RF 7 II power requirements

nvrloudenough

Hello, just purchased a set of RF 7 II speakers, wondering if 135 watts per channel will be enough to push them for some music but mostly for surround. Using an Onkyo TX-NR 1030 AVR, any info would be great. I know the rms is 250 on the speakers, but I'm not totally sure how I could get the 230 watts per channel out of my receiver which I read it would do somewhere. Thank you in advance. 

yes, already have atmos hooked up, replacing my Klipsch F30 synergy towers with the rf 7 II's, have a rp-450c center with 4 rp-450s as back and surround and 2 rp-140sa for atmos 1 12 velodyne and 1 12 klipsch woofer. 7.2.4

thanks for the reassurance, I was worried my avr would not be powerful enough for the rf 7 ii.

I'm running 400 watts a channel to my RF-5's and they sound great. :D  I had an original pair of 7's awhile back and ran them with a 200 watt receiver and while they sounded good they definitely seemed like they could have used more power, especially when leaning on the volume a bit.  

Looking at the back of your receiver it appears there's a bi-amp feature, I'd take advantage of that as it should help quite a bit.

onkyo 1030.jpg

9 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'm running 400 watts a channel to my RF-5's and they sound great. :D  I had an original pair of 7's awhile back and ran them with a 200 watt receiver and while they sounded good they definitely seemed like they could have used more power, especially when leaning on the volume a bit.  

Looking at the back of your receiver it appears there's a bi-amp feature, I'd take advantage of that as it should help quite a bit.

onkyo 1030.jpg

Man that is a lot of watts.  I can't imagine needing that much power.  My two watt power amp is way more than enough.  I even use a 45 watt on the RF 7 II and it is crazy lound.

Well, with a lot of power it just means the volume doesn't have to go very high. I certainly don't "need" all 400 watts.. :lol: 

Room acoustics play such a big role in how speakers respond to power and equipment, some rooms gobble up power and others don't. I once had a little 20 watt Jolida integrated on my Chorus II's in a smaller room and man did that combo sound incredibly good. Nice full sound with plenty of bass and I couldn't even turn the volume up to half without fear of getting complaints from the neighbors. After a couple of months I had moved to an old farm house and had the same set up in a slightly larger room and it just sounded like crap. It seemed to barely get loud and all the bass was gone. I remember cranking the thing up and being very disappointed. Back when I had it in the smaller room in the newer house it was perfect.

I've ran my 7ii's off a 125wpc avr, and also tried a 200wpc amp in a very large room.  The avr drove the 7ii's to extreme levels by itself.  I sold my amp and put the $ into other supporting surrounds.  I'm never against more power, but the 7ii's respond very well with lower wattage.  I could not tell the difference between my two power supplies.

• Thanks 1

as for the original question, it will be fine as long as you don't run it nearly full range and several channels driven.  I can hear my Marantz choke with Metallica concerts if I cross it over at 40 hz and crank it.  Otherwise it's fine.