KLF-30's bass sucks

teaman

10 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

thats crazy that swapping the amps made much of a difference at all. of course i dont remember what amp he said he had from emotiva.

I hear you but it really does not surprise me at all.  I have had similar experiences with different amps.  

My friend had an Emotiva UPA-2(125w/ch) driving his Cornwalls and though it sounded pretty good, it was a bit underwhelming.  I brought over an Acurus A-150(150w/ch) and swapped it out and the difference was overwhelming.  Both of us almost simultaneously said that the bass now thumped.  The rated power specs difference was not even a minimal factor in the improvements we observed which were greater detail, low noise floor, and serious punchy bass.

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, willland said:

I hear you but it really does not surprise me at all.  I have had similar experiences with different amps.  

My friend had an Emotiva UPA-2(125w/ch) driving his Cornwalls and though it sounded pretty good, it was a bit underwhelming.  I brought over an Acurus A-150(150w/ch) and swapped it out and the difference was overwhelming.  Both of us almost simultaneously said that the bass now thumped.  The rated power specs difference was not even a minimal factor in the improvements we observed which were greater detail, low noise floor, and serious punchy bass.

Bill

yeah i know your in that camp bill and you know that i have attended a amp g2g and no one could hear a difference between the amps that we had there, so some of this stuff just baffles me.lol but its all good. thats what is fun about this hobby. everyone hears different 

• Like 1

Theres no doubt the Emotiva set up got loud, I'm sure it was pushing 200 watts as rated, it just didn't have any heft behind it. At a very loud volume the woofers were barely moving, and I mean LOUD. With the Sunfire set I don't think we ever turned it up near as loud as we did the Emotiva set but we didn't have to get bass out of the speakers, they were clearly moving and you could feel the difference. I think even the nay sayers would have had a hard time disputing it had they been there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scrappydue said:

yeah i know your in that camp bill

I am in that camp because of my experience.  At least 36 amplifiers at this point in my journey.  Kind of like you owning most of the Reference line of speakers Klipsch has ever offered.;):D

Bill

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Montego said:

I learned from experience that you should use separate cables for biwiring - not pairs in the same jacket.

He's not trying to bi-wire.  I don't know the math but what he is trying to do is take two smaller wires let's say 18 awg and have them function as one large wire like a 10 awg.

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Theres no doubt the Emotiva set up got loud, I'm sure it was pushing 200 watts as rated, it just didn't have any heft behind it. At a very loud volume the woofers were barely moving, and I mean LOUD. With the Sunfire set I don't think we ever turned it up near as loud as we did the Emotiva set but we didn't have to get bass out of the speakers, they were clearly moving and you could feel the difference. I think even the nay sayers would have had a hard time disputing it had they been there.

You just confirmed what I previously said about ASSUMING, to my detriment.  I just ASSUMED it could NOT have been the Emotiva that was not allowing the bass to roar!  WRONG!

You just advanced my knowledge and thinking on that subject.  Kudos to you for helping a fellow forum member. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Weber said:

There is a huge difference in the sound from one that's right and one that's only loud. That's one thing I was hoping to pull others into about not all watts are equal thread. 

That's hard to quantify, but hearing is believing.  I am with you.

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's hard to quantify, but hearing is believing.  I am with you.

To me, it's not. Although in seconds of hearing (sometimes it takes ABing), I can say if it's right or not. Some amps / pre amps / source just can be dialed in, others can't.. 

I've had several speakers and / or power sources that didn't produce what I thought they should produce.

• Like 2

I am really happy to hear everything got worked out. Thank you very much to jjkptd for helping thrasher through this one.

I agree that different amps, processors and speakers regardless of power ratings make a huge difference. Glad to hear at least things have improved and that there was nothing wrong with the speakers

Tim

• Like 4

So the Emotive is not as good as some of us thought ??? I was leaning towards them but now not sure if it cant keep up with a receiver on the bass parts. Or was it the Emotive pre amp causing the problem ??

Glad its figured out though maybe some one with Emotive amp could do A/B test to make sure of this finding.

• Like 1

Not sure what exactly is going on with his set up ricktate. I have my Emotiva XPA-1's and XPA-2 that I have paired with my KLF-30's and they sound fantastic together. I know that the XPA-5 is more laid back in it's presentation than either of those amps but even with my Sherbourn SR-120 receiver which puts out 125 per channel my KLF's are almost overwhelming. I think a lot has to do with his room too but I cannot be sure.

Tim

• Like 2