RF-82 II help

frankhenrylee

I got a chance to crank em up again last night since the family was out shopping. Played with the settings on the Onkyo, and my best music setting is Pure Audio, but it doesnt use the sub. This is standard 2-channel left and right fronts. It was good but the lack of a serious bottom end left me wanting that sub to be on. It makes me wonder about the RF-7II or the Heresy for 2-channel. I mostly listen to rock music of all types and often read that Klipsch are some of the best for this.

I know I've been all over the place, but am now considering doing 3 Heresy's for L-C-R sitting on a chest to get them up under the TV. 

Anyone got a conparison between the Heresy and RF-7?

• Moderators

In my 2-ch  set up, I needed speakers that provided a good amount of bottom end because I could not have a sub in the living room.   Don't get me wrong, there is no substitute for a quality subwoofer  but the RF7ii provide a very good amount of slam

Please don't discount Heresys in a 2-channel rig or even LCR in an HT rig.  For a small room 2-channel rig, you can get by with Heresys alone but a fast punchy sub would enhance things for even rock music.  As far as Heresy LCR in HT mode, you would use a sub in that application anyway so they are ones to consider, IMO.

Bill

Heresy is good for 2 channel music on things like flamenco, it has enough bottom end to pick up the guitar body slaps that they do, but they're about done at that point.  Any lower and you need a sub.  Even my RP-160M's have more bass.  Same location, same room, same receiver.  

• Like 1

According to the manual, Pure Audio is L/R only with no processing.  My Onk 717 also turns off the blue lights on the front panel so you get a truly "Pure" audio experience only with no distractions.

I do suggest you run the sub.  If you only have L/R + sub the AVR will give you ONLY the audio options that work with that combination.  There are still a LOT of options, and likely something that you will like.  I use PLII Movie or NEO:6 Music which translates 2.0 input into multiple speaker output, including 2.1 and in my case 3.1.

FYI MUSIC mode throws more sound to the outside L/R, and MOVIE mode is stronger in the center speaker where vocals are.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, frankhenrylee said:

Surely I can duplicate the Pure Audio settings on another option that allows the sub.

No there's not a way to pure audio  because as I mentioned, pure audio actually disables video processing, and audio processing .  there's no other mode on your Onkyo that does that. I personally do not like the sound of pure audio but that's just me.

Well then. I'd hoped to find some default settings that I could just tweak a little, but I guess it will be more complicated than that. I'll keep messing with it. I really haven't gotten too deep into it yet, just sampling out the defaults and making minor adjustments. Really want to just find a happy medium and leave it there for everything. Or at least just have a setting for TV/movies, and music.

5 hours ago, Youthman said:

Bill if he is looking for a pair of speakers  that provides plenty of base without a sub, I just don't see how Heresy's are an option.

6 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

I know I've been all over the place, but am now considering doing 3 Heresy's for L-C-R sitting on a chest to get them up under the TV. 

I was more replying to this comment, which he most like would use a subwoofer(s).

Both my HI's and HII's in their respective rooms have some serious thumping bass.  Not pipe organ low bass but plenty for most music.

Bill

10 minutes ago, Youthman said:

The only pair I've heard is Wakejunkies and they had very little bass. I'm sure every room will sound different but I've heard a lot of guys share that their Heresy's do not put out a lot of bass as well.

Shaun-Ivy-1-edited-Facebook.jpg

Minimal low bass but kick in the chest midbass in the right room and with the right gear.:D

Bill