Cornwall woofers

A1UC

One or both were likely replaced.  Since the label on the back is also faded, I would think sun damage though if you did have anything like WT3, you could measure them.  

Even if one of the woofers was slightly off and possibly a replacement (R?), you would likely not be able to tell and the measurements would barely be affected and within tolerance. 

If you like the woofers to be the same color because you listen without the grills on, you might want to treat them with something simple like a very thinned clear latex.  It would refresh the look of both cones and likely make them appear the same color.  Do this only if you are comfortable with it.  I did it to a set of Heresys I once owned because I hated having the grills off and seeing two different color woofers.  Didn't affect the sound.

Keep in mind while the T/S parameters are the same as the K-33E on the K-34E the cardboard trim ring on the front is not.  The K-34E is designed to be flush mounted to the motor board and on a K-33E or equivalent the taller cardboard trim around the woofer will protrude and not be flush.  If they work well I would leave them alone.  "R" does indeed mean replacement.  You'll be better off spending money to replace that dividing network in there that looks like it was made by playschool.  The cabinet also resonates like crazy rap on the side of it with your hand you will notice it.  Some 1" acoustic foam secured on the three non-opposing sides will make a nice difference. 

Michael Colter used some SEM spray paint to touch up some faded Heresy woofers once. They looked great! A very light coat spray vinyl.
You use a small enough amount that it won't noticeably affect the compliance or mass of the woofer cones.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Cornwall's since I picked them up and I am really impressed with there sound . I ended up adding an upgrade to my DAC yesterday and they just sound crazy good . I'm using the NBS / VRD and my DAC . The speakers have a huge sound stage and really fill the room , vocals are just awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to fix the discoloration on the woofers just use a foam brush and india ink to re-dye them.  I did that with both woofers on my pair of designer Cornwalls and it worked great.  Search under my user name for pictures.  It took maybe 10 minutes and the cones are still a deep black today.  There is no need for fancy rubber paint or anything like that and the ink sure as heck won't affect the sound.

Laters,

Jeff

Congrats on the new speakers dude! Glad to hear you love them. I only say this because I know how much you love buying and selling gear and speakers. So if you do move on from the cornwalls order some 904s. They are cornwalls on steroids. They both share that large sound. The 904 is probably the only speaker iv ever heard where the voice is bigger than the room. But regardless enjoy those corns. They really are great speakers.