Auction Historical Audio, (Western Electric, McIntosh, Marantnz, etc.)

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Klipsch to Auction Historical Audio Items(Western Electric, McIntosh, Marantz, etc.)

Klipsch Group Inc. (KGI) will be selling surplus items from The Klipsch Museum of Audio HistoryKGI isreducing its inventory as the collection has outgrown its display space. In order to concentrate on the heritage of Paul W. Klipsch and his products, and to ensure the long-term preservation of these related historic artifacts, we will be selling over 100 items“secondary” to the Paul Klipsch story. Paul purchased and collected most of these himself. 

Brands included are McIntosh, Marantz, Western Electric, VictorLeak, and RCA.  There are phonographs, cylinder records, reel to reel players, speakers, and antique radios.  A working list of items will follow sometime next week with more extensive photographs and descriptions to follow after that.

Our plan is to sell these select “secondary” items on eBay over the next few months.  We need your help in spreading the word and bringing qualified buyers to the auctions as they are announced.  

We plan to make announcements on forums such as Audio Asylum and Audio Karma, but we need your feedback and help on other forums and websites where we can make announcements, especially on items such as:  

1. Phonographs
2. Radios
3. Cylinder records
4. Electronics
5. Etc.

This is an incredible opportunity for audio collectors and preservationists worldwide. Please help us get the word out to the right people who will understand thevalue and assume the responsibility of preservation. We will announce the start of this sale on the Forum in the coming weeks.  A percentage of the proceeds will go to the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, Inc., so let’s get these prices up! 

• Like 6

There are enough collectors here that you could sell 10% of the collectibles here, and take not more than a minor hit on the net sale.

If the powers that be want these items to be valued and curated rather than resold, this is the first place I would think to sell them. EBay will give a higher return on average, but there the buyer will have very, very little motivation to hold onto the gear in most cases.

• Like 4

I honestly think whom ever is taking care of this should do some research on the worth of the gear and at least give active forum members a chance to buy it before it goes to the auction block. Klipsch would benefit by saving the crazy eBay selling costs and create goodwill/loyalty from its most fantical customers/fans. It really is not that hard to look up completed auctions to see what eBay generally nets a seller on items. Screw ePay is my motto...

• Like 8

4 hours ago, NOSValves said:

I honestly think whom ever is taking care of this should do some research on the worth of the gear and at least give active forum members a chance to buy it before it goes to the auction block. Klipsch would benefit by saving the crazy eBay selling costs and create goodwill/loyalty from its most fantical customers/fans. It really is not that hard to look up completed auctions to see what eBay generally nets a seller on items. Screw ePay is my motto...

Agree 100%

• Moderators
5 hours ago, NOSValves said:

As far as the research on the price of the gear, some of it is ascertainable from completed listings on eBay, however, some of it isn't at all.  Some of it is one of a kind, or things that only come up once a decade, and eBay keeps limiting the amount of time you can go back to look at completed listings to come up with research on prices. 

An initial list of items should be up tomorrow for everyone to look at so they can provide input on any items.

With regard to selling directly on the forums, we certainly agreed with you, that Klipsch could probably net a higher amount on some items by  more of a direct sale to forum members on items that had a an easily ascertainable value.  However, Klipsch is part of a publicly traded company and so there is more red tape to comply with both in making sales of any items available to the entire "public" and from an accounting standpoint.  It is very difficult, if not impossible, to comply with all of that without going through some type of public auction. 

In any event, we were very glad when they offered the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, Inc. (KHMA)  a percentage of the proceeds from the sale to help us get the museum off the ground and running when they take over the building and property before the end of the year.  We are assisting in the sale and will obviously do everything we can to get the word out to everyone that has an interest in antique phonographs, radios, drivers, horns, etc. so that we can give the KHMA a strong footing to ensure that all of the Klipsch spearkers and other artificats have a safe and secure spot long  into  the future.

Travis

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BamaMike said:

I look forward to seeing this "list"!

We should have a list up tomorrow in at least PDF format.  The  initial list will have one photo, and a very brief description.  KHMA people will be working on a more detailed list with additional photos in the coming weeks.

Travis

• Like 2

There is little reason to not be able to forecast a range of values for some of the closely connected gear that PWK collected, directly used, and Klipsch fanatics would dearly love to purchase, and realize a larger return. Let me give a fer instance.....

The Brook 12A that Paul has would garner $1500 to $2200, in an open EBay sale, based on prior sales history. 10% of that proceed would result in $220 being generated for KHMA. Run an open bid thread on the Klipsch forum, and require that all folks bidding on it MUST make a $200 registration donation to KHMA, just to participate in the bidding.

I am sure that Iain, myself, and another five to ten people would cough to have a chance to win the amp. Even if the amp sold for $1500, having five people kick $200 would net the museum $1,000, plus $1,500 for the auction. Ten people getting involved would net the museum $2,000, plus another $1,500 for the auction.

There are strategic bid sales that would greatly enhance traffic, interest, and better support the museum effort without needing to provide an auction house with 11% to 30% of the net revenue, while also rewarding registered forum members for their needed support. A little creativity and groundwork would seemingly enhance this surplus dispersal, more so than an EBay sell off en toto.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Here it is folks, the preliminary list of items for the upcoming eBay Auctions.

I have attached it here as a pdf file, you can also  go to a link here http://klipschmuseum.org/sale/KlipschMuseumSale.pdf

The first set of items will be extensively photographed at the end of the month with vastly expanded descriptions.  On some items, where ethically possible, provinces will be provided establishing the direct history to PWK.

More to come.

Travis

Preliminary Item List.pdf

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, paul79 said:

Reach out to your dealers, service centers, etc. Not just the ones that bring the big bucks. The little guys are forgotten all too often, and this is where these products will be appreciated the most, very likely.

Excellent idea.  We are in the process of seeing if we can get Sales to do an email blast to their dealership network.

Travis

What comes to my mind is - the wider the advertising is of this sale, the more the proceeds for everyone., my main  concern, the Museum.

On one hand, "Duh".

But what I'm saying is there has to be an effort to notify the wider prospective bidder base over and above JUST putting on Ebay.

******   Oh, and of course the Ebay auctions should be longest time term possible, for alll reasons.******

Yes, this has been mentioned above, but I just want to reinforce this idea, and offer my help.

I love to dig for obscure info on the net, it's one of my things.

I have the time.

I may not be aware of all of the search tricks out there, but have the advantage of time, perseverance, and interest.

The desirability ( selling prices) of these items  could be ALL over the board on this stuff, some pennies, some MAJOR $.

Would be not good to leave "money on the table" by not thoroughly exposing to the widest number of  valid prospects.

I am willing to put time into any research if asked,     Lars

• Like 1