RF-82 II help

frankhenrylee

• Moderators

I can't see spending $750 on RF-5's.. I bought a pair for $500 from a forum member and sold them for $450.  Then again I only paid $400 for my son's RF7's so that makes it even more difficult.  The RF5's did not have enough bass for my room since the wife says no subs in the living room.

Yeah, $750 is pretty steep, but if they really are like new then I thought maybe. I actually found some for $400, but I'm still waiting to hear back about condition. They look good in the few pics I've seen though. One thing I've noticed on thise is that the Klipsch sticker is gray instead of the reddish brown I normally see. I dont know if thats a red flag or not. Is there a way to tell what year they're made by serial number?

• Moderators

Honestly, I'm not sure the RF-5 would be an upgrade but I've never heard them side by side either. 

Here are some photos of the ones I had.

The B&W DM604 S3's had more bottom end at low to mid level but when you really crank them, they began to break up where the RF-5's sounded better the more power I fed them.

From the looks of the photos below, they have the same badge as my son's RF-7's.

I would look at the sticker on the back.  That will determine if they are legit RF-5's.  The badge could have easily fallen off and they bought some synergy badges or something.  Not sure.  Send pics if you have them and we all can take a look.

klipsch-rf-5-2.jpg

I brought my son's RF-7's out to compare them to.

klipsch-rf-5-6.jpg

klipsch-rf-5-8.jpg

• Moderators

I'm not seeing anything in the label that seems "fishy".

I'm not sure mine were the "standard" cherry.  They had almost an exotic look to them.  Never seen another pair like them.

I googled them and found a dark cherry like mine but without the dark grain pattern.  Some other photos show a lighter shade of "Cherry" RF-5's.  I hear they get darker with age too. 

klipsch%20rf5%20cherry.jpg

Just looking at the pics there I can see there's definitely a lot of variation in the grain patterns. Yours in particular have a lot of contrast between the darker and lighter grain. Very nice looking. The cherry RF-7II or the RF-5 are now at the top of my list, just have to wait till another good deal comes along. Somebody beat me to those RF-5's for $400. The other ones I was looking into are black so no go there either. 

These seem to come up a little more often than I would've expected, but only in the larger markets like Dallas and St.Louis. Little Rock, not so much. I wonder if you can get them straight from the factory. Might cost me full price, but would be cool to pick em up in person.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

I wonder if you can get them straight from the factory. Might cost me full price, but would be cool to pick em up in person.

Not sure but if you call Klipsch, they could tell you.  The RF-5's are of course no longer in production so you will have to find them on the used market.

On 10/10/2016 at 2:38 PM, Youthman said:

I felt the same way with the RF-7ii.  The RF-7 are on the bright side.  RF-83 are very laid back.  The RF-7ii is right in the middle which to my ears sounds the best between the three.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

As I've been browsing the forum looking up different Klipsch speakers from the past, it seems you've owned quite a few. It's telling that you prefer the latest iteration of the RF-7II.Seems to show, at least in your opinion, that the Klipsch speakers do keep improving. I was just looking at the Epic CF-4s that you compared to your 83's. I see you still have the 83's. I guess some think the CF-4's are Epic like the name implies. Not to say that they aren't, but just interesting that you've owned and compared so many and these are the ones you've held on to.

Out of curiosity, there's a photographer that goes by the name of Stickman that posts in some other forums. Are you one in the same? 

7 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

I see you still have the 83's.

7 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

compared so many and these are the ones you've held on to.

Sorry to thread crash but Michael(Youthman) still owns the RF7II's not the RF-83's.

I think he finally parted with the 83's after he got the LaScalas.

Bill

• Moderators
12 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

As I've been browsing the forum looking up different Klipsch speakers from the past, it seems you've owned quite a few.

Just a few

speaker-list-09-08-16.jpg

I was just looking at the Epic CF-4s that you compared to your 83's. I see you still have the 83's. I guess some think the CF-4's are Epic like the name implies. Not to say that they aren't, but just interesting that you've owned and compared so many and these are the ones you've held on to.

The CF-4's had more slam than the RF-83's but you have to realize, the RF-83's were "my babies" for many years as these were my first NEW set of Klipsch Speakers.  Absolutely mint, and difficult to part with.  My biggest problem with the CF Series is the horns were always firing at my knees instead of at my ears. Not sure why Klipsch decided to design them that way.

Klipsch-CF-4-1.jpg

Klipsch-CF-4-4.jpg

Out of curiosity, there's a photographer that goes by the name of Stickman that posts in some other forums. Are you one in the same? 

No, I've never gone by "Stickman"....always Youthman.

I have a friend that seems like he's always changing his front speakers. His use is mainly music and he spends ridiculous amounts of money on full range towers. I don't think he's held on to a pair of speakers more than 6 months though. Doesn't that uncommon for people to try a set for awhile and then move on. He buys all of his stuff used and always seems to sell for what he paid for so I guess past the initial cost it isn't hurting him any.

Ideal sound seems like a moving target depending on the source and I find myself constantly adjusting settings. I wish there was a room mic that I could set up to my preferences and then the avr could auto adjust all other material for me. 

Earlier it looked like you had settled in on the RF-7II's as being your Klipsch preference. Is that what you were still running when the LaScalas came along? Also, what is your opinion of the imaging on the LaScalas? Seems like they sit kind of low for HT. Are you using them for 2-Channel mainly?

• Moderators

Almost every Klipsch speaker I've purchased was purchased at really good prices.  I typically only make a purchase if I know beyond a shadow of a doubt if I chose to sell it tomorrow, I would easily make my money back on it.  The only pair I didn't get my money back when I sold them was the RF-5's.  I paid $500 and sold them for $450.  My goal at one time was to have owned and heard every Klipsch Reference speaker in my own home in my own setup so I could share photos and my experience with the forum members here.

5 minutes ago, frankhenrylee said:

Earlier it looked like you had settled in on the RF-7II's as being your Klipsch preference.

That is for my 2ch living room setup.  I started out with B&W DM604 S2's, then B&W DM604 S3's, then RF-7ii's.  I've compared them to Chorus II, Forte II and RF-5's and none provided the sound I was looking for, especially in the bass dept.  My wife finally agreed to let me have a setup in the living room as long as I didn't have a subwoofer.  She said that's what the theater room is for.

My LaScalas are used in my dedicated home theater.  I've never had them in the living room because I know my wife would never go for them in there.  Way too big for her.  She hates the RF-7ii's but she tolerates them as long as I keep the grills on. 

8 minutes ago, frankhenrylee said:

Seems like they sit kind of low for HT.

Why is that?  The tweeters are pretty much ear level when sitting down which is where you want them to be.

9 minutes ago, frankhenrylee said:

Also, what is your opinion of the imaging on the LaScalas?

Fantastic.  Imaging and detail is what made me sell my RF-83's.  And once I bought a third LaScala and compared it to my RC-64, there was no comparison. 

klipsch-lascala-vs-rf-83-2.jpg

Hey frank, I'm writing in your thread to keep things more on topic with what your doing. If you have RF-7ii in your future then the rc-64ii is what you want. The 62 won't cut it between those big boys. Now if you can get a third rf-7ii between then be prepared to be floored. It won't get any better than three matching LCR. But that's usually not possible for most, so 64ii is your next possible solution. And regardless of what I said and what everyone thinks,there  are better centers out there than the 64. Doesn't mean it's still not a great center. Even youthman above said once he heard the la Scala as a center compared there was a huge difference. But he will say the same, 64 is still a good center.