally un-constrained by the speaker. 

While the first thing I noticed when I switched to the Heresy was the rolled off treble (the RP-280Fs have more 'air'), the first thing I noticed when I switched back was the RP-280F's thin midrange. You'll also notice that the Heresy is very light on bass, I'll say that a subwoofer is essential. They make a difference in sound that is unimaginable until you've heard a pair, and they flatter an incredible amount of source material.

But! To answer your question directly, I don't think they'll be a very natural match in a system with the RP speakers. The RPs have air, the Heresys have richness. You won't regret getting them, but they will be noticeably different if you put them with the Reference Premieres.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, willland said:

Get the Heresys and fix yourself up a separate stereo rig.  Or you could use them in Zone 2 of your Yamaha.

Bill

Didn't think about zone 2. Brilliant. I think I'll do that.

Thanks!!

20 hours ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

The Heresies are a slippery slope from the RP-280F. I used the RP-280Fs as my main listening speakers and they sounded excellent until I got my Heresies. I A/B'd them for a while, but now the Reference Premieres have been moved out of my rig for kind of a while.

The timbre is quite different; the Heresy has more recessed treble. If you A/B'd white noise, you'd hear very different tone on the H than the RP. However, I find the Heresy incredibly musical, and I find that even my 1989 pair (technically KP-201s, built for professional installations) have a final peak of dynamics that the Reference Premieres don't. They have a very rich sound, some music that I thought was unlistenable prior (any original Led Zeppelin recording) sounds fantastic through them. I attribute this to the three-way design, I find that having a dedicated mid horn makes a huge difference.

The RPs are better for some video games; the treble extension makes ambient location sound (wind, waterfalls, etc) in The Legend of Zelda sound much better, for example. But the Heresy's huge dynamism flatters action games like Splatoon, where punchy sound effects seem totally un-constrained by the speaker. 

While the first thing I noticed when I switched to the Heresy was the rolled off treble (the RP-280Fs have more 'air'), the first thing I noticed when I switched back was the RP-280F's thin midrange. You'll also notice that the Heresy is very light on bass, I'll say that a subwoofer is essential. They make a difference in sound that is unimaginable until you've heard a pair, and they flatter an incredible amount of source material.

But! To answer your question directly, I don't think they'll be a very natural match in a system with the RP speakers. The RPs have air, the Heresys have richness. You won't regret getting them, but they will be noticeably different if you put them with the Reference Premieres.

Thanks for reply on the Heresies. I believe I'll get some.  Think I'll use Willliand's idea and use zone 2 of my receiver to power the Heresies and use zone 2 for music. I can compare them that way too. 

20 hours ago, Weber said:

No stores around here either. I've enjoyed the ride through a few thousand pounds of speakers. Through it all, the Heritage speakers survived the cuts. 

Where are you?

Southwest Indiana.  We have a store that sells the RF series, but no Heritage.

4 hours ago, RTR said:

Thanks for reply on the Heresies. I believe I'll get some.  Think I'll use Willliand's idea and use zone 2 of my receiver to power the Heresies and use zone 2 for music. I can compare them that way too. 

Nice! I think you'll be happy with them, they're definitely my favorite speakers all around. If I could only keep one pair, they'd be the one.

One thing to note, too. Listen to them with grilles on and grilles off. I don't know how thick the mesh is on new pairs, but on my old school pro Heresys the material is thick (presumably for enhanced protection) and eats some of the treble, particularly at low volume. Enjoy, and let us know how you like them!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked the Heresys up today.  Opinion after about an hour....they sound fantastic! They really do rock ... Haven't tried with movies, but music is so much better. I thought the RP-280's were good, these are great for music.  Can't wait until they're broke in.

Thanks for the replies. And great dealing with Mike from Acoustic Sound Design.