Auction Historical Audio, (Western Electric, McIntosh, Marantnz, etc.)

dtel's wife

Lars, there are multiple ways to skin any cat. Having handled a couple large stereo estates, EBay is not always the best method to get gear in the most sympathetic and caring of hands, nor may it raise the most money for the museum. It is, however, one of the least troublesome of methods if you want to do a minimum of work and fussing.

The L-H sale did include the center console, and came about due to Peter Hegeman selling it before he succumbed from cancer.

As I pointed out earlier, the best way to raise money for the museum is to have a subscribed ante to get in the select auction, so the ante more than doubles the 10% slice the auction will bring, rendering any difference in the hammer price moot. I have been in fundraising auctions for a number of years. Getting the gate to cover all of your needed fundraising and expenses is the single best way to successfully fundraise.

The Kinzers, Young, Schulmann, and the two California auction houses all have substantial subscriber bases, and a much higher level of established trust than EBay, and they all work harder on the phones to get the word out to the well heeled clients that just love the Western Electric, Marantz, Vitavox, and other delectable gear in this auction. Depending who you want to win the gear, and how much you want to realize from the auction, and how much you are willing to depress the sale, all factor into which vehicle you choose to conduct the sale.

Putting the auction on EBay effectively divorces the connection to Klipsch and PWK, because Klipsch still does not want or seek an EBay identity to conduct business. I also thing this auction is going to turn into a donut sale, where the significant gear will be shipped mainly to Europe or the Asian rim, if it follows the estate dispersal sales I have seen with similar historically significant gear. C'est la vie.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Karsoncookie said:

What comes to my mind is - the wider the advertising is of this sale, the more the proceeds for everyone., my main  concern, the Museum.

On one hand, "Duh".

But what I'm saying is there has to be an effort to notify the wider prospective bidder base over and above JUST putting on Ebay.

******   Oh, and of course the Ebay auctions should be longest time term possible, for alll reasons.******

Yes, this has been mentioned above, but I just want to reinforce this idea, and offer my help.

I love to dig for obscure info on the net, it's one of my things.

I have the time.

I may not be aware of all of the search tricks out there, but have the advantage of time, perseverance, and interest.

The desirability ( selling prices) of these items  could be ALL over the board on this stuff, some pennies, some MAJOR $.

Would be not good to leave "money on the table" by not thoroughly exposing to the widest number of  valid prospects.

I am willing to put time into any research if asked,     Lars

Please consider yourself asked.

It is difficult at this point to tell you where to begin.  About 10 to 15 audio forums were contacted today and given notice and the same list, including sites like Audiokarma, and others.  That will be up to over twenty by Monday.

We are looking to start an initial launch of about 40 of the items in early October.

Many, many of these items are known forwards and backwards by the Historian Jim Hunter, and specifically when, how, and where PWK purchased it. 

On all of the items there are certain aspects of research we need help with, if you send me your email in a PM I can get you started on some items.

Thank you for the offer of help.

Travis

• Moderators
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, NOSValves said:

well I have no idea about the laws involved but it seems to me that Klipsch sells directly to the public every single day. So to me it really doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

I'm with you on that Craig, but technically they don't sell to the public for the most part.  They sell to dealers and distributors, who in turn sell to the public.  The direct sales of certain items is even more complex.

Believe me, this is one project that is near and dear to my heart, and I (along with others in KHMA) strongly advocated for ways to avoid auction fees.  A public company has to deal with the Leviathan (red tape and state and federal level).   

It is not my first choice, but we were able to get them to allow the nonprofit to assist in the sale of the items for a percentage of the proceeds which they graciously agreed to, and now we are going to do everything we can to try and make this the most successful sale, and raise the most money possible, within the parameters we have to work within.

• Moderators
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, sheltie dave said:
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, sheltie dave said:

There is little reason to not be able to forecast a range of values for some of the closely connected gear that PWK collected, directly used, and Klipsch fanatics would dearly love to purchase, and realize a larger return. Let me give a fer instance.....

The Brook 12A that Paul has would garner $1500 to $2200, in an open EBay sale, based on prior sales history. 10% of that proceed would result in $220 being generated for KHMA. Run an open bid thread on the Klipsch forum, and require that all folks bidding on it MUST make a $200 registration donation to KHMA, just to participate in the bidding.

I am sure that Iain, myself, and another five to ten people would cough to have a chance to win the amp. Even if the amp sold for $1500, having five people kick $200 would net the museum $1,000, plus $1,500 for the auction. Ten people getting involved would net the museum $2,000, plus another $1,500 for the auction.  It works good for one item.  But when you are trying to list 40 items, for a total sales of about, just to through out a number, $50,000, so the museum, can net about $10,000, it gets more complicated.  You need about 25 buyers willing to pay about $200, and you are going to need to get fairly good returns on the items.  That's 25 people willing to spend $2,200 each.  It is certainly doable, but it doesn't the accountability and transparency required for a publically traded company. 

There are strategic bid sales that would greatly enhance traffic, interest, and better support the museum effort without needing to provide an auction house with 11% to 30% of the net revenue, while also rewarding registered forum members for their needed support. A little creativity and groundwork would seemingly enhance this surplus dispersal, more so than an EBay sell off en toto.  I agree with that as well.  But we have been working on trying to have participation in the auction for 5 months.  Through lawyers, presidents, and officers of both KGI and Voxx.  The structure of how to do the auctions just came down from New York about a week ago. I little more context below.

You, as always, bring up valid points.  Just a little brief background on the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association (KHMA) who will take over the possession of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History to give this one aspect (eBay sale) some more context in the big picture.

As Jim Hunter mentioned in the Genesis thread about the beginnings of KHMA, very early this year KGI realized that Jim Hunter was retiring at the end of this year.  Since he was the company Historian, they ask him to find suitable homes for the artifacts and archives that would not fit in Indy.  This was Jim's life work, and to help him ensure that he was doing everything he could to ensure the safe keeping of these priceless photographs, letters, papers, publications, not to mention the Klipsch artifacts he set about to find good possible locations for these items.  The papers were considered for a University such as NMSU, some of the artifacts were considered for delivery there as well.  Other museums and institutions were considered.  It was determined that the 116 items being listed, were not directly related to PWK or Klipsch and Associates, and should be sold..  It was a big job and in March Jim sought the counsel of some forum members to assist with finding suitable locations.  With Christy's help they put together a team of people of about 7 of us.  At some point Christy stood up and said "why can't we get KGI to give on the Museum Building and the acre of land it sits on and we can keep everything in Hope where it belongs"  Jim responded, "why didn't I think of that."  From then until now we have been working on getting the land and building donated, a nonprofit corporation formed and official 501(c)(3) corp status. 

On the sale of these surplus items it was mentioned very early on that they were going to be for sale and that KGI would be selling them through a new eBay system that was being developed out of New York.  We worked on trying to get KGI to change its mind on selling the items.  That's where I started negotiating from.  Give us all of the items, we will sell them and fund the museum.  Back and forth, to the point where it was just dead.  They would be listed and gone.  It didn't sit with me and I had a couple of critical meetings with the Vice President of Marketing, who provided invaluable insight into the background of the situation.  Another informal conversation was had and the initial indication was "no again."

More later, I have to get to bed.  Part II tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 9/13/2016 at 6:15 AM, soundbound said:

I thought Klipsch sold items on eBay in the past and maybe still was and that's why I was also asking for their eBay store link.

Yes they did, Amy ran that one and I believe it was north of 3,000 sales.  It hasn't been active in a couple of years.  I believe that is the one they want to try and reactivate to do these sales.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, sheltie dave said:

Any ETA, and what is klipsch's. Tag?

As far as the Ebay store name, it should be activated within two weeks.  The day it comes on line by KGI I will announce it here in this thread and under the Museum Section.

The Klipsch Musuem eBay team is up there now getting the first 40 items ready for sale.  Photos from every angle, video, frequency sweeps on appropriate drivers, etc. are being completed.

A couple of the big WE buyers are coming to takes a look at what's there WE wise.  If anyone here wants to go look in person as what is being sold in person that can be arranged.  I figure people on here have seen it one or more times on tours of the Museum.  

I think the launch of the first 50 items will be right about October 15.

Things should pick up at the end of next week.

Travis

• Like 1