Chorus IIs powered McIntosh tubes

Scottymac63

Recently bought a new McIntosh 275 2-channel tube amp and currently using my Chorus II's with it. I hear from some that it's not a "good match", but it has made my Chorus IIs sound incredible, better than they ever have... warm deep rich bottom end and has taken the edge off the horns. Demoed a pair of B&W CM-9's with the McIntosh and at lower volumes they had an excellent soundstage and imaging, but sounded flat and muffled at higher levels, espeically when not seated in the sweet spot. Whereas the Chorus II's may have shortened the depth of the soundstage, they had far more high end detail and with the 15" wolfers, obviously had a deeper richer bottom end and filled my 19'x23' room. Any suggestions? Do I pursue new speakers for a "better match" for the tubes or stick with my Chrous II's?

• Like 2

The Chorus speakers are 101 db sensitivity and should work with a tube amp.  The only possible problem is  driving the bass driver.  If it sounds good to you and ample bass, just sit back and enjoy.  I use the RF 7 II's with a 45/80 watt tube amp and there is no shortage of bass.  The Mc amp is 75 watts and should do the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottymac63 said:

Recently bought a new McIntosh 275 2-channel tube amp and currently using my Chorus II's with it. I hear from some that it's not a "good match", but it has made my Chorus IIs sound incredible, better than they ever have... warm deep rich bottom end and has taken the edge off the horns. 

McIntosh amplifiers are designed and engineered to work extremely well with high-efficiency horn-loaded speakers. They are classified as A-A/B because the first few milliwatts/watts they produce are in the class A mode, similar to low power SET amps which many believe are the best match with high-efficiency horn-loaded speakers.  At lower power levels McIntosh amplifiers run very cool and produce no more than .005% THD, averaging just .002%.  They are also very reliable. McIntosh is the perfect compliment to Klipsch speakers, in particular, which also create extremely low levels of heat, have almost no distortion, and are very reliable.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I do know the Chorus II's and the Mc sound like a good match to my ears, especially with a quality source. Do either of you know the rated bass response for the Chorus II's? I have a 12" Velodyne sub and was curious about setting the crossover. Right now it seems the smoothest between 60-80hz. I have also contemplated getting the Klipsch 15" front ported sub as a better match for the Chorus II's. Also, one of the passive raditors needs to be replaced. It appears there is no replacement for it via Klipsch. At least what I can tell searching online.

I am curious as to whether the same can be said about McIntosh SS amps, as compared to their tube amps, and Klipsch speakers.  I have MC 2125's driving my Belles, and a MC2200 driving my Fortes.  The matchups are pleasing to my ears, but I can't say I am a true audiophile.  When posters say one amp is better than another all I can do is try to listen to my system and figure out what I don't like.  I did swich out a Pioneer SA9100 amp for a MC2100 for my Heresies, and thought I gained a fuller sound.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, william.meredith said:

McIntosh amplifiers are designed and engineered to work extremely well with high-efficiency horn-loaded speakers. They are classified as A-A/B because the first few milliwatts/watts they produce are in the class A mode, similar to low power SET amps which many believe are the best match with high-efficiency horn-loaded speakers.  At lower power levels McIntosh amplifiers run very cool and produce no more than .005% THD, averaging just .002%.  They are also very reliable. McIntosh is the perfect compliment to Klipsch speakers, in particular, which also create extremely low levels of heat, have almost no distortion, and are very reliable.   

The Chrous are rate down to around 45 Hz.  A XO of 40 or 50 should be good using a sub.  But, positioning near a wall will add to the bass response.  Experiment is needed for your room.

1 hour ago, luddite said:

I am curious as to whether the same can be said about McIntosh SS amps, as compared to their tube amps, and Klipsch speakers.  I have MC 2125's driving my Belles, and a MC2200 driving my Fortes.  The matchups are pleasing to my ears, but I can't say I am a true audiophile.  When posters say one amp is better than another all I can do is try to listen to my system and figure out what I don't like.  I did swich out a Pioneer SA9100 amp for a MC2100 for my Heresies, and thought I gained a fuller sound.  

No problems using a SS McIntosh amp.

1 hour ago, luddite said:

I am curious as to whether the same can be said about McIntosh SS amps, as compared to their tube amps, and Klipsch speakers.  

The same can be said of both tube and SS McIntosh amplifiers. McIntosh SS amplifiers actually operate cooler and with less distortion than their tube counterparts. Another advantage with McIntosh amplifiers is their use of autoformers in the output stage, they are the only manufacturer that uses autoformers. Speakers can operate at different impedance levels based on frequency range. Speakers that dip down to 4ohms or less can put a big strain on many amplifiers resulting in heat build-up, added distortion, and even clipping.  With McIntosh amplifiers you get full rated power and same performance standards at all impedance levels.  This ensures that your Klipsch speakers are never damaged and that they provide a consistent sound quality.

• Like 1

A bit off topic... I'm currently using a Marantz 7009 a/v receiver as the preamp for the MC 275. I know it's not ideal, but was hoping to get away with it and not have to buy a seperate 2-channel preamp and additional sub for now. The Marantz does a excellent job with surround and I can set up the MC amp and Chorus II's as a 2-channel system within the Marantz, assigning the Choruses as a "B" set of mains strickley for 2-channel. Unfortunately when I hook up the hdmi montiter out on the Marantz to my led tv and have the MC powered up there is some type of grounding hum coming through the speakers. If the tv has no video connections the hum is gone. With each connection of other video sources to the tv the layer of hums grow louder. I thought there might be a grounding issue with my Vizo LED, but even tried a different tv with the same results. I also have everything running on the same circut and through a current conditoner. It appears I may have to buy an actual 2-channel preamp and an additional sub if I want to use the McIntosh in my audio/video system. The alternative is to have the Marantz amplify the Choruses and that just doesn't sound near as warm and full. Any suggestions anyone?

• Like 1

The Chorus II are rated down to 39hz-- I've had good luck crossing a sub over at 45-50hz, much higher than that and I can tell where the extra bass is coming from which is really annoying to me. I've had good luck with the EL-84 based tube amps, good clean full sound with tight bass and sparkly highs. The EL-34 tube amps I tried had flappy bass and a loss of highs although the mids were full bloom and incredible.

• Like 1

As for the hum, yes there is a Directv box and it does add a hum, as well as every other video source connected to the tv. The loudest hum is coming from the dvi connection to the computer. The lowest hum comes from the coaxial connection to the hd atenna. The only way to completely eliminate any and all hum is to have absoulety nothing connected to the tv other than the Marantz or not have the MC amp powered on. There must be some grounding issue with the MC and video sources, or perhaps with the Marantz video board. I have a replacement Marantz receiver replacement I'm picking up Weds. Due to a cosmetic defect. I recently bought the Marantz and McIntosh. I thought I cleverly put together a hybrid 2-channel/surround system, but maybe I'm trying to do too much. It would work with the MC amp out of the equation, but I love the tube warmth.

I use my Pioneer SC 99 as a preamp.  The Aucurus 200 Five is the HT amp and the Yaquin MC 13S is for 2 channel.  Both amps use the RF 7 II's via an amp switcher.  I would not give up the Mc unless you think it sounds bad.  The Chorus will have plenty of bass for most music even without a sub.  Half the time I run my 2 ch on the RF 7's without turning on the subs and the speaker are XO at 100 Hz.  The speaker still have ample bass.

10 hours ago, Scottymac63 said:

Well, I can still return the MC and give up my dream amp or fork out another few k's for a preamp and sub and have an idpenendt 2-channel sysytem. Had my eye on the NAD M12 preamp. 

If it were me, and with your apparent budget limitation, I would exchange the MC275 for a MA6700 integrated amp. This way you get the latest generation high power McIntosh amp and pre-amp in one package which would include a high-quality DAC, a phono section with both MC and MM capability, and the company's latest head phone amp design. The other brands you mention are not in the same league as McIntosh.

Yes, the 6700 does sound like a possible solution and would actually be less money than pieces the the 275 with a quality preamp. Did have my heart set on tubes, but open to sticking with a ss amp if I can get the warmth that tubes bring in a McIntosh ss amp. I will definitely look into it. The 6700 also has a "home theater pass through", that has me intrigued.

33 minutes ago, Scottymac63 said:

Did have my heart set on tubes, but open to sticking with a ss amp if I can get the warmth that tubes bring in a McIntosh ss amp. 

You would not be disappointed with the sound of the MA6700. A fact often overlooked with McIntosh is that they design their tube and solid state amps to sound the same. The MC275 is a beautiful tube amp but it is not as powerful and reliable as a solid state amp. Because Klipsch speakers are very efficient and sensitive, the higher the signal-to-noise ratio of the amp the better. Solid state wins hands-down.