KLF-30's bass sucks

teaman

Just looked at the pic of your room in the link. For optimal bass, they need to be 12-16 inches from the back wall and 2-4 feet from the side walls.

Make sure your sub and surrounds are OFF when tweaking the 30's. Bass cancellation can make life miserable.

Looks like your 30s are on the short wall.....any chance you can try them on the long wall?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Well something is wrong for sure......I would try stereo settings with out surrounds....then check on wiring and crossovers inside speaker. Those should kick butt no matter where you put them IMHO and the pic you have looks pretty good placement to me. I would also drop the Bi-wire silly stuff just asking for more trouble there. [with no gain]

I ran a pair of Heresys on a battery powered boom box one winter when power went out and still could make kids look over at the house when they walked by. So your power is ok I think.

Put ohm meter on all the drivers if you have one and the ability to check them. Rebuild crossover or talk to Bob crites about getting crossover rebuilt.

Problems like these are usually pretty easy to track down just have to start checking stuff.

• Like 2

Just as an experiment, slide both sofas toward the rear of the room and move the loveseat you are sitting on up about 3ft and pull the towers out about 1ft from corners.  This may not be practical for long term but just want to see if your placement/room is the culprit or something with the gear/speakers.

Bill

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, GPBusa said:

Is there a possible problem with the jumpers connecting the LF and HF banana plugs? Were they reinstalled correctly? Are they tight, making good contact, no shorts, etc?

Is the internal wiring from the crossover to the woofers correct, not loose, in phase, etc?

Fwiw, this was my first thought as well.

• Like 2

as mentioned the klf 30 should have great bass.  i think its worth mentioning to check the settings in the receiver/preamp.  scrappydude touched on this by saying make sure teh sub is turned off, just to be clear that doesnt mean turn off the sub itself, (but it should be off for testing anyways) it means check the receiver/pre & make sure you tell it subwoofer off or no.  i have done this myself once back when 5.1 was new & receivers had sub on/off options.  so if you have a sub & it was connected i bet your sub setting is set to on... that will cut bass below usually a default 80hz to the main speakers & send it to the sub.  i sold a friend my old onkyo receiver that does this & even though i told him about it he forgot & went for weeks with the bass being cut to his dual 12" main speakers.  first time i got to hear it i knew right away it was set wrong, he was blown away when i turned the sub setting off.  

worth a second check to be sure its set to off, or most new components let you pick full range to the mains & keep the sub turned on.       

• Like 2

18 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

as mentioned the klf 30 should have great bass.  i think its worth mentioning to check the settings in the receiver/preamp.  scrappydude touched on this by saying make sure teh sub is turned off, just to be clear that doesnt mean turn off the sub itself, (but it should be off for testing anyways) it means check the receiver/pre & make sure you tell it subwoofer off or no.  i have done this myself once back when 5.1 was new & receivers had sub on/off options.  so if you have a sub & it was connected i bet your sub setting is set to on... that will cut bass below usually a default 80hz to the main speakers & send it to the sub.  i sold a friend my old onkyo receiver that does this & even though i told him about it he forgot & went for weeks with the bass being cut to his dual 12" main speakers.  first time i got to hear it i knew right away it was set wrong, he was blown away when i turned the sub setting off.  

worth a second check to be sure its set to off, or most new components let you pick full range to the mains & keep the sub turned on.       

I have moved the speakers in and out of the corners. Tried different crossover settings, turned sub to off, tried them with a jumper wire, tried without, tried adjusting the manual eq to enhance the bass, all that being said, it's pretty stale.

sounds to me like something is wrong with them. have you tried them individually? maybe something is wired out of phase on them? try them one at a time. if each is still no good maybe time to pull the woofers on them and make sure they are hooked up correctly

They worked flawlessly when I demod them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mr. Thrasher, have you taken everything back to ground zero?  I can certainly see you have made numerous changes, all without success of restoring the bass.

I suggest you unplug everything.  Every wire, every speaker, sub, everything.

Then plug in the 30's only.  Run your speakers using the STEREO mode.  If that doesn't work, please provide pictures of where things are plugged into the AVR, and pictures of the back of the speakers with the wiring.

My thinking is the speakers are OK and there is a physical problem with the way the wires are attached.  Second theory is that there is a problem with the electronic setup.

I believe the missing bass can be found. 

• Like 1