Memorable concerts

DizRotus

What was the first concert you attended and/or what was the most memorable?  For me it was the Byrds at the Grand Haven Beach Bash in 1965, on both counts.

Saturday a group of fellow Spartans was gathered to watch Sparty hang onto a lead, barely, against Notre Dame.  But further discussion of that belongs in wvu80's "College Football" thread,

During the game we discussed a playlist (a draft needing to be winnowed down will be attached to a subsequent post) I'm preparing for several Class of '67 50th reunions. There was a lively discussion regarding what to leave  in, what to delete and what to add.   During the discussion I mentioned that I'd seen and heard the Byrds at the WTRU Grand Haven Beach Bash Roller Rink and Ballroom.  A friend who fancies himself, correctly, as an expert on pop music, was incredulous.  "You saw the greatest American rock band . . . David Crosby, Graham Nash, Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman . . . at a roller rink?"

While he did not call me an outright liar, it was clear that he thought my medications needed adjustment.

Starting to doubt my own recollections, I did a Google search and found proof.  http://www.grandhaventribune.com/Blog/2013/08/28/IDEMA-The-night-the-Byrds-flew-into-town.html?ci=content&lp=4&p=1  The juxtaposition of the California counterculture and West Michigan innocence described in the article is further supported by another Grand Haven Tribune photo that appeared in the summer of '65.  Yours truly (pedaling) with a teammate (95#) from the wrestling team.  He went on to wrestle at Central Michigan University, I toiled for the Spartan grapplers.

For whatever reason, many big acts played the Beach Bash.  We were fortunate.

TheByrds-jpg.jpg

unicycle.jpg

• Like 1

My first concert was at a high school gym to hear Eddie Arnold. My mom and dad took me so I didn't have to stay home.

I've not been to many concerts, but I did see The Moody Blues at the Kinetic Playground  in Chicago, sometime around 1969... Awesome venue and show.

• Like 2

I haven't been to a ton of concerts either, so most are memorable: Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, George Winston (twice), Duncan Sheik (amazing cover of Radiohead's Fake Plastic Trees), Iron and Wine, Ray Lamontagne, Def Leppard/Journey.

Not sure if festivals count, but at a few EdgeFests I've seen Beck, Cage the Elephant, Muse, The Black Keys, Garbage, Evanescence, Arctic Monkeys, etc...

The Grand Haven Beach Bash had an amazing pattern of booking big acts into a roller rink.  The Byrds were the biggest, but others included: Tommy James and the Shondells, Alice Cooper, MC5, Iggy & The Stooges, The Rivieras and many more this geriatric brain cannot now easily recall.  

Upon moving to Grand Haven from Cincinnati, it was at first disappointing to learn that the much advertised "Beach Bash" was nowhere near the Lake Michigan beach, but was instead miles inland in a small roller rink.  Disappointment soon melted as the music and girls at the Beach Bash were second to none in those days.  It became a Saturday night ritual.

• Like 1

I have attended a bunch of free outdoor concerts in Chattanooga... Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (twice), Doc Watson, Maura O'Connell, David "Fathead" Newman, Richard Thompson, Cyrus Chesnutt... and more that I can't remember at the moment.

Bruce

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What was the first concert you attended

REO Speedwagon 1988

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

what was the most memorable?

That'd be a toss-up between:

-Type O Negative / Queensrÿche where I started the lighter tribute during "Silent Lucidity." Had no idea who Type O was at the time, but liked their sound.

-Hootie & the Blowfish playing the 4th of July in St. Louis 2006. Just a great night all around. Excellent weather, kick *** performance, and a seriously fantastic fireworks show.

One thing I don't like about some of the concerts is poor skills from the sound techs. It was half way through the Death Cab set before the bass drum stopped bottoming out the venue's subs. Overall, it was just too loud - especially since it wasn't a very unruly crowd. I didn't think to take any measurements, but I'm sure it could have been turned down quite a bit and been perfectly listenable. Or maybe I'm just turning into an old cranky audiophile.

Moody Blues -1973 Crisler Arena, Ann Arbor MI.

Pink Floyd- 1974 Ford Auditorium, Detroit MI

Jeff Beck- 1975 w/Blow by Blow band mates Ford Auditorium, Detroit MI

Eagles-1980 Crisler Arena

Elton John- 1983(?) Pine Knob Independence Township, MI

Weather Report 1981 Hollywood Bowl, Playboy Jazz Festival

Count Basie Orchestra & Ella Fitzgerald 1981 Hollywood Bowl, Playboy Jazz Festival

Pat Metheny 1991(?) Wiltern Theatre Los AngelesCA

My first REAL concert...   Hmmmmm.. probably the Detroit  RR Revival festival at The Michigan State fairground 1969

Lots of local Detroit rockers. But also a band I'd never heard of...The Allman Brothers, they were great.

OK the internet is telling me I got the year wrong or perhaps I went to both the 1969 and 1971 event. In any case the Allmans played at the 1971 festival.

• Like 2

My wife and I saw MGMT at Red Rocks a while back and it was supposed to rain. We brought our ski jackets/rain gear and half way through the set it started DUMPING like monsoon rain. There were literally rivers running down the stairs with drunk/drugged people slipping and thrashing about. MGMT just played through and it was pretty epic.

I also saw the Grateful Dead when I was 7 years old in Seattle with my Dad back in '94 I think. It was a cool show and I am one of the only people in my generation to have seen Jerry play.

• Like 1

One of my most memorable was GWAR in Memphis with my son. We got up front and I was pelted with fake blood through a water cannon for most of the set. It took several days to get that sludge out of my ears! I have seen some incredible bands in my 61 years but this ranks right up there for just a crazy experience....Ozzfest in 2003 was also cool because my son was 15 and we met some great people at various meet and greet's for autographs.

• Like 1