Pro Cinema gear for home theater?

Win68

Scrappy asked " Are you gonna do a 16x9 screen or 2.35? "

I'm not sure yet.  I havent really researched my screen and projector.

I'm thinking 16x9 because I watch a bit of sports, but I'm not very informed on the topic yet.

any recommendations? primers you can recommend?

On 10/10/2016 at 8:47 PM, Win68 said:

Scrappy asked " Are you gonna do a 16x9 screen or 2.35? "

I'm not sure yet.  I havent really researched my screen and projector.

I'm thinking 16x9 because I watch a bit of sports, but I'm not very informed on the topic yet.

any recommendations? primers you can recommend?

Well I used to have a 16x9 and I realized 75% of what I watched was 2.35. Then the cinema gear came along and my 16x9 frame ran right in front of each of the tweeters on left and right speakers. So 2.35 was an easy choice then. 

• Like 1

Thanks CinemaHead - I appreciate it.

I added a sub and a couple of surrounds (KPT-8001) to make a temporary 5.1 system.

I believe the sub sent my amp into protect mode a couple of times, I guess I'll have to

buy a PA amp for my subs after all.

It is truly amazing the upgrade in sound over my existing speakers. I cant spend enough time lately

cranking these up and enjoying the sound. 

surround-small.jpgsub-small.jpg

Regarding screen format, it will probably be depending on your wall constraints.  For me (and probably for most), I wanted the largest screen I could get for both content formats.  My room is more limited in height than width so I got a 2.35:1 screen.  With this situation, I get the largest 16:9 picture my room would allow for and I also get the largest 2.35:1 picture as well.  If your room is more width constrained then a 16:9 screen may give you the largest picture sizes available.  If you do go with a 2.35:1 screen, you'll want to make sure you get a projector with lens shift memory. That won't be needed with a 16:9 screen.

I was not aware that most movies are in 2:35 format until someone mentioned it on this forum.  I'm very glad that I found this out as the 2.35:1 format gives me the biggest picture size for both given my room dimensions.  I'm really enjoying this screen and projector.

• Like 1

Lots of movies in both but... the 2.35/2.40 is used in most of the big money action/adventure type movies. With projectors its best to first figure a few things out . Big ones are.... is it going to be a blackout dark room when the projector is in use? if not how much light? Some set ups can be ran with all the lights on. The screen gain and the projectors output are two of the three main light issues. The biggest is room set up. Room can make up for a lot  in the big picture of performance. A person could go really cheap on the projector and diy the screen with paint. And if the room is done right it could outclass a money no object projector and screen in a bad set up. On that same topic you could flip it around put more into the projector and screen and do just the basics of the room. Bottom line "set up" is as important as it ever gets in the ht realm (bass probably can be a close 2nd if its really important for that person and the room is filled with dead spots). Projectors came out of the stone age around the time that HD made its final big push and took over everything.

And as much as hd was a huge improvement for tvs in the 50+or- range. For projectors on 100+ screens the hd upgrade was nothing short of a miracle. Probably the biggest leap in performance the audio/video world has ever seen in one big step.  

• Like 1

I'd like something in the 150' range, but I'm not sure if it'll be too big.  My primary viewing position is about 14' from the screen.

I'm somewhat open to treating windows for darkness, but didn't want to go that route, because i'm putting the HT in my living room

and don't want a darkened cave since it's a somewhat multipurpose room.  My original plan was to get a 65' flat screen for daytime TV

watching and have a motorized drop down screen, that would drop in front of the flat screen, I could lower at night for movies.  Since I'm going to be putting my KPT-435s behind the screen I dont really have room to put a flat screen now. so I guess I'm going to explore my options of window treatment and/or projector/screen combinations to get a good picture during the day.

20 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

For the windows get blackout curtains that can be open and closed. Size imo get the biggest you can.  

I'll second this. I have two windows behind my screen that are completely blacked out with curtains. Even at high noon I wouldn't know there are windows behind the screen because of the curtains. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 7:10 PM, Cinema_head said:

For the windows get blackout curtains that can be open and closed. Size imo get the biggest you can.  

The trouble I have is that I have a several windows that are going to be difficult to deal with.  I'll need to shop around for a good solution for this.

windows1.jpgwindows2.jpg

On 10/15/2016 at 7:10 PM, Cinema_head said:

...(screen)... size imo get the biggest you can.  

That was my initial thought, however I don't want it so big it'll give me a headache,

like if you sit too close to the screen at the movies.

I'd like to keep my primary viewing position about 14' to the screen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Win68 said:

Ha - good eye sir.

Yes they are.

I brought them out of retirement and was using them for awhile

Those were Radio Shack's top speaker. In their time, they would hang with speakers of their level. I bought a pair a few years ago just so I could hear what they sounded like.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Weber said:

Those were Radio Shack's top speaker. In their time, they would hang with speakers of their level. I bought a pair a few years ago just so I could hear what they sounded like.  

So how did you like them? and how much did you pay? - just curious

I bought these new back in 1980 and i always liked them.

I had some B&W speakers I was using until I fried one of them,

good thing I did because it finally lit a fire under me to upgrade.

I brought these down and they sounded really good - better than

the B&Ws imo.

13 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Very nice set up! I've read a lot of good things about the 2-way versions, wonder how the extra horn adds to the already great sound?

Thanks - I'm loving them.  I have another 418 Sub and 6 more KPT-8001s to hookup as well, so I'm expecting the sound to improve.

Well I've never heard the 2 way, so I cant compare.  I will say that after listening to them for about a week or so now, they sound a little bright, I expect they'll sound better once i spend some time to place them correctly and tune them better.  I also think once they're behind the screen that should tame them a little bit.  I have some painting to do before I buy a screen and projector, so I just kinda threw them up with hardly any effort to setup.

5 minutes ago, Win68 said:

So how did you like them? and how much did you pay? - just curious

You might not want to know the answer to either question. 

I gave $30 or $40, can't remember which. I tried them for a few weeks, I tried, okay :P

A flipper wanted to trade Mach 1 + $100 for Walnut Heresy...okay. Those Heresy accompanied the Cornwall that I gave to my brother in Alaska. I craved Heresy and Cornwall for a couple of years before I scored some more Heresy, I'm still waiting on more Cornwall. :mellow:

What was the question?...oh yeah, the Mach ones. I'd buy another pair. :D

To be honest, I have had a few Realistic receivers, amp and speakers. I do like them. Besides the speakers, I had the STA2300, STA2080 and still have the SA2001 and TA1001. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weber said:

You might not want to know the answer to either question. 

I gave $30 or $40, can't remember which. I tried them for a few weeks, I tried, okay :P

A flipper wanted to trade Mach 1 + $100 for Walnut Heresy...okay. Those Heresy accompanied the Cornwall that I gave to my brother in Alaska. I craved Heresy and Cornwall for a couple of years before I scored some more Heresy, I'm still waiting on more Cornwall. :mellow:

What was the question?...oh yeah, the Mach ones. I'd buy another pair. :D

To be honest, I have had a few Realistic receivers, amp and speakers. I do like them. Besides the speakers, I had the STA2300, STA2080 and still have the SA2001 and TA1001. 

no offense

Realistic had some good stuff, at least for a high school kid washing dishes to support the hobby.

I had a couple different Realistic receivers but traded and eventually bought some Technics gear... receiver, EQ, turn table and tape player lol

I have one of the Technics receivers hooked up in my garage right now, but the Mach Ones are the only remaining Realistic gear I have left. I'm pretty sure anyways, I'd have to double check my attic.  

Ah those were the good ol days

On 10/14/2016 at 7:02 PM, Win68 said:

I'd like something in the 150' range, but I'm not sure if it'll be too big.  My primary viewing position is about 14' from the screen.

I'm somewhat open to treating windows for darkness, but didn't want to go that route, because i'm putting the HT in my living room

and don't want a darkened cave since it's a somewhat multipurpose room.  My original plan was to get a 65' flat screen for daytime TV

watching and have a motorized drop down screen, that would drop in front of the flat screen, I could lower at night for movies.  Since I'm going to be putting my KPT-435s behind the screen I dont really have room to put a flat screen now. so I guess I'm going to explore my options of window treatment and/or projector/screen combinations to get a good picture during the day.

I have a 16:9 150" woven AT screen and it is awesome - front row is 12 feet and second is 17.5. Thought it may be too big from front row, but nope, it is awesome.

By the way, I have KPT-8001 surrounds as well and I love them. Bought some for atmos also but ended up using aw-650s instead.

• Like 1