Pro Cinema gear for home theater?

Win68

On 10/17/2016 at 9:53 PM, davecraze said:

I have a 16:9 150" woven AT screen and it is awesome - front row is 12 feet and second is 17.5. Thought it may be too big from front row, but nope, it is awesome.

By the way, I have KPT-8001 surrounds as well and I love them. Bought some for atmos also but ended up using aw-650s instead.

Yeah the 8001s aren't suited for ATMOS, at least in my application.  I'll take a look at the AW-650s - thanks

On 10/17/2016 at 9:53 PM, davecraze said:

I have a 16:9 150" woven AT screen and it is awesome - front row is 12 feet and second is 17.5. Thought it may be too big from front row, but nope, it is awesome.

Dave,

how high off the ground did you mount your screen?  If I put the screen on the wall I'd like it, i'd would be very close to the floor.  I'm thinking about changing my room around and mount the screen on a different wall where I could mount it as high off the floor as I'd like.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 11:39 PM, pat_in_dfw said:

Why not use the Klipsch  KA-1000-THX subwoofer amplifier?  It seems like a good match for those subs?

That looks like a nice amp.  It looks to be discontinued, but i'll keep my eyes open for one.  I've stalled with my project, still trying to select a projector and screen.  Meanwhile I'm loving my speakers.  I had my first angry neighbor the other night, I forgot I had a window open. !! lol

On 11/9/2016 at 11:50 PM, Win68 said:

That looks like a nice amp.  It looks to be discontinued, but i'll keep my eyes open for one.  I've stalled with my project, still trying to select a projector and screen.  Meanwhile I'm loving my speakers.  I had my first angry neighbor the other night, I forgot I had a window open. !! lol

Why do you say it's discontinued?  From the Klipsch website it doesn't say anything about that and lists a price along with availability.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/ka-1000-thx-amplifier

23 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I wonder what filters were needed and why?

The same type filters used in any ported sub with an integrated amp to protect the driver from overexcursion below the tuning frequency of the box.  Sealed sub amps normally include boost at the bottom end to make up for the natural roll off of the enclosure type.  Amps, drivers and enclosures are tuned as a unit.

Pat

I didn't check klipsch website directly.  I believe i checked amazon.  I'll have to catch up on the discussion of filters and if it's designed for my subs.  I was also looking at the Dayton Audio SPA2400DSP which has plenty of power for both of my subs, however I'm not sure if its dsp is better than my audyssey on my marantz

I'd also have to build an enclosure for it

On 11/16/2016 at 11:37 AM, CECAA850 said:

I'd only use that amp with the subs it was designed for due to the integrated filters.

I thought the filters could be bypassed.  I've never used this amp so I'm not sure.

In the spec sheet it said " The crossover can be bypassed to feed the amplifier directly from the subwoofer output of an A/V preamplifier, processor, or receiver."

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/ka-1000-thx-spec-sheet.pdf

If I found one of these amps used at a decent price I'd like to try it in my theater.  I'm using a QSC pro amp in bridged mono for my sub currently.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 10/6/2016 at 11:42 PM, Win68 said:

I guess I'm stressing out over nothing, but whenever I walk by these huge cabinets, they frighten me!!.

Here's an example of the side by side setup setup I was referring to,  

After reading what you said about the soundstage issue it makes sense..

Let me ask you about sub placing?  I was planning on putting a KPT-418-SW between each KPT-435, which will push the 435s past the screen also.  what would you recommend for sub placement?

I'm not sure what size screen I'm going to go with, I haven't really started researching that very much yet.  I'm thinking at least 120" tho.  my wall is 18' and my viewing distance is 15' from the screen

Attached is a rough mark up of my room

Living Room Diagram B.png

I would try them on that 12' wall just to see.  That looks to be what effective width is anyway on the 18' wall.

• Like 2