JWC Bass Horn

justinsweber

Got to spend some time listening to JWC horn at Dave's house... incredible sound. It has the speed and punch of the Khorn without the complexity of cabinet. Looks wise, Dave found a way to make it look a lot like a Belle. 2 12" woofers seem to much more air than the 15" and extend further without the distortion. Not sure how Ill incorporate it yet, but I have a kit on order... should be fun. 2 12" woofers and an eliptrac or K402 :-).

4d73c3dd1a527f60752526a4b0c848ee?AccessKb46c15bdd77c11241ca703e07600a74b?AccessK1e5bd11cefa879604dcadc93b2708685?AccessKd7d1cce5c1cd041688af6672654abd6f?AccessK1ddcb3b427791d840cc3c3ea363690d8?AccessK280f0a5925b46c2f26f22f71e2780b30?AccessK684ad713455bb183d3d1258cbf6660a2?AccessK

• Like 4

It's not yet available for purchase.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:40 PM, Marvel said:

Justin, is the back sealed or done as an open baffle? That doesn't look too large if those are 12" woofers.

Bruce

Its not an open baffle, the one in the pics is rear ported, but the description says sealed or ported.

574186aa749610c257214ce42bcadece?AccessK623370bb9be81d5ddd284d96e0e96e00?AccessK

From our standards, this is a "small footprint" design.  :lol:

I originally posted about this here:

Fastlane has done the magic to make a DIY Kit for the hard part.   I'm looking forward to trying out the kit myself with my son helping me this time.  This fun kit is not meant to "replace" anything and is for those who love DIY projects.

The inspiration of this design came after my Big dual 12" tractrix horn that was a "full space" calculated flare.  It was a difficult build and would be hard to make in a kit......plus it is "big".

My first stab at a straight horn was here....very basic:

• Like 1

In the rear ported variation of this ported bass horn, .. note that the speaker can't be placed directly against the wall (would block the ports) thus making true 1/4 space loading impossible .

One possibility would be (slot) front ports. See this onken / front horn hybrid for inspiration : 

http://www.vt52.com/diy/myprojects/speakers/bass/bass.htm

• Like 1

Yes, there is variations on the theme.  Already went through many thoughts of how to port in different areas of the front.  Its been discussed.

The horn flare is "calculated" 1/4 space.  Where you put the speaker is up to you.  Theoretically, a port w/in 3" of a surface will impact the port function.  Personaly I don't put speakers that close to a wall anyway.  Didn't do it with Belles or Lascalas or my current Cornscalas which are about 8" from the wall.

Porting in back was intentional for first demoing.....worked fine when done before.....as you don't know how the port will interact with the sound front coming from the horn.

It is a Kit to do with what you want.  There is enough volume in the back chamber for subwoofer loading.....lol.  

S-W-E-E-T

On 9/7/2016 at 5:13 AM, jwc said:

The inspiration of this design came after my Big dual 12" tractrix horn that was a "full space" calculated flare.  It was a difficult build and would be hard to make in a kit......plus it is "big".

JWC, was that the "snail" horn?

Sound wise, how does this compare to your dual 12" tractix horn?  I am excited to see Dave possibly produce a kit.  Let me know if he needs more  testers. 

What woofers is he trying these with?  Will it be some what universal with the 12" drivers?  Different brands and what note.

OK one more question then I am going to bed.  How wide is it?

If my eyes don't d.... he is using tc1244 woofers to test the bins.
Got the same questions, is it universal, size etc.
And do you need a tester in the netherlands[emoji56]
(To see if the kit survives the long transport ofcourse [emoji12] )

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Sound wise, how does this compare to your dual 12" tractix horn?  I am excited to see Dave possibly produce a kit.  Let me know if he needs more  testers. 

What woofers is he trying these with?  Will it be some what universal with the 12" drivers?  Different brands and what note.

OK one more question then I am going to bed.  How wide is it?

You can tell by the dims on the original Minipunch thread.  The top and bottom cuts are just over 31".  The side panels are 20" deep by 25" wide.  That would be 25" internal height........

minipunch-dim.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoef said:

If my eyes don't d.... he is using tc1244 woofers to test the bins.
Got the same questions, is it universal, size etc.
And do you need a tester in the netherlandsemoji56.png
(To see if the kit survives the long transport ofcourse emoji12.png )

Yes....tc1244.  22 bucks each....

When first scratched up, the idea was for "K-31 - like" woofers.  However, my first knee-jerk woofer to recommend is the Eminence Delta LFA 8 ohm..

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-12lfa-12-low-frequency-driver--290-416

I believe several options will work....just my opinion.  I like the idea of the BC 12BG100.  I think they will sound good out to 400Hz...will have to see.  Pricey.  The impedance curve on them doesn't go bonkers up to 400Hz.

I had 4 of their 15" version 15BG100.....complete head splitters.  Some people visiting my house heard those in my snail horns. 

Of note....I would love to hear BC 12BG100's in some Jubes.

• Like 2