New House Build Theater Room

trestlesbuddy

Hello,

New here and looking for advice.  My family is building a new home and we are going to put a home theater in it.  We are thinking of putting some money into the behind the wall stuff for now.  When the house is done start off lower on the cost side of things and build it us as budget allows over time.

We are looking at setting it up for 7.2.4 Atmos Dolby sound.  Room will be used for movies and maybe sports/tv during parties.

The room is 13 feet wide and 20.5 feet long and 9.75 foot ceilings for the most part.  We are having two risers built in the back to lift couches/seating.

Wanted to see if the 7 speakers and 4 ceiling speakers people think is too much for a room that size?  If so would you get rid of the rear speakers, ceiling speakers, one set of ceiling, or rear and ceiling?

What speaker/sub combination would everyone recommend.

We had Klipsch 5.1 in an old house and we loved it so I would like to go with Klipsch again.  I don't have a recieiver or anything picked out yet.  Like I said some of the room might get pieced together as we move into the house and over time.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Patrick,

Welcome to the forum.

Love your ambition and without a doubt you have come to the right place for advice.  Now with advice, you must sift through it and decide what is best for YOU(and family).  Plenty of very knowledgeable folks on this forum that will chime in and help you accomplish your goal.  A word of caution, they(we) love to spend your hard earned $$$.;):D

One thing I will say is that 7.2.4 is not too much for your room.

Bill

Welcome. I agree with Bill. 7.2.4 isn't too much. What budget are you working with for speakers? What will you be powering them with. All that needs to be known for us to make reccomendations. You mention behind the wall speakers? Are you meaning building a false wall where all front speakers and subs will be hidden? If so that makes speaker choices FOR ME very different. As you don't have to pay for looks. You can pay for performance only in that regard. 

11 hours ago, trestlesbuddy said:

The room is 13 feet wide and 20.5 feet long and 9.75 foot ceilings for the most part.  We are having two risers built in the back to lift couches/seating.

Wanted to see if the 7 speakers and 4 ceiling speakers people think is too much for a room that size?  If so would you get rid of the rear speakers, ceiling speakers, one set of ceiling, or rear and ceiling?

4 channel Atmos is a must so no overkill there.  If you are going long ways with the screen on the short wall, 7 channel isn't overkill there either.  

The only issue in my opinion is that if you did like I did and had the screen on the long wall and your seats are near the other long wall, rear 7.1 surrounds tend to do more harm than good in my opinion.  You want some space between you and those.  

7.2.4 is the way to go. Wire for it, or more, up front so you don't have to retro fit later.

I bought an Anthem 1120 that runs my system and has the Dolby atmos you're looking for. 

I went with in wall/ceiling speakers because my room is about 12 wide by 19 deep and wanted max space for screen and seating without sitting on a speaker. Check out the threads here and you'll see all sorts of options.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for my delay. Life got me a bit for the last little bit. 

I do not have a theater room budget. I know that is the wrong way to build this out but the reason I don't have a budget is that not everything has to be done up front. I have an old projector that I am going to use day one. I am ok starting with 3 or 5 speakers if I need to. So I have a lot of flexibility. I know my question has not right answer but I guess I am looking for input based on what is the best value in everyone's opinion. 

The room is going to be wired for 7 speakers, 3 front, 2 side, 2 rear. Then it will be wired for 4 over head. The room is going to have 2 rows of seats. One set of ceiling speakers will be in front of the front row with the other behind the back row. 

I am looking for input in the ultimate set up to get to. Again I might only start with a few speakers and it might take time to get to that ultimate set up. But given the rooms size what is the pairing of speakers that everyone would recommend? 

The room is only going to be used for watching movies and the occasional live sports event 

On September 9, 2016 at 11:33 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

4 channel Atmos is a must so no overkill there.  If you are going long ways with the screen on the short wall, 7 channel isn't overkill there either.  

The only issue in my opinion is that if you did like I did and had the screen on the long wall and your seats are near the other long wall, rear 7.1 surrounds tend to do more harm than good in my opinion.  You want some space between you and those.  

We plan to put the screen on the short walk so we can get more distance back from it. Screen will be on the wall that is 13 wide and seating will be about 13 and 18 feet away. 

On September 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Scrappydue said:

Welcome. I agree with Bill. 7.2.4 isn't too much. What budget are you working with for speakers? What will you be powering them with. All that needs to be known for us to make reccomendations. You mention behind the wall speakers? Are you meaning building a false wall where all front speakers and subs will be hidden? If so that makes speaker choices FOR ME very different. As you don't have to pay for looks. You can pay for performance only in that regard. 

All my speakers will be visible. Plan is to put the front 3 with the front left and right to the sides of the screen and center below the screen. I will hang the side speakers on the walls to the left and right between the two rows of seating. The rears will be on the back wall behind the last row of seats. For ceiling speakers I was thinking flush mounted to the ceiling speakers. 

On September 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

That would depend on what kind of budget you had and whether you have an acoustically transparent screen.  

Screen has not been purchased yet. Was planning something flush agains the wall but again has not been purchased. 

I am curious what someone thinks is the best value option. So if there is a set up for $10k that you think given my application I won't notice the difference spending $15k then I would pick the $10k set up. 

Did you say you have a projector?  If so, or if you can buy one, strongly consider an acoustically transparent screen, like the Seymour (Google them -- they are very cooperative).   That way you can have the front 3 channel speakers behind the screen, with the center at the same height as the L & R, and the sub back there as well.  If your new AVR or pre-pro has Audyssey it will fully compensate for the treble attenuation the screen fabric causes (which isn't much with Seymour).  If you opt for a 2.35:1, your Panavision, CinemaScope, Technirama, and 2.35:1 / 2.40:1 Super 35 movies will be larger and more immersive than your 1.85 ones, just as the filmmakers intended.  We have a 130 inch (width, not diagonal) Seymour AT screen, and we view it from 12 feet away.  The image is incredibly detailed, and the screen fabric weave doesn't show. 

7 hours ago, garyrc said:

Did you say you have a projector?  If so, or if you can buy one, strongly consider an acoustically transparent screen, like the Seymour (Google them -- they are very cooperative).   That way you can have the front 3 channel speakers behind the screen, with the center at the same height as the L & R, and the sub back there as well.  If your new AVR or pre-pro has Audyssey it will fully compensate for the treble attenuation the screen fabric causes (which isn't much with Seymour).  If you opt for a 2.35:1, your Panavision, CinemaScope, Technirama, and 2.35:1 / 2.40:1 Super 35 movies will be larger and more immersive than your 1.85 ones, just as the filmmakers intended.  We have a 130 inch (width, not diagonal) Seymour AT screen, and we view it from 12 feet away.  The image is incredibly detailed, and the screen fabric weave doesn't show. 

Thank you for the information. I have a low end projector that will have to be up graded in the long run but I was going to use to start the theater when we move in. I will do some research on Seymour but I greatly appreciate the information. Thank you 

10 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

That's what I was gonna suggest as well. Three identical speakers across the front cannot be beat. It's perfect in every way. A horizontal center is full of compromises to be used that way. Not that it's horrible it's just not as good. 

Would you mind expanding to the speaker you would recommend having 3 times across the front?

what would you pair it with for surrounds and rears and ceilings?

10 hours ago, trestlesbuddy said:

Would you mind expanding to the speaker you would recommend having 3 times across the front?

what would you pair it with for surrounds and rears and ceilings?

i can. however i know you said budget isn't important because you can do this over time. however without knowing WHAT you are expecting from this setup and what you can do so for 5.1 to start its hard for me to recommend. 

for instance my room is CLOSE to the same as yours mine is 12x23. so i have a tad more depth to work with. so your false wall would need to be shallower than mine or if it was the same you would have to have closer seating to screen which would be fine in all reality and back row might be against the back wall? you can click on my home theater build thread to see my build in my signature below. 

as far as speaker choices go, from the reference you could do three towers across the front. problem is have with the reference is you are paying for a nice looking cabinet as part of the cost. also most models are DEEP and rear ported which means front wall has to be deeper cutting into the room more. 

Now onto what everyone here knows I'm gonna recommend. the cinema series. specifically the kpt-325. its only 12.25" deep and FRONT ported which means it can be very close to the wall. you get a pro 15" woofer that will have very punch bass. you also the get the fabulous 510 horn with the B&c DE-750 on it. its a 300$ tweeter alone. it is fantastic. I've owned a ton of klipsch. a ton of reference, all of the reference premiere, the thx ultra 2, a few heritage models, and the palladium set. the cinema is the best of the bunch. and the huge bonus is you are paying for performance period! In my opinion the cinema are better than the reference rf-7ii in every way except for bass extension (which is fixed with subs) and the kpt-325 can be had for about the same price. 

im gonna shoot you a PM with some additional info. check your messages up in the top right.