ClassDAudio

red1302

Is anyone besides me running any gear manufactured by Tom At ClassDAudio  http://www.classdaudio.net/

I "assembled" my CDA 258 kit four years ago.

It is dead quiet and has plenty of power to drive my CF-3s with clarity.

Also,Tom was very pleasant when ever I asked a question before and after my purchase

I've been curious because I've not noticed any posts about them other than my own?

John

Ive run MANY incarnations of the class D and love them with my heritage speakers... they are not for everybody, but the blackness and crisp clarity are to die for in my humble O.

I recently paired my bel canto class d's with a tube based pre amp and have discovered a wonderful sound the is way beyond a class d/SS by itself. 

I picked up some very slight noise... mainly low db hiss... but it is inaudible when the music is playing and is barely noticeable even while the system is in standby... but it is there. More than an equitable trade off.

I have had good luck with Bang and Olufson icepower based designs which I have in my Pioneer receiver and a Teac unit as well. Very clear but not harsh. Also have a Crown XLS2000 drivecore amp that is very impressive, though I have never used it full range, just on bass bins.

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

It is not easy to get a price for just the board. They do not want to sell to just anybody but they can be purchased but the last time I checked, if my memory is correct, the board itself was selling for around $1200. From what I have read about Class D some are sounding more like tubes in the vocals with the quickness and dynamics of SS. I think it is important to have a decent linear power supply for any of the Class D amplifiers and not use a switching PS . 

When you folks say "just the board" is this board populated with components? In my book "just a board" means a bare circuit board....if these are bare circuit boards even the previously mentioned $250 is some major profiteering. $1200 would be flat out insane.

Its interesting... I am getting specs as good as those now,  but not on "monolithic" architecture. I bet the price point would be much better also.

I kind of want a pair and just leave them exposed and naked like the way TI exhibited them.

Yes several expensive options that are highly rated sound wise, Pascal, NCore, and IcePower.  

I have heard the NCore in the NAD amplifiers.  Sounds very good.

I have amps based on most popular IcePower amps, 1000w, 500w, 200+w amps along with two Pioneer D3 incarnations.  Very cool running and very good sounding.

I would like to hear a Pascal based amp.   http://www.pascal-audio.com/

With TX and FL, not wanting to pay for A/C to cool tubes and to have amps you just turn on and forget (actually sound best and are longer lived if left on), these are great options.  If I lived up north I might think differently though doubtful.

On 9/21/2016 at 2:32 PM, pzannucci said:

Yes several expensive options that are highly rated sound wise, Pascal, NCore, and IcePower.  

I have heard the NCore in the NAD amplifiers.  Sounds very good.

I have amps based on most popular IcePower amps, 1000w, 500w, 200+w amps along with two Pioneer D3 incarnations.  Very cool running and very good sounding.

I would like to hear a Pascal based amp.   http://www.pascal-audio.com/

With TX and FL, not wanting to pay for A/C to cool tubes and to have amps you just turn on and forget (actually sound best and are longer lived if left on), these are great options.  If I lived up north I might think differently though doubtful.

D-Sonic switched to Pascals. http://www.d-sonic.net/

16 hours ago, catman0122 said:

D-Sonic switched to Pascals. http://www.d-sonic.net/

I would look into d-sonic if I was going to buy any other amplifiers.  Right now I have too many and some need to go since I need to downsize and get some space back.

A friend of mine who took a pair of Heresys off my hands, put together, I think the 258 version from classdaudio, and was very happy.  They are interesting products for DIY but was never able to compare head to head against any amps I have.

Each of my different amps, though all based on IcePower, have their different personalities.  And even though they should be fairly load independent, I believe it is the speaker load that makes them this way.  Definitely give yourself some time to listen carefully to each.  For all you that have multiple speakers, you will likely find out they have different amp pairings that sound best. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2016 at 6:37 AM, DizRotus said:

Power supply is important.  I power my class D "Wiener" by 12v SLA or a combination of rechargeable AA batteries (12 - 19.5 volts) that are charged with a solar panel.

Here is a really good and cheap 12V 3A Li Ion battery pack that is great for Class D amps. I use mine for boombox builds and sometimes hook it up to power my Lepai 2020 A amp for my LaScalas.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-3000mAh-2A-Super-Rechargeable-Protable-Li-ion-Battery-US-Plug-For-CCTV-/141735087797?hash=item210011ceb5:g:QPQAAOSwd0BVvv~-

• Like 1