RF-82 II help

frankhenrylee

Hey folks,

Hoping you guys can help me out a bit. I'm looking to get my first decent set of home audio speakers, but there's so many opinions and options out there it's hard to decide. I have a friend who's big into it and he recommended the RP-280f and loves Klipsch. The only speakers he has right now are some ungodly expensive something or others so he can't help much with a demo and I don't have a place to go listen to any around here except the few they have at Best Buy and its not a great setup. I've found a couple of Rf-82 II's for $500 that they claim to be barely used. There's also a sw-112 for $200, but reviews are mixed on that and don't know if either are a good deal or not. The R-28F's I heard at Best Buy were ok, but the bass was not as tight as I would've liked, but I will say they are the best of what I have heard so far. Where does the RF-82 II come in as far as Klipsch's lineup goes? Is it comparable to the current R-28F? What about the RP-280F? Any help you guys can give will be much appreciated!!!!!!

Another vote for the RF-82's by reputation only, I haven't heard them live and in person.

From what I've seen the $500 seems like a fair price for seller and buyer.  If you buy them for that price they do hold their resale value so if you don't like them you could likely get your money back out of them.

• Like 2

OK, I'm getting the 82's and the sub. I can always upgrade the sub later or add another. What is the corresponding center and surrounds? The RC-64 II looks awesome, but the best deal I've seen is $900 and WHOOOOOAAAA!!!!, that seems like a lot of money for one speaker! The RC-62 II is probably what I'll go with, but they seem to be fairly difficult to find at the moment. I have no idea about the surrounds though...

So I've apparently got the home audio bug now and am scouring the internet trying to fill int he missing pieces with the RFII series components. I told myself that I would just pick them up as I found deals, but that's out the window cause I can't wait to get all of this set up. I've read that it's pretty important to keep the front and centers matched, not so much so with surrounds. Which brings me to my question of matching the newer RP-450 center with the RF-82II. Am I really hurting anything? It seems like a lot more speaker for only a little more money. The cheapest I've seen the RC-62II is $375 and the RP-450 is $500-$550. I did see a RC-64II for $800. All open box, like new condition. Any harm or do I just need to wait out a good deal on the RC-62II?

Thanks again for all the help! With some luck, I may have a pretty awesome setup here pretty soon.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get the 450c over the 62ii. the 62ii is the match for your mains. looks sound, everything about it. the 450c is much more laid-back, rear ported, and in my opinion a worse center speaker. i have owned them all. i was one of the very first on the forum to buy all the reference premiere models to try out. 

i have bought a few different 62 centers. i think the most i payed for a used one was 300. bought a couple for 150 and a couple for 225 also. if i were you if you can find one for 350 for 400 snag it. would a deal come along for a better snag down the road? always. if you dont want to wait, msrp was 550 on the 62 center and they sold from good dealers for 400 new. so if you wanted it, 350 for a mint one isn't a bad deal to me. 

Got my new to me RF-82II and SW-112 tonight. I get them home and get them going and low and behold they sound a lot like my white van speakers. I know white van speakers are considered crap, but I've always thought these were pretty good. They were given to me so maybe that makes them sound better, but lots of people have agreed. The dialogue and sound effects were noticeably better than average. 

So I figure the similarity has a lot to do with my god knows how old Sony STR-DE685 receiver. I get some extra white noise/hiss when its turned up to 40(which seems to be a normal volume for listening to music, kind of loud, but not overly loud.) and it seems to be there no matter the source(levels vary though). Which is another problem. Due to the age of my receiver I have my XboxOne connected to my TV, which is then connected to the Sony by optical cable. I know this is not optimal, but I figure it's digital so what difference would it make? I'm playing my old CD's on the XboxOne. I tried to set up the STR as best as possible, but it doesn't have anything fancy. Basically just set it up for fronts and a sub and that's it. That's supposed to play the music "as is" without adding/taking anything to/from it. It has a basic EQ for adjusting treble and bass(WooHoo! High Tech! I took some bass and treble out)

SO is this the old receiver or is it the crappy xbox to tv to receiver set up I have going? I assume its both, but a budget is now limited. I may have had my hopes set a little high with the new purchase as I thought there was a possibility I'd have to change my underwear after hearing them. Not so much though. They are good, but figured they'd walk the dog on the white van speakers.

What does the almighty Klipsch community have to say?

Congrats on your purchase. The good thing is your speakers are good to go. Even when you upgrade your receiver or player the speakers should not need anything. Your receiver should be fine as long as you don't play it too loud you. If you are looking to use it for surround in the future look for an HDMI ready receiver. There are plenty that start around $129 to get the equivalent to the receiver you are using now so it won't break you. If you listen to a lot of music on CD there are plenty of cheap players to be had as well. Baby steps.

I started this journey four years ago with,with rf-82, rc 62, RW 12, RS 52 and RB 61's powered by a yamaha 667, same set up you are describing.

Run quick!!

I still have, the RF system but with different components, plus three other klipsch systems now. This is basically the equivalent to Audio anonymous in here.

Welcome to the club! You've been warned.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

Got my new to me RF-82II and SW-112 tonight. I get them home and get them going and low and behold they sound a lot like my white van speakers. I know white van speakers are considered crap, but I've always thought these were pretty good. They were given to me so maybe that makes them sound better, but lots of people have agreed. The dialogue and sound effects were noticeably better than average. 

So I figure the similarity has a lot to do with my god knows how old Sony STR-DE685 receiver. I get some extra white noise/hiss when its turned up to 40(which seems to be a normal volume for listening to music, kind of loud, but not overly loud.) and it seems to be there no matter the source(levels vary though). Which is another problem. Due to the age of my receiver I have my XboxOne connected to my TV, which is then connected to the Sony by optical cable. I know this is not optimal, but I figure it's digital so what difference would it make? I'm playing my old CD's on the XboxOne. I tried to set up the STR as best as possible, but it doesn't have anything fancy. Basically just set it up for fronts and a sub and that's it. That's supposed to play the music "as is" without adding/taking anything to/from it. It has a basic EQ for adjusting treble and bass(WooHoo! High Tech! I took some bass and treble out)

SO is this the old receiver or is it the crappy xbox to tv to receiver set up I have going? I assume its both, but a budget is now limited. I may have had my hopes set a little high with the new purchase as I thought there was a possibility I'd have to change my underwear after hearing them. Not so much though. They are good, but figured they'd walk the dog on the white van speakers.

What does the almighty Klipsch community have to say?

One thing I've learned through my Klipsch escapades is that the speakers will let you know if they don't like something in the signal path. I have a lot of personal bias against receivers as well after I'd used a garbage Yamaha for my first pair of Klipsch. And they were only from the inferior Synergy line! I've never heard the RF-82II, but I know they're much better than my old F-20s were.

It could be the receiver or the signal path you have with the TV and the Xbox, I wouldn't expect the TV to have the best circuitry for carrying high quality sound. The good news is that you already have some good speakers, so hang onto those and wait for a good deal on some electronics. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from my old Synergy towers when I went from the miserable Yamaha receiver to an Adcom amp and preamp that I'd bought second-hand.

If you'd like an easy single-purchase fix, look for a NAD integrated at a decent price. A lot of them are relatively lower wattage, which means you won't get massive bass, but it'll be enough to expose the difference of good electronics. I haven't heard one myself, but I've considered buying them in the past since they're so well-reputed.

Congrats on the RF-82II's.

The reason you are not as impressed as you should be(compared to your WVS) is that if your front end produces a high noise floor then the very efficient RF-82II's will multiply that noise/hiss by three or more.  

Bill

• Like 1