Custom bass bins

Neh4pres

So, I just finished refinishing my 1980-82 lascalla's. After 2 gallons of Bondo and a gallon of duratec, they look great. During the restoration I found a piece of speaker surround when I removed the bottom.  Even though all drivers worked well, one k43 was very deteriorated with dry rot and missing surround in places. I replaced both with crites aluminum replacements. No mods needed in these old cabs.

So, the questions are. I have 2 k43's that could be reconed and used. I also have 2 generic 12" woofers I think we're used in a car setup.  These are all 4 ohm speakers, and my pioneer elite does not accept 4 ohm. So I was thinking of building a custom bin with a k43 and 12" in series per channel. Will have 4 woofers total and 8 ohms per channel. Would this be a good setup? And can I drive the k43 without a crossover? I plan on powering them on B channel, which plays the same as front left and right, but uses the unused side channels in my 7.1 system, effectivity making it a 5.1 system with 4 front speakers.

I was thinking of a compressed horn setup for the k43's and direct radiating for the 12", what design should I use for the k43's? Lascalla's bins? Jubilees? Or something different? Thanks in advance for all advice.

I am confused on what exactly you are planning so I may be off target. 

The k-43s are fine. Once they are reconed they will sound great.

Yes, they will need a crossover.

No, I would not bother mixing the "unknown" 12inch speakers into the system. It may be a large project for you if you try to build la Scala cabinets and refresh the K-43's. You would still need to find mid-range and tweeter sections and design an appropriate crossover.

BTW, a K-43 is not appropriate for a Jubilee-style bass bin. Perhaps you should not be committed to the K-43's since they are in need of repair anyway. 

One possibility is to build a "cornscala", however I would avoid straying from the Bob Crites design - his components and crossover and cabinet geometry are tried-and-true. Manu of the other "designs" and choices I see around this forum are suspect IMO. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I am not trying to build a full range speaker, just want the extra bass from a custom bass bin. That would still need a crossover?

One k43 is still in excellent condition, and both still work. I didn't know there was a issue until I took them apart.  That's why it's hard to just walk away from them, and the lascalla's can always use some extra bass imho

In this case, even though I don't have any myself, I would buy or build a pair of subs to go with your La Scalas. That will be a better known solution. You could recoup some of your money by selling the K-43s. Your bass will already be a little better by switching to the woofers from Bob. The K-43s will be lighter on the low end, but upper end of the mid bass will be a bit smoother.

Bruce

• Like 1

Okay, I have a better idea of what is going on. I agree with what Bruce posted.

My advice is to build a subwoofer to supplement the LaScala. Unfortunately, the K-43 does not lend itself to being a subwoofer driver. The K-43 is desirable speaker and you would be able to sell it for between $100-150. Use that money toward another driver (check Parts Express for possibilities) and build a sub-woofer cabinet.

Just my opinion ....

• Like 1

Parts Express has some nice subwoofer kits with varying levels of effort required.  I recommend 2, placed in the middle of any opposite walls.  There is a paper floating around here that studied subwoofer placement.  Four centered on each wall is the most performance-least cost configuration, but 2 is close. 

• Like 1