Klipsch vs Sennheiser (< 100€ headphones) for a budget audiophile

RJVB

I like to live dangerously so here's a question I probably shouldn't be asking here :)

I'm more or less in the market for a new pair of budget-but-good headphones, primarily for use with my upstairs computer (with an iMic or a Fubar headphone amp). I have an older set of Sennheiser cans (HD 570) that I use with the downstairs HiFi system if not listening through my Klipsch RF52 (MkII) floorstanders. I currently use an early model set of Sennheiser noise-cancelling on-ear headphones (PXC-250) with the computer, which don't really sound too good and give me a nice case of black leatherette dandruff after wearing them.

I've identified a few possible options, sadly without being able to do listening tests (I wouldn't know where in my region).

To start with the competition:

- Sennheiser HD 239; probably my 1st choice but almost impossible to find within my budget here in France
- Sennheiser HD 231/231i; apparently comparable to the HD 239
- Sennheiser HD 205ii; would be a no-brainer given its price if I weren't considering a supra-aural model (easier to put 1 can *next* to an ear when I need to keep an ear out) and there were less remarks about how tight it is.

- Something comparable from Klipsch. Here that basically boils down to an Image One v1 or v2.

I love the sound of my Klipsch speakers, but have a hard time figuring out to what extent I might be disappointed by the sound of the Image One. Too many commenters coming from (or going back to) Beats, which to be painfully honest makes me doubt their credibility a bit...

There are also a lot more comments about breakage and non-replaceable earpads. In short, I'm very tempted to try out a set of Klipsch headphones, but I hate having to return a purchase.

NB: I do own a pair of their S4i in-ear phones which sound quite nice when I manage to seat them correctly (and they stay in place), but the only comparison I have with this kind of headphones are the buds that came with my iPhone and miniDisc walkman. IOW, OneEar might be kind in the land of the Deaf ... And to be honest again, I don't think I can find anything like a Klipsch sound-signature in the S4is that corresponds to the RF52s. If anything the Sennheiser phones have a more comparable sound to my ears.

So I thought I'd ask here. I'm an accomplished amateur violinist and listen mostly to acoustic or "slightly amplified" music: classical/early music, jazz, blues, bluegrass (lots, these days) though I don't shy away from my old soul/funk/disco recordings. Thoughts, (impartial ;)) feedback and advice welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

We slightly modified the first generation Image One and renamed it to R6/R6i On-Ear. It's $79 (without microphone) here in the US and may be right up your alley. Since this is an ongoing model we'll have parts for it for quite a while.

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of Reference  over the ear cans and for the price they smoke the Image Ones which I also own. I also have the R6 buds and they sound decent. Depending on what I'm doing dictates which I use. IDK if I would use any of them for critical listening, but for the price I would say buy the Reference cans, they are comfortable, the sound quality is quite good.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Even though I registered and sent in the proof yet still didn't get the (Promotion number 72661 11/21/216 - 11/28/2016) $20 rebate yet..Still have pictures of the receipt from Newegg and the rebate form. I would recommend the Klipsch Reference on ear over  Sennheiser  for a few reasons.

1) better built

2) More comfortable

3) Clarity is purer

4) less distortion at high volumes

the only downfall is the cord is to short, if you can call it a downfall.