KLF-30's bass sucks

teaman

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/48005/xpa5-umc200-klipsch-more?page=1&scrollTo=844806

Anybody want to pop over to the Emotiva forum and help this fellow out?

He has a nice set up with a pair of KLF-30's as his front mains. He says the speakers are extremely underwhelming in the bass department....obviously that should not be the case. 

Much appreciated, Tim

Hey Thank you for posting this.

I feel as if I have beat this horse to death, to the point I am losing interest in this set up. Please don't offer to take them off my hands, or other various comments I've received. I REALLY want this set up to work.

Running New Emotiva XPA5, New UMC200, KLF30 mains, KLF C7 center and RB10's as my surrounds, Sub is Dynaudio300. Originally I had this set up by an audiophile who ran EMO-Q and called it good. Well, it's been relatively boring. When I heard the KLF30's auditioned originally on an older Rotel, he had them bi-amped and they boomed. Walls shook, etc. Since I've had them set up, now in 2 different homes, they are crystal clear, but no bass. When I say "no bass", I don't mean, absolutely 100% flat, I mean, it is very very subtle, almost undetectable to the point where I pull the covers off and feel the woofers to make sure they are working.

I've made sure they are not out of phase, I have used a 9v battery to check the woofers to make sure they move, I have had them close to the wall and far away. Unchanged.

Several people state that they have similar components, even KLF20's and they boom their entire house. Something seems to be wrong. I have ran EMO-Q, ran flat, ran direct, removed everything except the mains...still nothing but boring. The only bass response worth noting is the sub. Which that is an uneven match for the Klipsch components I am using.

It seems as if there is something in the set up that simply isn't allowing me to get enough juice into these mains to get them to work. I'd think however that the power supply I am using should be ample. I have tried this with a Denon AVR4311 and my UMC200... no difference. I have to have this system turned way up, nearly up all the way to the point that it's painful. Still, bass response is nearly nil.

I know for many of you, chasing these audio gremlins is a lot of fun. Me on the other hand, I could REALLY use some help. Is there ANYONE near zip code 98226 that can help me?

Please

Thank you

Corey

• Like 1

Listing your zip code was nice to see if anyone is in the area.  The KLF 30's don't have punchy bass like the KLF 20's or RF 7's.  Their bass is a bit more subtle.  What type of spl readings do you get for the bass?  Wall proximity is very important for the bass response in the room also.  It is just hard to help based on what I've read.

I was visiting my brother over the Laborday weekend and there was absolutely no shortage of bass from his 30's. Punchy bass? I'm not sure, subwoofer like is how I'd describe it. He runs his with a Sunfire TGP-III processor and a Carver TFM-45 amplifier. He is very happy with it all and for good reason.

20160904_223258 (720x1280).jpg

Don't know Emotiva processor at all but to me sounds like something has set speakers to small and crossers them

high? Maybe 100hz or higher? Find speaker setting. Change to large. Change sub to know for the moment. See if that changes anything? If emo won't do it hook denon back up and do the settings I just described on that. I know denon setting very well. 

If I wasn't working so much right now I'd offer to come up and take a look, maybe in a few weeks when work slows a bit? I can offer to bring some of my own gear like a preamp / amplifier combo that way we could try using your stuff first and swap each piece one by one to see if we can narrow down the problem. I know for a fact my Sunfire gear will get those babies pumping! PM me your contact info and like I said in a few weeks when I get a little time we can plan a jam session?

Jesse

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thrasher said:

When I heard the KLF30's auditioned originally on an older Rotel, he had them bi-amped and they boomed. Walls shook, etc.

I have tried this with a Denon AVR4311 and my UMC200... no difference. I have to have this system turned way up, nearly up all the way to the point that it's painful. Still, bass response is nearly nil.

Since you mentioned they were originally bi-amped and that you've tried both the UMC200 and the AVR4311 with no improvement...

Is there a possible problem with the jumpers connecting the LF and HF banana plugs? Were they reinstalled correctly? Are they tight, making good contact, no shorts, etc?

Is the internal wiring from the crossover to the woofers correct, not loose, in phase, etc?

If that's not the problem, then you should reset the UMC200 (or the AVR4311) to its factory settings and start over with just the KLF 30's connected.  I'd then recommend doing a manual setup in the UMC200 for 2-channel only... set speakers to large (no crossover), no subwoofer, enter distances manually and completely skip the EMO-Q auto calibration.

Then I'd play a 2-channel only source, such as a CD, with some good bass content and see what happens.

If that fixes things, then it was a setup/calibration issue... If not, then I don't know. And you'll probably need someone on site to help out.

• Like 2

I would agree something is set wrong on the electronics. You said you checked phase of woofers but if someone has been messing with the crossover the problem could be there.

Have you got regular stereo receiver to try on them ?

I bet an HK 430 receiver would pump you up...lol. But those are starting to get old mine included and I cant afford to refurbish it but it still powers my K-Horns to concert levels at 10 o-clock position on volume.

Oh yea [GPBUSA] the jumpers those need to be checked almost always loose when I check them on friends speakers.

• Like 1

I would agree something is set wrong on the electronics. You said you checked phase of woofers but if someone has been messing with the crossover the problem could be there.

Have you got regular stereo receiver to try on them ?

I bet an HK 430 receiver would pump you up...lol. But those are starting to get old mine included and I cant afford to refurbish it but it still powers my K-Horns to concert levels at 10 o-clock position on volume.

Oh yea [GPBUSA] the jumpers those need to be checked almost always loose when I check them on friends speakers.

No additional audio equipment to test with. I also am not using jumpers. I have 4 wires running to the speaker connections. Then paired up at the amp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The KLF 30's don't have punchy bass like the KLF 20's or RF 7's.  Their bass is a bit more subtle. 

KLF-30s have bass that will knock you on your ***......and yes, they will punch you in the chest big time. Way more than the 20s or the 7s. I owned all three and had them in my room at the same time. 30s have a fuller bass/sound that may give the impression that they're not as punchy......but give them some power (they love big power) and they will kick like a mule.

Room, placement and location are BIG factors just as with any other Klipsch speaker.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrasher said:

No additional audio equipment to test with. I also am not using jumpers. I have 4 wires running to the speaker connections. Then paired up at the amp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Did you see my Post about your settings? Try them on large with sub turned off in the menu. 

• Like 2

I remember when I first brought my 30s home and compared them side by side with my 20's and mt 7's.

They made the 7's sound 'skinny' and 'thin' in comparison. Not nearly as musical.

They made the 20's sound very 'small' in comparison. Same kind of sound and I think the 20s had a 'sweeter' sound to them but the 30s lean closer to the bigger Heritage type of sound......and when you give them some serious juice they will absolutely light up. Like a band is in your living room.

You're not the first to have bass issues with 30's whether it's the aging crossovers, placement or whatever.....they are worth investigating.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3