RF-82 II help

frankhenrylee

Depending on where your located I have the RF 82, RC 62 setup at my house in ohio.  My dad has a RC 64 in Pittsburgh if your near one of them you could come listen to them.  I found the RC 62 on ebay for $300 and drove to Kentucky for the RF 82's I believe I paid $500 it has been awhile now though so can't exactly remember found them on craigslist.  The RC 62 blew the RC 52 I had out of the water. 

That's good info. I'm debating the need for a center since my towers are actually a little bit under my TV. I've got a pretty narrow space and couldn't do without the 65" tv. The towers will be right under the lower corners of the tv when I get it wall mounted. Thinking I may do some width channels or just connect the height/width speakers to the same Connectors as towers.

There's a doorway to kitchen to the right of where the tv is. I could mount the width speaker in the corner on other side of doorway. No problems on left side. Not sure how the imaging would sound though. I guess I'd have to get receiver that can do width channels if I can't connect those to same connections as front. Wouldn't be daisy chained, just double tapped.

1 hour ago, frankhenrylee said:

Just two speakers on one pair on the receiver. I don't know if you can do that or not, but don't see why you couldn't. So basically 4 speakers on the front connections.

Why?

It just is not a good ideal and serves on real purpose.  If the speakers are not loud enough, get bigger speakers.  The wiring of  four speakers may lead to amp/avr damage, lobing problems, ect.  Just not a good ideal all the way around.  Get a better avr that will do front wide or front height speakers if you want to add to the front stage.

Ok, bad idea then.

Any thoughts on the need for a center with the towers where they are?

Also, any recommendations for the width speakers? They have to be satellite type because anything else will look ridiculous.  I'll have to mount them high and then point them back down at seating. Might end up grabbing them for the surrounds as well.

• Moderators

If I remember correctly from my days of car audio, if you add two 8ohm speakers to one channel, you increase the resistance and it reduces the ohm by half so the receiver is going from a 8ohm load to a 4ohm load which makes the amp run hotter, in creases distortion.  I don't believe home audio receivers are designed to do this.

• Like 1

To me adding dinky satellite speakers to the sides of big towers is again, a waste of time. Your over complicating this. See how your towers sound. If they don't work then see about rearranging the room before you start doing all this other stuff that doesn't make any sense 

Yeah, those satellites don't look like much speaker. I have some Bose Cubes already in those spots, but from what I've read they're too proprietaryto work with regular avr. 

I may have to build a custom enclosure to get it aimed and looking right. Maybe put a in ceiling speaker in it. I don't know, just know I'd like a better stereo effect than what I'm getting now and a wider sound stage. Oh well, looks like my next piece should be a better avr. 

Sorry the brighter pics were over 2mb. The tv will move up and be wall mounted and the towers will move closer to the chest and the the left one won't be blocked by the couch at that point. I'm surprised at the difference in sound depending on the source. This particular movie(Captain America Civil War) I think really needs a center speaker. The bass is way overpowering the dialogue even though I have the bass reduced in eq. This setup also has almost no stereo effect so getting some wides just for sound effects will be nice. Those are Bose cubes in upper corners that were left by previous owner. I don't think they will work with regular AVR without some tinkering. For home theatre the RF-82's are very nice.