Considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-NR5008 Receiver to a Dolby Atmos Receiver

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm considering selling my Onkyo TX-NR5008 and using the money from it towards a Dolby Atmos Receiver.  I'm not one of those guys that has to have the latest / greatest....as a matter of fact, I would rather buy used or an older model to save some cash since electronics depreciate so quickly.

Not exactly sure how much I can sell my 5008 for.  I'm the second owner.....it was $2700 MSRP. 

There's one on Ebay for $1200, one on Craigslist for $600, and one that sold on Ebay for $530.

Thought about listing it on Craigslist to see if if there is any interest and in the meantime, begin looking into a replacement that wouldn't have me too much out of pocket.

Any thoughts on this Onkyo TX-NR838?

Other suggestions around that price point?

• Moderators

I also thought about selling one pair of my RS-62ii Surrounds Backs to fund the Atmos Speakers since they are so high up, and the back row never hears them (I'm not sure I even hear them in the front row.  I'm a TOTAL noob to Atmos so any advice on (4) in-ceiling speakers would be appreciated.

Are considering in-ceiling speakers or something to mount on the ceiling?  These are not hard to install.  They come with a cutout template and when you screw them in, they will be anchored in place by small arms the come out as you tighten the screws.  I found some of them easier than getting up a good drywall anchor and mounting speakers on the wall.

Make sure there is a pivoting tweeter for in-ceiling.  There are also the Atmos modules that sit on other speakers but, from looking at your room it may not work as easy as in-ceiling.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Are considering in-ceiling speakers or something to mount on the ceiling?

Yes, the plan is to buy (4) in-ceiling speakers and set them up like this...Two in front of the front row and two in between the front row and the back row.

Dolby-Atmos-5-4-1-7-1-4-sideview.jpg?res

9 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Make sure there is a pivoting tweeter for in-ceiling.  There are also the Atmos modules that sit on other speakers but, from looking at your room it may not work as easy as in-ceiling.

Pivoting tweeters would be preferred.  Atmos Modules won't work well for my application due to the speakers being behind the screen.

40 minutes ago, Youthman said:

@willland you've always kept up with receiver models...any suggestions bro?

While I am no expert in the current AVR department especially Atmos equipped models, I do know a little about them.

If I was going to get a new AVR with Atmos and I had the available $$$, I would be looking at Anthem.  Since the new Anthem models are on the higher $$$ end of the AVR spectrum($2499.00 to $3499.00), I would look at the Atmos equipped Yamaha Aventage models.  Most likely from the RX-A2040 on up.  Yamaha's current models are the RX-A##60.

Just to name a few.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa2040bl/yamaha-rx-a2040-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3040bl/yamaha-rx-a3040-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1050bl/yamaha-rx-a1050-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1060bl/yamaha-rx-a1060-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Bill

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, willland said:

Now, if you have been happy with the Onkyo, then I would say get another Onkyo/Integra.

Yes, I've been very pleased with the Onkyo.

12 minutes ago, willland said:

As you know, Onkyo/Integra does not equip their AVR's with Audyssey anymore so you may want to consider that in your selection decision.

I had forgotten about that....Hmmmmm...that's a bummer.

• Moderators

Thanks Scrappy....the 6300 and 6200 are WAY above what I would ever spend on a receiver.  I personally just can't see dropping $2000 on a receiver.  I think the most I've ever spent on a receiver is $400.  The x4200 might be an option after I sell the Onkyo.

My current receiver came from this lot of gear (everything in the photo below except the LaScalas) that I purchased for $1000 in Jan of 2015.  I kept the Onkyo TX-NR5008 and Reese Hitches, gave Wakejunkie the TX-NR1008 and sold the rest.

Klipsch RF52ii
Klipsch RC62ii
Klipsch RW10d
Onkyo TX-NR1008 Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver Onkyo with RC-773M Remote
Onkyo TX-NR5008 Onkyo with RC-771M Remote
Monster HTUPS 3600
Harmony One Remote
Harmony 900 Remote
Harmony 1100 Remote
Logitech Adapter for Playstation
Monster 600SW Subwoofer Cable
8' Monster M2000HD HDMI Cable
(2) 8' Monster Advanced M-Series HDMI Cables
Better Cables Silver Serpent 8000 Series Sub Cable
(3) speaker Cables w/Monster Banana Plugs
Rocketfish RF-HDMI4 4-Way HDMI Switcher

Pinpoint AM40 Speaker Mounts NIB
BTech Ultrafrip Pro Speaker Mounts NIB

Reese Tri Ball Hitch 1-7/8", 2" & 2-5/16"
Reese Hitch with 3/4" Drop and 2" Ball

SLAPPA HardBody PRO Photo Locker

audiolot-small.jpg

Yeah I remember that score. The 4200 and 6200 will be on serious blowouts. Plus I've seen a ton of guys already selling those models to

upgrade to newer ones due to the uhd stuff. Glad I'm not even considering 4K and all that crap cause these dudes are going through gear like its cool trying to stay in compliance it seems like. Lol. We reap the benefits. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Looks like upgrading to Atmos is going to be expensive.

i didn't realize most Atmos receivers need an external amp to power the Atmos Speakers.  

So to upgrade to Atmos, I'll need to buy 4 speakers, a new receiver and a power amp.  Looks like I'll probably hold out for a bit longer.

15 minutes ago, Youthman said:

i didn't realize most Atmos receivers need an external amp to power the Atmos Speakers.  

How many more channels do you need to power?  Amps to drive only Atmos speakers are abundant and cheap.

Here is a nice 5-channel Adcom on the cheap.  I owned one for a while and it was great.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/5766662209.html

2-channel Adcom.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/5708675357.html

Bill

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Looks like upgrading to Atmos is going to be expensive.

So to upgrade to Atmos, I'll need to buy 4 speakers, a new receiver and a power amp.  Looks like I'll probably hold out for a bit longer.

Take a look at the new denon 6300w, it's an 11 channel receiver for 7.2.4. This is brand new so it's expensive, the 6200w can be had for about $1000 less and you just need to get a simple 2 channel amp.

On 9/11/2016 at 7:29 AM, Scrappydue said:

Yeah I remember that score. The 4200 and 6200 will be on serious blowouts. Plus I've seen a ton of guys already selling those models to

upgrade to newer ones due to the uhd stuff. Glad I'm not even considering 4K and all that crap cause these dudes are going through gear like its cool trying to stay in compliance it seems like. Lol. We reap the benefits. 

Hey, Scrappy,

Have a friend who is a prime candidate for a 4200 (or something very similar).  Do you have a feel for if/when they may sell for less than the $640 at A4L?

Also, am interested to know more about your thought about NOT going 4k.  My friend says he wants to be able to enjoy 4k at some point (he does not have a 4k TV presently), but that easily could be years if his current 70" Sharp Acquos continues to perform).  I mean, he loves the picture (1080p) that he has right now.  But will all 4k require HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0?  

If he gets an AVR that can upscale to 1080p, and even HDMI to HDMI upscaling, and all to 4k if he gets such a TV, is that something that I should be advising to think about, or not?  I suspect that I am skipping/missing something here.  It may be that he could be just as well off, or even better off, with a super deal on an AVR that is not 2.2 compliant???

Will appreciate all thoughts!

• Moderators
On 9/13/2016 at 0:28 AM, Scrappydue said:

Youth if your considering selling a set of rs-62ii to go to atmos then you'll be going with a 5.4.4 and you'll be able to run that with no external amp. Only when you do 7.2.4 will you need the extra 2 channels. 

I guess it depends on what receiver....some receivers are only 7 channels.  I would need a 9ch receiver to do 5.4.4.