Small rip in passive radiator

dtr20

I have a pair of forte ii's and one has a small rip in its passive radiator. The rip is like an inch long and there is no material missing, just a slit in the cone. What type of glue or whatever should I use to fix it? Obviously I want it to be unseen, so something clear. Thanks

10 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I have a pair of forte ii's and one has a small rip in its passive radiator.

Can you take a picture of it? I had a tear in the passive of a pair of Chorus II's I use to own. Luckily when it got punctured the speaker material was still attached. I pushed the torn part of the cone back in place, and used this Silicone with some construction paper to make it more sturdy and it worked like a charm. I got this stuff at Lowe's.

IMG_2440.JPG

PE sells this stuff.  I'd use it if I were going to make a repair like yours.  Then again, I have no personal experience.  I think this goes on fairly fluid and milky and then cures clear, and maybe water soluble and this should aid in gluing to paper.  It might be the stuff which is advertised as being used to glue seams in parachutes and stick on boy scout merit badges.  OTOH, RTV (room temperature vulcanizing bathtub caulk is sticky enough though whether it is the best for paper I don't know. 

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-repair-glue-1-oz-bottle--340-076

I agree that some reinforcement is a good idea.  Construction paper was mentioned.  Of course this can be placed on the reverse side.  People have used cigarette paper too.

You might use some fabric like silk or rayon from an old necktie or sports garb.  It would be stronger than paper.

WMcD

I have used, and djk has also recommended, to use Weldbond, a similar product. You can get this lots of places... Thin a bit (with water), an repair from the back. Put some over the tear, place some strong paper, like a tissue, cigarette paper patch over it. Add a few more thinned coats. It dries clear and flexible. You won't need to put anything on the front. I've repaired rubber surrounds with this aand they are still going strong after a few year of rockin'.

Bruce

tmp_24822-20160905_174435~2998829734.jpg

I repaired a tear in one of my Chorus II passive radiators... I used just the tiniest amount of super glue to hold the edges together. Then I used regular Elmer's glue all and thinned it with some water. I then used a small brush to paint on several thin layers on the front and back of the cone.

Since the cone is paper the Elmer's worked perfectly and with just a bit of water mixed in, it soaked into the edges of the tear. I alternated front/back with each layer of glue, waiting for each layer to dry. It was barely visible when finished, but easily as strong as the surrounding cone area.

Hello.

Last summer I repaired an over-excursion damaged K-22-E with the Parts Express glue mentioned above (340-076).  While this glue looks like wood glue, it dries clear and "rubbery" and stays somewhat flexible.  I thought it made a good repair - certainly glued the fibers down in my case -  but it's far from invisible.  Anyway I decided to upgrade to new woofers.  Just thought this might help others if they are deciding between glues.

Good luck!    

K-22-E Damage.jpg

K-22-E Repair.jpg