Pro Cinema gear for home theater?

Win68

Hello,

My room is 24' wide 45' long with vaulted ceilings up to 22' with a short wall 'dividing' the room, but it is still open  above and around the short wall.

I'm shopping for a 7.2.4 system. I have a marantz av7702mk2 pre processor and an emotiva amp.

A friend of mine is trying to sell me some Klipsch pro cinema gear for my room.  He has 3 KPT-904 - which i'd use for LCR he also has 2 pro series subs, not sure which model and he can said he can get some surrounds KPT-8001 I think, but I haven't seen them yet, so not positive on the model number.

a few questions for you gurus / enthusiasts....

1) would this work well for my home theater or be complete overkill.

2) will my consumer amp push these speakers? (It's a 7 channel with XLR and RCA 200 wpc)  I know I'd have to get an amp for the subs and ATMOS speakers.

3) Can anyone estimate pricing on these types of items? I know they were used commercially, but he doesn't know how many hours on them, purchase date etc.  

I appreciate any advice you can give.  

PS.  I'm also looking at some vintage Klipsch Chorus speakers as an alternative to the pro series gear and pickup the other speakers separately.

Welcome, 

That is a good size room.  I have seen pro gear in smaller rooms, so I don't think they will be over kill.  To the normal person they are, but to most of us they are not.  Like Weber said, you could put MCM 1900's in that room.  Those KPT-904's will be a great fit.  Do you by chance know what horn they have on top?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Win68 said:

will my consumer amp push these speakers? (It's a 7 channel with XLR and RCA 200 wpc)  I know I'd have to get an amp for the subs and ATMOS speakers.

Yes, this will be more than enough power to run those.  We have folks using less on most of the pro gear.  As for pricing, it will depend on few things, condition, drivers/horns, location, etc..

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies  

I appreciate the welcome and quick replies.

The horns are the klipsch 335s I believe

and they're coming from Las Vegas.

He doesn't have any info on the usage, or age

other than they were used commercially.

I know it's a little sketchy info, but can anyone give me a range 

of what they're worth?  perhaps the surrounds and subs also - if possible

I dont want to overpay for speakers that may need work/crossovers soon

I was also considering rf-7ii and rc64ii

can I hook them up directly from my amp with RCAs? Can I bi-wire them?

Will I need a crazy amount of power to power the sub(s)? 

On September 19, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Win68 said:

A friend of mine is trying to sell me some Klipsch pro cinema gear for my room.  He has 3 KPT-904 - which i'd use for LCR he also has 2 pro series subs, not sure which model and he can said he can get some surrounds KPT-8001 I think, but I haven't seen them yet, so not positive on the model number.

ok who is this friend? where is he located? i know a few guys with this setup. wondering if it could possibly be the same guys?

1) would this work well for my home theater or be complete overkill.

your room is huge!!! i would consider NOTHING BUT cinema. everything else would be underwhelming to say the least. 

2) will my consumer amp push these speakers? (It's a 7 channel with XLR and RCA 200 wpc)  I know I'd have to get an amp for the subs and ATMOS speakers.

your room is much larger than mine and depending on levels you could need an amp, but my avr pushes my stuff to hear bleeding levels no problem. so your amp would be fine. 

3) Can anyone estimate pricing on these types of items? I know they were used commercially, but he doesn't know how many hours on them, purchase date etc.  

well used is hard to say. last few 904's i seen were all 500 each which is a great deal. i recently was gonna sell my fill 7.0 set for 3000 but decided to sit on it cause i love it and unless i move into a dinky home i will make these work. 

On September 19, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Win68 said:

The horns are the klipsch 335s I believe

and they're coming from Las Vegas.

He doesn't have any info on the usage, or age

other than they were used commercially.

can't give you much info on these. i know nothing about any of the 3 ways. the model i know is the 904.

similar sounding models would be the 325 (single 15) 904  (dual 15) and 942-4 (4 15's and larger 402 horn)

all of those models share the exact same HF driver and its the magic sauce period. from what I've been told each larger model is for extra output. 

know it's a little sketchy info, but can anyone give me a range 

of what they're worth?  perhaps the surrounds and subs also - if possible

I dont want to overpay for speakers that may need work/crossovers soon

yeah id be nervous about buying before being able to demo.  cinema gear isn't as expensive as some would think new. the kit-325 can be had new for about the same price as a RF-7ii

I was also considering rf-7ii and rc64ii

in my opinion this will be so underwhelming in that size of space it would not even be funny. 

if you want you can give me your email and i can shoot you a price quotes and give you names of the two cinema dealers i know. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scrappy, 

I appreciate your response and apologize for not getting back to you.  I didnt get an email notice and havent looked at this forum in a little while.

--

answers below

ok who is this friend? where is he located? i know a few guys with this setup. wondering if it could possibly be the same guys?

It's my friend Steve in Los Angeles.

your room is huge!!! i would consider NOTHING BUT cinema. everything else would be underwhelming to say the least. 

My room is kinda big but divided with a pony wall that divides it into 2 areas of approx 24' x 25'

so I was worried about overkill in the half that's going to be my HT.

your room is much larger than mine and depending on levels you could need an amp, but my avr pushes my stuff to hear bleeding levels no problem. so your amp would be fine. 

Ok that's great to hear - I'm starting to stress over the amp situation.  I've been reading the specs on these pieces and it's frightening.  Luckily I spoke with Trey at Klipsch who was a big help.  I'm still stressing on this tho.

well used is hard to say. last few 904's i seen were all 500 each which is a great deal. i recently was gonna sell my fill 7.0 set for 3000 but decided to sit on it cause i love it and unless i move into a dinky home i will make these work. 

can't give you much info on these. i know nothing about any of the 3 ways. the model i know is the 904.

similar sounding models would be the 325 (single 15) 904  (dual 15) and 942-4 (4 15's and larger 402 horn)

all of those models share the exact same HF driver and its the magic sauce period. from what I've been told each larger model is for extra output. 

yeah id be nervous about buying before being able to demo.  cinema gear isn't as expensive as some would think new. the kit-325 can be had new for about the same price as a RF-7ii

I was able to push sound thru them, if only a basic test.

just to update my project...

I pulled the trigger on the deal and took receipt of the gear last night.

The package is...

2ea  KPT-418

3ea KPT-435

8ea KPT-8001

I'm going to use my Emotiva amp on the KPT-435s (Left/Center/Right)

I'm thinking about buying a Crown XLS2502 to power the KPT-418s

then depending on how my Emotiva goes I might end up adding another

Emotiva 100/WPC amp for the KPT-8001s.  I'm going to have to research if my

15a circuit will be able to power all the gear, Amps, processor, etc etc.

The cabinets need a little TLC, cleaning, and paint touch up.

Also I have a missing terminal on one of the KPT-435s (the sub cabinet KPT-904), I need to track one down.

But I'm super excited to get everything hooked up eventually.

12 hours ago, Win68 said:

Also I have a missing terminal on one of the KPT-435s (the sub cabinet KPT-904), I need to track one down.

Klipsch still makes these, no? Should be able to get an exact replacement from them. When you get this dialed in let us know how it is, I'll bet its going to be nice. I'm thinking you might have to dial down the high freqs from those 3 ways unless you're putting them behind a movie screen. Audessey XT32 in that Marantz will probably do it all automatically for you.

Welcome and Congrats as Scrappy said.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Klipsch still makes these, no? Should be able to get an exact replacement from them. When you get this dialed in let us know how it is, I'll bet its going to be nice. I'm thinking you might have to dial down the high freqs from those 3 ways unless you're putting them behind a movie screen. Audessey XT32 in that Marantz will probably do it all automatically for you.

Yes I'm hoping Klipsch will be able to sell me a OEM terminal, if not I think can find something that'll work without too much trouble.

Yes, I'll post updates on it - it's a bit of a long term project since sadly, it's not my number one priority.  I'm a little better than rookie with hifi gear and this is my first pro gear so dialing in will be a challenge, but yes I'm hoping Audessey will do a lot of it for me.  I noticed a sticker on the 335 horns that states "When using the KPT-335 HF/MF with the KPT-904/940LF, the output of the KPT904/940LF will be 3db louder than the KPT-335.  Compensation for this 3db difference will have to be adjusted when tuning the room"  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, along with my other tuning issues.

I dont think I'm going to have all 3 behind my screen.  I was planning on keeping the center channel behind the screen and spread out the L and R channels for when I want to listen to stereo music. I have a 18' wall.

I have noticed a few pictures of the 904 (with whatever horns), setup side by side by side - is that the preferred setup for cinema?

thanks for the support and encouragement..  I cant wait to get this going.

Perhaps show us the pic your talking about?

and audyssey will take care of leveling everything out don't you worry about that one bit. 

Also be advised having mains way outside the screen isn't ideal at all for movies. It can be fun to have mains much wider (if they need to be) for music but movies are much more convincing when everything comes from the screen. Assuming you are doing a fairly wide screen. I have a few friends that have setup like you and then ended up having to completely redo their rooms and start over to get speakers behind screen after a few years of having it the other way. I'd suggest trying them out where they would be behind the screen and see if they image and throw the desired soundstage you like and if so, tuck them all behind the screen. 

16 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Perhaps show us the pic your talking about?

and audyssey will take care of leveling everything out don't you worry about that one bit. 

Also be advised having mains way outside the screen isn't ideal at all for movies. It can be fun to have mains much wider (if they need to be) for music but movies are much more convincing when everything comes from the screen. Assuming you are doing a fairly wide screen. I have a few friends that have setup like you and then ended up having to completely redo their rooms and start over to get speakers behind screen after a few years of having it the other way. I'd suggest trying them out where they would be behind the screen and see if they image and throw the desired soundstage you like and if so, tuck them all behind the screen. 

I guess I'm stressing out over nothing, but whenever I walk by these huge cabinets, they frighten me!!.

Here's an example of the side by side setup setup I was referring to,  

After reading what you said about the soundstage issue it makes sense..

Let me ask you about sub placing?  I was planning on putting a KPT-418-SW between each KPT-435, which will push the 435s past the screen also.  what would you recommend for sub placement?

I'm not sure what size screen I'm going to go with, I haven't really started researching that very much yet.  I'm thinking at least 120" tho.  my wall is 18' and my viewing distance is 15' from the screen

Attached is a rough mark up of my room

Living Room Diagram B.png

Wow that's an akward room. If you place mains with sub in between your speakers will be wider than your sitting area for sure. You will be off center by quite a bit I'd say. That would drive me insane. Lol. Them subs are really wide if I remember right. But shallow I think. They were designed for filler subs in the rear of the room. Gonna be tough. Are you gonna do a 16x9 screen or 2.35? 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 5:24 AM, Scrappydue said:

I'm not sure why this is showing under Scrappy's quote - and I cant seem to get rid of it - my apologies.

Yes It's an odd shaped room, which is what eventually led me to Klipsch and the pro cinema gear.

Let me just say that I'm so very glad I went this route.  I hooked up 2 of the KPT-435s for the FSU miami game.  Oh my GOD!!! the sound that comes out of these speakers is incredible!!!  I'll put up a few picsIMG_1121-s.jpgIMG_1125-s.jpg

• Like 4

I feel like this is the best kept secret in "home" theater.

I auditioned some Revel F208s, as I recall the L/R/C were in the $7,500 range,

while they sounded great, these blow them away, in my humble opinion. I understand

they're not for everyone if you have the room and ability to buy these they are fantastic.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 1:15 PM, babadono said:

You're exactly correct... I placed 2 of my KPT-435s about 12' apart and ran the room calibration.

It turned out wonderful.  It sounds like it's coming exactly from the middle, it's really amazing. 

I now have hope that I'll be able to put a 435 in each corner, along with one in the center and Audessey

will be able to correct the and adjust so I'll have good soundstage for home theater and good separation

for stereo playback.

Incidentally

I'm running 200wpc into each speaker and the sound is phenomenal, I'm going to hook up a 418-SW and

see how it sounds with 200wpc. I might be able to avoid buying a PA amp for my subs.