college FB 16/ NFL PLAYOFFS 2017

wvu80

I was at the WVU homecoming yesterday.  I marched with the 280 piece alumni band.  It was just a fantastic day. 

14581492_10210467030622322_6044571772075

We striped the stadium gold and blue.  The camera angle is from where I sat in the stands with the band.

This is the alumi drum line starting the pre-game.  I am on the goal line with cymbals, 3rd from right.  It is a thrill to be on the field with 65,000 people screaming, the sound gets focused right onto the field.  You can't even hear yourself yelling at the top of your lungs.  Look at the sky, it was 72 degrees and just beautiful.  It was a good day to be a Mountaineer, no matter where you are. 

14522820_10210467031942355_6256571157805

My 4-0 Mountaineers just got ranked 22nd or so.  It won't last as we get to the meat of the Big 12 Conference play.  Still, it's fun to be considered in the top 25.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Dave, I'm guessing the alumni band played a few songs? What were they? Great day for you guys!

We play the classic school fight songs, Fight Mountaineers and Hail West Virginia, then the un-official state song, Take Me Home, Country Roads, by John Denver.

We then go off the field, and re-enter to play the Star Spangled Banner, arranged by Don Wilcox, the band director when I was there.

I am a HUGE fan of the SSB, and I've heard hundreds of versions, vocal, barber shop, band, military band, etc.  The arrangement for band is the BEST I've ever heard.  As I stand on the field, I hear 24 tubas, 60 trumpets/melos blast into my ear behind me.  No speaker system in world can reproduce what I hear, standing there.  The arrangement is NOT soft, it is a magnificent LOUD upbeat version that is musically glorious about everything that is great about our country.

Here is the WVU Pride of West Virginia and the Alabama Million Dollar Band playing the WVU arrangement of the SSB.  The Alabama Director of Bands is a WVU alum and my former drum major. 

Listen to what happens when they reach the traditionally "soft" part ..."and the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air..."  THIS is what rockets and bombs are supposed to sound like!  The music starts at 2:25.

• Like 2

Great video Dave! Fun to watch that. My brother was in the Million Dollar Band many moons ago. 24 tubas is a bunch! 6 is a lot around here for HS bands.

On the football front. Here is this weeks top 10.

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Clemson
  4. Michigan
  5. Washington
  6. Houston
  7. Louisville
  8. Texas A&M
  9. Tennessee
  10. Miami

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

I'd say he had trouble finding his groove in the first half of their game against Clemson. Louisville still almost won it. 42-36 final score

I noticed that he sure had skinny legs and ran a lot. That's not good for the NFL as they would tie his legs into a knot.

JJK

32 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I noticed that he sure had skinny legs and ran a lot. That's not good for the NFL as they would tie his legs into a knot.

A lot of those super fast guys have skinny calves.  Stef Curry (Warriors) is like that.  If you look at Peyton Manning (Peyton on Sunday Morning commercials, retired and at the Park) his calves are skinny.

I think scouts are starting to assess Jackson's NFL QB skills, such as the ability to throw from the pocket.  I don't think anybody wants to repeat another Johnny Football disaster.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Being from WV you should know.  It's a specialization in the evaluation of communication disorders, voice disorders and swallowing disorders.

No politics, please.

Brigham Young beat Michigan State at MSU.  BYU has lost several games by slim margins, they may be the best 3-loss team in the nation.  WVU beat them a couple of weeks ago, again by a slim margin.  Signature win for BYU. 

You guys tell me, devastating loss for MSU?