Is the K-Stack crossover in my Forte IIs creating a bass "hole"?

hawkster

Which crossover option to go with in my Forte IIs  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which crossover option to go with in my Forte IIs

• Stick with the K-Stack
    • Reconnect the stock Klipsch crossovers
    • Install new Bob Crites crossovers

About ten years ago, I bought and installed the K-Stack crossover for my Forte IIs, made by Chris Munson (akaPopbumber ).  I was happy with the improvement in sound I got, and continue to do so.  I do have a concern, though.  I recently got an new Marantz 8802A, and I've been running the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 setup.  Although my KLF-C7 crosses over at 110 kHz my Klipsch surround backs crossover at 120 kHz, and my Klipsch in-ceilings crossover at 60 kHz, Audyssey sets the Forte IIs to 200 kHz, even though they spec much lower.  I got much the same result with my Onkyo 5508 in a different house.  Since my RSW-12 sub maxes out at 120 kHz, it seems to me i'm getting a bass "hole" between 120 and 200.  I would like to know if the K-Stack is creating this situation, but unfortunately Munson seems to have been a brief flash in the pan, so there's no help there.  My options are 1} stick with the K-Stack and not worry about the numbers I'm getting from Audyssey, 2} reconnect the original crossovers, which are still in the speakers but are now 20 years old, 3} buy a pair of Bob Crites crossovers, appealing since his business is quite stable.  Any votes on which way to go?

The K-stack is only a much better version of the original network on custom PCB's with better parts it is not a different design.  The crossover points are the same.  (Stick with it) If you are going to spend any money I would invest in the correct timbre matched speakers right now you have a mish-mash of different series speakers all with different timbre's.  

No wonder Audyssey if having trouble figuring it out.  Get an Academy to replace the Legend series KLF-C7 and that should improve your pans across the front stage.  In-ceilings are a big compromise not much you can do there.  You don't mention what your rear's are but I would hope something from the same series like Quartet's or better yet another pair of Forte' II's.  A compromise would be KG4's or KG2's.

Lastly don't trust a computer alogrythm and an omnidirectional mic to make the final adjusrments for you.  Run it then tune by ear with a db meter.