aa crossover caps

chrisreiffel

On 9/16/2016 at 7:57 AM, wdecho said:

... You could certainly spend a lot more that probably would not sound as good. I have built X-overs with motor run caps and was very satisfied with the sound vs polypropylene. 

Those capacitors are polypropylene, just like their dry/axial wound products. I'm not saying not to try them - the oil is a plus - though I've never been able to find a satisfactory answer as to why that is (in crossover use). 

I lean towards real film caps as opposed to metalized in my personal and higher end builds. 

• Like 1

William, with respect, while a capacitor "good enough" for a washing machine (or furnace or ceiling fan) might be good enough for DC applications in an amplifier - this shouldn't be confused with use as AC coupling caps or in crossovers (also AC). 

Why are people happy with "good enough"?  

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

Probably because motor run caps are quality made film caps for industrial use and not a hobby item. They are made to work in very high voltages without breaking down for years in an outside environment. Many technicians consider the hobby grade oil caps motor run caps in a fancy dress. They are probably metalized polypropylene, not absolutely sure, but there has to be much more metal attached to the poly in an industrial use application vs a hobby product. What this means is plenty of meat on the bone.  

Please give me an example of a "hobbyist capacitor", or "hobby grade" capacitor. 

The higher the working voltage, the thicker the metalized layer (whether separate or by adhesion). A higher working voltage does not guarantee better sound quality. 

You get what you pay for.

15 hours ago, wdecho said:

A coupling cap stops DC and lets the AC signal pass in tube

Lol. That was my point. I've seen motor runs used in power supply builds, but not as coupling caps. 

There are only a few manufacturers of capacitors in the country - they build to spec. There is no such thing as a "hobbyist capacitor" - there are only capacitor types, built to the specifications of the vendor. 

It's obvious that you've never heard any of the parts you're criticizing. 

Since you can't figure out how to discuss anything without insults and a condescending attitude - I've decided not to engage you further. 

• Like 1

Hi thanks for all your replies.

is there any particular caps i should be looking at.

Suggestions on the best way to make up 13 mfd would be helpful. and 2mfd. I'm having trouble finding anything.

i just want to know what brand and values.

At this point i only have the old crossover with dried caps so no reference point. i just got the horns last week.

At the moment i am using my DYNACO mk 3s

22 hours ago, chrisreiffel said:

Suggestions on the best way to make up 13 mfd would be helpful. and 2mfd. I'm having trouble finding anything.

i just want to know what brand and values.

Don't see anything about budget in there, just brands and values.  Best I can tell he's simply having trouble finding what he needs, period, price having nothing to do with it.  He also mentioned he just wants to get up and running and might experiment later. 

I haven't run the values he's after, but suspect there are plenty in a variety of price ranges.  He can sort that out on his own.  Just my take on it...

Dave

Erse has one of their PulseX caps (400v) in 13uF and also the needed 2uF - I'm not sure how they rank vs other caps in Klipsch duty.  How do polyester fare?   13uF 400 volt PulseX  http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX400v/MPX40-03-13-0   

I'm wondering if I should have ordered an IXQ 4mH instead of SuperQ 4mH to try the AK3 lowpass.   IXQ would probably have less distortion, SuperQ 14ga, less insertion loss (~0.15 vs 0.3 ohm)  SuperQ is easier to mount as regular steel screws can be used in its feet.

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Why, Dean?  The guy just wants to know available brands and values. 

Dave

It seems like a perfectly legitimate question.  Everybody has a budget, and if the OP's budget is a hundred bucks then there is no need to list the $500 and up, caps.

• Like 2