What would you buy next?

AccessDenied

You've got $500.

You currently have a 2.0 channel using RB-35s as the mains running from a VSX822 receiver.

You want better music audio - wife wants better movie audio.
Needs to be a single system for both.

What do you purchase next?

A sub?

Center?

Mains?

New receiver?

The room is roughly 15'x20' if that matters...

Try to be specific!
I'm most certainly a novice when it comes to this stuff...

Okay,

A pair of HI's or HII's($300 to $400) and running off zone 2 for stereo music and an RC-35($100 to $200) to please your bride.  Save another $500.00 for a sub.

Or

RC-35 and cheaper sub to satisfy her HT LFE desires.

Or

A $500 sub to cover both HT and music.

Bill

• Like 2

• Moderators

Man, great scenario.  This should be fun for everyone and I'm sure you will get a gamut of different responses.  As Willland often says, gather info and opinions but then ultimately, it's up to you to decide which is best for YOUR setup.

Here is my opinion.....Mains, then Sub, then Center, then Receiver.

Sub - I personally think a sub is great for 2ch but crucial to Home Theater.  Deals can be had on Craigslist.  Klipsch RSW-15, RSW-12, RW-12, RW-12d, Velodyne HGS15) all would provide good amount of bass for your size room.  I've owned all of those subs and found each one of them within your budget.

Center - It's essential for movies but doesn't help for 2ch so I would say no at this time.  Down the road, absolutely.

Mains - I've owned the RB-35's.  They are OK speakers.  They sound similar to RB-81's which also are OK.  If you can upgrade to floor standing speakers (RF-82, Rf-7, RF-5 etc) would be a very nice upgrade from the RB-35 for both music and movies.  I've owned RF-7 and RF-5 (within your budget) and have heard the RF-82's.

If you must stay with bookshefl speakers here are my thoughts.  Although I haven't done A/B comparison, I have always loved the sound of the RB-61's.  They are fantastic sounding speakers.  The RB-75 are amazing but they will be well above your budget unless you can find them at a steal.

Receiver - Although important, it's not going to take your system to the next level like upgrading your mains or sub.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

Try to be specific!

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

Man, great scenario.  This should be fun for everyone and I'm sure you will get a gamut of different responses.  As Willland often says, gather info and opinions but then ultimately, it's up to you to decide which is best for YOUR setup.

Sub - I personally think a sub is great for 2ch but crucial to Home Theater.  Deals can be had on Craigslist.  RSW-15, RSW-12, RW-12, RW-12d, Velodyne HGS15) all would provide good amount of bass for your size room.

Center - It's essential for movies but doesn't help for 2ch so I would say no at this time.  Down the road, absolutely.

Mains - I've owned the RB-35's.  They are OK speakers.  They sound similar to RB-81's which also are OK.  If you can upgrade to floorstanding speakers (RF-82, RF-5 etc) would be a very nice upgrade from the RB-35 for both music and movies.  If you must stay with bookshefl speakers here are my thoughts.  Although I haven't done A/B comparison, I have always loved the sound of the RB-61's.  They are fantastic sounding speakers.  The RB-75 are amazing but they will be well above your budget unless you can find them at a steal.

Receiver - Although important, it's not going to take your system to the next level like upgrading your mains or sub.

Looks like Youthman pretty much covered the "be specific" part.;):P

Bill

8 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Sub - I personally think a sub is great for 2ch but crucial to Home Theater.  Deals can be had on Craigslist.  RSW-15, RSW-12, RW-12, RW-12d, Velodyne HGS15) all would provide good amount of bass for your size room.

Mains - I've owned the RB-35's.  They are OK speakers.  They sound similar to RB-81's which also are OK.  If you can upgrade to floorstanding speakers (RF-82, RF-5 etc) would be a very nice upgrade from the RB-35 for both music and movies.  If you must stay with bookshefl speakers here are my thoughts.  Although I haven't done A/B comparison, I have always loved the sound of the RB-61's.  They are fantastic sounding speakers.  The RB-75 are amazing but they will be well above your budget unless you can find them at a steal.

Wow, this is great!

Thank you!

• Moderators

Keep an eye out on a pair of RF-7's.  They can be found within your budget.  They will blow you away!  Only current reasonable pair I found nationwide are these with DeanG crossovers for $600.  If you found a pair locally for $600, I would not hesitate to do whatever you could to stretch your budget (sell some stuff you don't use).  I paid $400 for my son's RF-7's.

7 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I used searchtempest to search for Klipsch within a 100 mile radius of you.  The only Klipsch items I found local that I would recommend to you was an RSW-15 for $850.  It would rock your world but it would exceed your budget - Link  

Yeah that's a bit much right now...
Especially if they are only to pair with the RB-35s I have!

3 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Keep an eye out on a pair of RF-7's.  They can be found within your budget.  They will blow you away!  Only current reasonable pair I found nationwide are these with DeanG crossovers for $600.  If you found a pair locally for $600, I would not hesitate to do whatever you could to stretch your budget (sell some stuff you don't use).  I paid $400 for my son's RF-7's.

woooow

I'd love to get a pair of these... Always just assumed they were out of my price range.

$400?!

That's a dream...

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Considering where you live, I say forget the audio, spend all of your money on blue crabs and beer.....

crabs and beer.jpg

Haha oh there's plenty of that...
Wife works at a brewery in our town, and our good friends own a crab shack.

In fact, we just had a crab feast a few days ago with good local beer, great crabs and even better people.

Now, if only I had an audio system to compliment the next feast we have! ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

woooow

I'd love to get a pair of these... Always just assumed they were out of my price range.

$400?!

That's a dream...

I guess you can say I've had many good dreams over the years building my system.  :D  Probably helps that I live in Florida. 

The best deal of my life was this system.  See...dreams do come true.

36 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I added a few more specifics to my suggestions above for floorstanding speakers.

Here! I'll throw in a wrench...

My dad just told me he has a pair of Bose 701 floorstanding speakers for me when I move into the new house.

I really don't like Bose, and I wouldn't want to sell my dad's speakers.

These could work temporarily though while I save up for some RF-7s.

Thoughts on the Bose 701s with the Klipsch RB-35s?

Would I move the RB-35s as rears?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

I kind of hate you right now...

No need for that.  LOL  I share not to brag, but to encourage that there are awesome deals to be found.  A few years ago I texted about a pair of Klipschorns on Craigslist for $200.  I was second in line....guy beat me by 20 minutes.

If you want to find awesome deals, here is what has worked for me:

1)  Install a Craigslist App that notifies you whenever "Klipsch" is posted.

2)  Have cash on hand and pre-approved by the wife to spend.

3)  Continually watching Craigslist apart from the app.  The app has a delay when it sends you an update on a new listing.

4)  Be Patient.  That huge deal didn't come until 6 years after I started my audio journey. 

• Like 2

What I would do is try to get a basic 5 channel system going that you can expand on later.  Move your current bookshelves to the rear and try to get 3 LCR's, like a center and bookshelves of a decent quality.  Receivers are a dime a dozen and outdate too quickly.  You can always add a sub later.  For movies though you need 5 channels, especially a center.  

• Like 1