Extended Heritage with no passive radiator?

meeker1

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. I am still waiting for a nice pair of Heresy speakers to pop up on craigslist. In the meantime, I see a lot of the 'extended' range (forte, quartet, etc.) there too, and would go that route except I don't think they do well close against the wall because of the rear firing radiator. My question is, is there a model in the extended range that can happily sit flush or close to a wall? Essentially something mid-way between a Heresy and a Cornwall. I realize there's lots of options in the slimmer newer speakers but want that classic look.

thanks,

Dan

I think the extended with passive radiators are meant to be close to a wall or corner. I've owned KG4s since 1990 and I distinctly remember the audio guy telling me that the bass was extended by getting them into a corner/wall.

I have them in my garage now and pushed up against the wall and they bring it. Could be the 40 foot depth with 10 foot ceilings or the adcom amp driving them but I'll stick with proximity to the wall so the passive can do its thing.

My 2cents

If you have 4"-6" space between the wall and the speaker (or toed in at a mid angle), that will be enough.  As long as you don't place them against the wall, you will be fine with a rear mounted passive.  You will also get a little better extension compared to a number of the front ported speakers.