JWC Bass Horn

justinsweber

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:25 PM, jwc said:
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:19 AM, jwc said:

I have a few steps left and the horn(s) part will be done and will conclude the "kit part of the build".   Then I will publish a little video.

I am anxious to see the end result. Did you decide on a woofer?

HB

Dave has this CNC thing down.  The kits are fantastic.  A novice can put this together. 

I have a few steps left and the horn(s) part will be done and will conclude the "kit part of the build".   Then I will publish a little video.

Part two will be putting the box around the horn.  End user will have to make the cuts for this.

When you have finished would it be possible for you to make a measurement how sensitive the horn is ? (db at 1 watt 1 meter)

Not sure I still have the stuff for that.....I've moved twice since all my other builds.

I know I can get an FR.....but may need to get newer equipment to get the exact spl 1W/1M. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:25 PM, jwc said:
3 hours ago, Zoef said:

When you have finished would it be possible for you to make a measurement how sensitive the horn is ? (db at 1 watt 1 meter)

Will be here soon.  I will do a slow build.  Great project for my son and I.

The woofers are approximately 94.6db, wired in parallel add +3d add horn gain = 99 -101db@ 1 watt.

But how do they sound?

HB

How loud will these be when you use two delta lfa's?
Talking about spl 1w/1m (2.83v). If i remember correctly you can add 3 db when you use double bass. The drivers are 94.6db if im correct it is 97.6db plus the extra db from the horn/enclosure.

Right?

Well first time i quote my own post [emoji12]
  • Like 1

This is from leonard audio

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/07_horns.html

With no horn the cone movement increases 4 times for each octave decrease.   With a horn the speaker cone movement is reduced to 2.   Efficiency increase is approx 4 times (+6dB).   In theory, power to the speaker can also be doubled (+3dB).   Total advantage is approx +10dB with increased directivity.   Designing for bass horns is always a compromise.   The length of the horn is the most difficult to achieve if the bass horn has to be portable and fit within a given space.   The compromise is to keep to the correct flare rate, and mouth size.   Bass horns should be grouped to obtain the correct mouth size.

JWC, What is the compression ratio.

since you are using a 12 inch woofer, what is the horn opening. 6x6?

I found the cutout on page 1, its 7X7 inches, the surface area of the driver is approximately 11 inches, the compression is nearly 2-1.

• Like 1

Seems to me this bass horn should be very efficient.

The Eminence 15c, which is very similar the k33 is roughly 96db to 400hz. When used in the Lascala the folded horn needs to gain 8db to achieved the reported 104db spl.

The paralleled Delta 12LFA start at 98db, the mini punch horn only need to gain 6.0db to achieved similar performance.

Below is the plot of the 15c

Does anyone know if the folded horns generate higher gain than a straight horn?

15c.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

Does anyone know if the folded horns generate higher gain than a straight horn?

That is a very good question.  I've always wondered that.

Straight horn has the benefit of not dealing with potential anomalies in the FR that "folds" can create.  This is such that a novice like me can "get by" with a first generation of a plan. 

Folded horns are much more difficult.  But yes???  Do they benefit with gain?

10 hours ago, justinsweber said:

I went to re listen to these today... dear god the bass is unreal. Enough so, I bought them from Dave and ordered a set of kits... These are K-Horn killers... way more bass but same speed as a La Scala or K Horn... unreal!

I cant wait to see them when you are done with them.

HB