Converting Quartets into Forte II

jvs1670

I have a pair of Quartets in very good condition.  A guy near me is selling Forte II cabs with no speakers or crossovers, grills or risers for $40.    Is it worth it to swap the tweets and mids over and buy the woofers and passives.    Will the crossover work as is or will I need to mod that as well or get an entirely new crossover?

Is there a real upgrade to be had or should I just leave well enough alone?      Where would I look for the woofers and passives if I was to go that route, would like to see some prices.

I agree with Grizzog and your thought that it is best to live with what you've got.

The passive is something I've never seen on the market as he says.  Unfortunately we've not seen parameters on the passive to tune an aftermarket substitute. 

You can look at the collection of crossovers.  Last I looked the Forte II is more sophisticated though maybe you could modify the Quartet crossover.

Another thing is that the Forte II uses a K-75 tweeter and the Quartet uses a K-76.  Yeah I've been know to say they share the same tweeter but not so.  I believe they both use the same diaphragm and I suspect the K-75 uses a smaller magnet.  The Chorus II uses a K-79.  This probably has a larger magnet to increase the sensitivity.

WMcD