HELP NEEDED

• Moderators

Attention Forum Members!

John Simmons was arrested in 1977 for wearing the original BS t-shirt.  He is “down on his luck” these days, and would like to have one of the shirts again (I think the cops kept his!).  Klipsch plans to do a human interest story on him soon, so there will be more to come.

I know they’re collectible, but if anyone would like to donate an original XL shirt in good condition, please respond to this post.  Your name will be included in the story.  If an original is not forthcoming, I know that Valerie Klipsch put out a reproduction that would suffice. 

The necktie was given out by Ms. Valerie at the first pilgrimage.

As I recall the bunch of us were in the big auditorium at the plant where the Jubilee (and a Belle center) were demonstrated.  Ms. Valerie was near the entrance to the auditorium at the back which must have been near the front office.

She was talking to someone saying, "We have to give these good people something."  Apparently someone in the office mentioned the cost.  Ms. Valerie said, in anger, "Send the bill to Fred [Klipsch, the new owner].  Again IIRC.

Later there was a photo-op with PKW.  My avatar shows me wearing the tie while PWK extended his hand.

I can only imagine these were not the common promotional hand-out. 

As you can see, the front of the tie has a pattern of midrange horns with the PWK crest at the bottom.  Turn over the bottom and we see his famous expression.

I could be persuaded to donate it to the museum if such things are needed.

WMcD

PWK Necktie - Both Sides.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, WMcD said:

The necktie was given out by Ms. Valerie at the first pilgrimage.

As I recall the bunch of us were in the big auditorium at the plant where the Jubilee (and a Belle center) were demonstrated.  Ms. Valerie was near the entrance to the auditorium at the back which must have been near the front office.

She was talking to someone saying, "We have to give these good people something."  Apparently someone in the office mentioned the cost.  Ms. Valerie said, in anger, "Send the bill to Fred [Klipsch, the new owner].  Again IIRC.

Later there was a photo-op with PKW.  My avatar shows me wearing the tie while PWK extended his hand.

I can only imagine these were not the common promotional hand-out. 

As you can see, the front of the tie has a pattern of midrange horns with the PWK crest at the bottom.  Turn over the bottom and we see his famous expression.

I could be persuaded to donate it to the museum if such things are needed.

WMcD

PWK Necktie - Both Sides.jpg

@WMcD I'm going to ask Jim about this.  Thank you!!!

Sorry that the subject of the tread has wandered from BS tee-shirts to BS ties at the first pilgrimage.  And then possible donations to the museum of memorabilia from the first pilgrimage.  To the extern I've hijacked, please excuse me. Though the original post is in the museum section.

But while we're here.  I could donate my laser engraved . . . I don't know what to call it . . . paperweight gift.  It is about four inches in diameter.  Quite pretty. 

The first pilgrimage was by invitation.  The forum was fairly new and several members were invited in private communications.  My guess is that a handful of the true believers were invited (I blush that I was considered to be one) maybe because Ms. Valerie wanted it that way.  Several of PWK's friends were present too.

paperweight.JPG

I'll make another suggestion for the museum.  You'll need some wall hangings. 

This is my only version of a photograph published in a Hope, or Hempstead County newspaper.  The original was small also. with a crease

Shortly after the event I wrote to the newspaper -- I don't recall the name -- and asked for a good print (at my expense, of course).  There was no response.

Maybe the name Klipsch will have some influence at the newspaper and some version is in their morgue . . . or the photographer has the negative still.

On-line Community.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I missed the rest of the post.  The necktie would be a welcome donation, but it is not that rare.  It was designed by Judy Klipsch and I suspect several 1000 were made.  I have several.  The paperweight is undoubtedly very rare.  It would be a most appreciated donation.  However, please hold on until we have finished our gift acceptance policy (in draft).  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Christy:  Any luck finding a xl t-shirt?  I have an original in used condition (comes with LaScala glue as I wore it as a work shirt in my scallywaggin days).  It's a large and is snug on me after shrinking.  I remember the story of the arrest in 1977 as told by the K&A sales rep living in Fayetteville working southwest US.  Sorry I didn't keep one in unused condition but maybe the wear and tear on this one will provide authenticity and prove acceptable?  Larry

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 1:21 PM, JRH said:

Sorry I missed the rest of the post.  The necktie would be a welcome donation, but it is not that rare.  It was designed by Judy Klipsch and I suspect several 1000 were made.  I have several.  The paperweight is undoubtedly very rare.  It would be a most appreciated donation.  However, please hold on until we have finished our gift acceptance policy (in draft).  Thanks!

Is there a pic of the paperweight?

Larry,

The picture with the blue background is what I've called the paperweight.  On the way back from the pilgrimage I was at the Little Rock airport and put it on the arm of a chair and took a quick picture.  I'll have to get out a camera and get a more representative picture, soon.

I owe Larry an apology.  He asked me for my thoughts on the effect of Murphy's Oil Soap on tannins in wood and I promised to get back to him.  I haven't.  I bought some of the stuff and would like to test on different varieties of wood and maybe try Barkeepers Friend (oxalic acid).  We'll, as usual, I've made a small project into a big project ("trying to do too good a job") and other chores (office work and family) put it on the back burner.

Sorry,

WMcD 

• Like 1

Thanks about the "paperweight."

The most telling thing about using the "soap" on my veneer is that it removed the previously interesting "chatoyence" or "cat's-eye" characteristic of the grain in which it appears to change appearance or reflectivity of parts of  the grain with the direction of the light.  I still intend to find somebody to refinish the existing veneer to see if that could be restored.  I did have a so-called "restorer" work on them with mineral spirits, which only darkened the old lacquer veneer tremendously.  It's taken about 2-3 years for a lot of the color to come back, but the chatoyence never has.

I'm told that kitchen cabinet-makers swear by the Murphy's.  Dunno why, but obviously not the same as fine veneer.

• 2 weeks later...

It is difficult to tell where to post.  But with the paperweight and tie we're getting into donations to the museum. Perhaps photos of the first pilgrimage could be used?

That is John Albright on the left and I don't recall the names of the two gentlemen in the center. Maybe the second one was a peace officer from Colorado?

Edit:  Thinking more:  They might both be peace officers and both speak Spanish based on just a snippet of a conversation.

DrPaulA.gif

And. The man with the necktie (edit, and sweater) might have been the director of the Hope Chamber of Commerce.  He gave a very very funny presentation the night before.  (My thought was that he made Trey the second most humorous man in Hope.)  And of course that is Valerie making a speech and . . . is the gentleman (edit, to the left of him in the picture)  is recording it (edit: on a cassette machine -- is that tape anywhere around)?

Edit, The man in the background and left in the picture of Ms. Valerie is wearing a PWK tie, perhaps..

MsValerie.gif