JWC Bass Horn

justinsweber

11 hours ago, avguytx said:

So if this cabinet is built as a sealed version, it has a little less bass response than the Belle with a single 15" 

You sure about that?  It has dual 12s on a straight horn vs. a folded single 15.  It has the same as a Jub without the folds.  I think that whacks the crap out of Belle.  But I never actually heard them both together.

You sure about that?  It has dual 12s on a straight horn vs. a folded single 15.  It has the same as a Jub without the folds.  I think that whacks the crap out of Belle.  But I never actually heard them both together.

Is it considered a straight horn? Regardless this may be my next horn i purchase and will compare to my Belle and Jamborette.

11 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I meant less LF extension sealed than the Belle I comparison.  I was basing that comment on what was posted on the Fastlane website about the cabinet.  

The Mini Punch was conceived and designed by Dr. James W Cullison.

The Mini Punch is a front loaded 1/4 space bass horn. (optionally ported) 

70-600Hz sealed , or 40-600Hz ported. I prefer the ported version

On 11/3/2016 at 10:15 AM, avguytx said:

I remember the KLF-30's (rear ported) sounded like crap on low end in my living room whereas the front firing ports on my CF-3's shine. It was night and day difference

My thoughts on porting only.....

Not sure I can attest to poor bass quality on speakers ported in back vs front.  Some of the rear or non-front ported high end speakers I've heard on demo by other corps sounded great.  Infact, the Klipsch KG4 had great realistic bass for having a rear radiator which always blew my mind.  Rooms plays a role in this too.

For awhile I had some $25,000 McIntosh XRT1K's that were ported out the top.  There was good quality bass there.  I just wish that speaker had a little better mids.

Bass horns can be ported from the front and even through the horn if wanted.  Bill Fitzmaurice does this on the "Jacks".  

Looking at the horns makes me wish that I had not reduced my collection of 12" drivers:rolleyes:

On the other hand I have modeled the LaScala and other in HornResponse, there horn lenght is critical for where the high pass occurs. The JWC looks really short something like 50cm or so (thats 20" in imperial units) Then the horn should start dropping at 140 Hz or so??

The scientist in me wants to how the horn work to get down to 60 Hz!

As I recall radiation angle affect the needed mouth area not horn length. There is some effect of the end correction that extend the accoustical lenght a bit in a corner compared  free field.

Very nice video and a very nice kit where all the parts snaps together. As I live in Europe shipping a kit would be way to expensive so I will  do my own interpretation if I build the horn, but that does not diminish the joy of looking at the video.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deang said:

Just watched your video. You and Dave are amazing people - so talented. 

Agreed! How long until the next video?  Really, really nice in showing how it goes together, James.

Bruce

9 hours ago, drboar said:

As I recall radiation angle affect the needed mouth area not horn length. There is some effect of the end correction that extend the accoustical lenght a bit in a corner compared  free field.

Very nice video and a very nice kit where all the parts snaps together. As I live in Europe shipping a kit would be way to expensive so I will  do my own interpretation if I build the horn, but that does not diminish the joy of looking at the video.

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/mini-punch-diy-plans..html

You can make this horn from my original plans like my build over 5 years ago.

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

Agreed! How long until the next video?  Really, really nice in showing how it goes together, James.

Bruce

Mostly done really.  Making the back panel now.

I looking to invest in new measuring equipment to put in a third video.

• Like 1

Great video Jim, enjoyed watching your build very much. Thanks for taking the time, greatly appreciated..

I talked to Dave some months back about being interested in a pair of the bass cabinets. I had just started to work on some modular tops that I could drag around and throw on various bass bins. They go with a pair of La Scala bins I am refurbing. But I could easily set them atop a set of the Mini Punch. Veneered in matching Tigerwood of course. ;) Going to put them into service with Bobs' tweeters and K-55M's mounted on Daves' Eliptrac 400 and see how it goes. I have the tweeters on adjustable sliders so I can easily play with physical time alignment with the 400's. I think these would look and work great on top of the Mini Punch.

DSCN2687.JPG

DSCN2688.JPG

DSCN2692.JPG

• Like 2

I have the backs cut.  Just need to install the ports and screw on.  Then done except paint.

Any curves would be in a third video.   I also will expand the FAQ on Fastlane Page.  I can only work on them on weekends....14 hour days this past week.

• Like 2

The second video is up.  There will be a third video that goes beyond the wood construction part of it with woofers and performance.

As time moves on, I'm trying to get all the info of this kit off the forum to videos and FAQ updates on FastlaneAudio.com.  This fun kit isn't a Klipsch replacement or upgrade, but I don't want to appear like I'm promoting some non-Klipsch item.  I hope it is obvious I'm a Klipsch fan.

• Like 3