Club / PA speakers for 2-channel?

onemoretime

I know there are several pro-level designs from Klipsch, Yamaha, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Sunn etc. which folks have adapted for home environments, mostly around home theater, but does anyone use speakers designed for club use in a home 2-channel setting?

Other than size and low WAF appeal, are they giving up anything sonically?

• Moderators

Yes there are quite a few using different versions of the pro speakers for 2 ch. We do, and I can't speak for all those who do, but to me you don't give up anything, you gain alot in my opinion. 

Most of the people who use pro for 2 ch could, and do have other models and choose the pro designs.

They are big and in some cases can be low WAF....depending on the wife.

I know a lot of the older Klipsch pro speakers used the same drivers as their in home counter parts, usually the drivers were crossed over a bit higher for protection and higher output. I personally prefer the pro Heresy, specifically the HIP over any of the in home model Heresy's.

You have to be some what careful when selecting pro speakers as many are not full range and wouldn't sound great in 2 channel without help either in the high end or with bass from a sub, sometimes both.

8 hours ago, onemoretime said:

I know there are several pro-level designs from Klipsch, Yamaha, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Sunn etc. which folks have adapted for home environments, mostly around home theater, but does anyone use speakers designed for club use in a home 2-channel setting?

Other than size and low WAF appeal, are they giving up anything sonically?

WAF approval is not a problem if you build her system first.

Wife got K's with Mono's.

Me, im another story.......as follows,   "Endeavor to persevere."

14191800873_536cba86d8.jpg

They're not very far in the realm of pro speakers, but I use a pair of KP-201s daily and they're my favorite speakers. They're more or less a pair of Heresy 2s with a clipping protection circuit. I think I heard somewhere that they have slightly bigger cabinets, but I don't have any other Heresies to compare.

Since they were made for church installations, a lot of them have oak cabinets, so in good shape they look like any pair of handsome domesticated speakers. You will want to use them with the grilles off, though. I don't know if the pro speakers have thicker meshes or if they're all like that, but on my pair the grilles definitely ate most of the treble, and they sound pretty bad with them on.

• Like 1

I've been pleased enough with my garage KP-250's on top KP-4000.

We now have a self powered Yamaha speaker that you can plug RCA into......sounds great.  Lug it any where and can daisy chain for stereo.   I wish klipsch would have a self powered pro speaker like that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jwc said:

I've been pleased enough with my garage KP-250's on top KP-4000.

I've had that same set up and thought it rocked! Pretty much like the Chorus II's on steroids. Those subs can sure eat up A LOT of power though to get the best out of them. The 250's by themselves are very weak sounding IMO, they really need the throaty mid bass those subs provide to achieve a good, full sound.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, teaman said:

Minermark, your systems never cease to amaze me. If you ever get bored of the "clutter" let me know!

Tim

The EAW Stacks i will let go for $2k, but someone need's to make the drive.

The wife is ok with bringing them in the Den, they will NOT fit through any door.

Doomed to be Mancave/Garage rockers.

• Like 1