Under Ground Theater

bobc910

55 minutes ago, willland said:

Why not?:unsure:

You spend that kind of $$$ to build it, you must equip it "properly";):D

Bill

whats the purpose on having 4 subs in a room that small anyway. if i stacked my sub on top of the other it would vibrate off in less than 5 mins.

10 minutes ago, Budman said:

whats the purpose on having 4 subs in a room that small anyway. if i stacked my sub on top of the other it would vibrate off in less than 5 mins.

My comment was more "tongue in cheek" than any form of criticism.

Hey, 3168ft3 is not that small.:P

Bill

6 hours ago, bobc910 said:

I have not decided on the equipment just yet. At this point, I am using Youthman's theater as a model, but definitely not with 4 subs.

klipsch cinema is what you want. kpt-325 or kpt-904 would be sweet in that room. 325 would be enough though. 

2 hours ago, Budman said:

whats the purpose on having 4 subs in a room that small anyway.

its called having headroom. equals less distortion. kind of like the benefit of horn in a sense.

if i stacked my sub on top of the other it would vibrate off in less than 5 mins.

not heavy enough enclosures.

front wall is like 12 ft wide from what i recall. 4 subs would be a little over kill

depending on listening habits 4 may not be enough. 

if i snuck over there and unplugged 2 of the 4 subs you think anyone would hear a difference.

since mine are all stacked i would only notice a decrease in spl. but it would sound the same. and under normal levels my 4 were plenty. i only did the 8 cause i already had them and they couldn't sit in storage anymore. 

32 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

That's gonna be swee! I see a perfect opportunity to incorporate an IB sub system. :D

i still want to hear an ib setup

5 hours ago, Budman said:

There are way to secure everything behing the screen.  Four subs is not really a problem when you consider the effort going into this HT.  You might as well make it bad azz.

I was using:

L & R - Klipsch Frankenstein RF7  + JBL 2045 + JBL 076 + Lansing 077

Sub - RSW-15

Center - Klipsch Frankenstein C7 + JBL 076 + B&W CC6

Rear - couldn't remember what I had

Sub, L, and R were driven by SAE P500 amp

Center was driven by JBL 6290 amp

Rears were driven by JBL 6260 amp

I plan to use the above sub, L, and R for music only because I am extremely please with the sound. I want to start fresh with the theater; speakers and electronic. My knowledge is very limited and I am still trying to figure things out. Youthman's setup looks pretty awesome. So I figure that is a good starting point.

Audio Equipment-20160904-3.jpg

Audio Equipment-20160904-4.jpg

15 hours ago, Budman said:

whats the purpose on having 4 subs in a room that small anyway.

Four subs on each wall midpoint or corners has been proven to natively provide the smoothest and flattest response for every seat.  Everybody should aim to have four subs for this reason if it is feasible.  Anything less will have spikes and dips in the frequency response, which will change if you change seats.  

Also four or more is about the only way you're going to get subsonics in your room.  Want to feel the room shake at single digit frequencies?  Good luck with only one or two normal subs.  

2 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Four subs on each wall midpoint or corners has been proven to natively provide the smoothest and flattest response for every seat.  Everybody should aim to have four subs for this reason if it is feasible.  

I was just about to post the exact same thing.  Midway gives the flattest response in the largest area.  Corners are almost as good and will give slightly more output.

You can never have too much bass!  I have a 22' x 16' room and I have 4 subwoofers and 5 Cornwalls.  One of the subs runs off the center channel output of my Fisher 500b for bass re-enforcement in pure two channel mode (also active all the time even for movies, TV, gaming, etc) and the other 3 act as the LFE channel for everything else.  I think it sounds perfect :)

I can't wait to see how your build turns out!

Laters,

Jeff